Search Unity

Create roads for my game

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by Moxid, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Moxid

Moxid

Dear community,
    i have been searching for a soloution for the last 5 days but i really dont know how and where to start.
    I want to implement a system so the user can draw a line (in runtime) and then road tiles are created at the line, just like the classic city simulator games. Is the line renderer component a good place to start with?
    The roads should handle traffic system like cars moving on it and so on. Another important thing is, i need to be able to save and load the road again after restart. How would you implement this.I really need some serious advices. Thanks.

2. mgear

mgear

3. Moxid

Moxid

thank you so much. i have already taken a look at these projects. i dont have a grid because i think the grid/snapping is not the problem. so generating procedural mesh is what i need.

4. Symons

Symons

This will help alot, although if you are interested I am developing a generic code platform within unity for making city builders, tycoons and strategy games. It is not yet complete but if you are interested you could try out the early version it already has object placement, procedural spline generation (not the mesh part yet though) and other stuff like camera controls, alerts, minimap, music player, early citizen generation ect

5. Moxid

Moxid

Dear Symons,
    i am using the line renderer to draw my roads, it works awesome. I changed the view to local and rotated by 90 degrees, all good. My only goal now is to implement a method how to handle the intersections (the overlapping of 2 roads) so i can create a crossroad for exampl, by instantiating a prefab at that point of overlapping. I also would really like to see your project. Greetings.

6. Moxid

Moxid

I also forgot to mention, yes i have seen this tutorial.

7. eelbaz

eelbaz

Hi Symons

Is this an open source project we could contribute to as a community or is it only available under special circumstances?

Sounds like it would be an awesome community driven project but obviously you have to make your money somehow so I wouldn’t be overly shocked if you planned to sell the asset instead.

8. Moxid

Moxid

eelbaz it is a official tutorial.

9. Symons

Symons

Well as murado says that tutorial is a official tutorial by Joachim Holmer but my project will not be open source but it may be free or cheap, I am not sure yet. I am making a big localisation database for it that will probably by open source so people can translate more of their games. Glad to hear your project is going good murado, I have no idea how I'm going to do interactionin and things yet :)

10. marcospgp

marcospgp

For those interested, someone picked up on Road Architect development here.

Fibonaccov, MarkA2049 and mgear like this.
  11. ShawnFeatherly

ShawnFeatherly

For the simple approach, Sebastian Lague's Path Creator is an alternative to Unity-Road-Generator. It can tile a mesh along a spline. Jump to 9 minutes into this video for a demo.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
  12. mgear

mgear