Search Unity

Official Create Landscapes and Terrain Faster

Discussion in 'World Building' started by AskCarol, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Strawberries73

Strawberries73

I am a new developer creating an island game with a couple of people. The island has different sections. The player has to do something to unlock the next area of the island. So my question is: Do I need to create each section of the island separately? Because I thought I could just create one terrain island with unlockable barriers between each section and open those barriers by even triggers. Note: I am creating the island assets and most of the models in 3Dmax.

2. seldemirov

seldemirov

Hi! I sent a bug report but I'm not sure it will get through. After sending, Bug Reporter reports a connection error.

Contents Of Bug Report:
    When I installed the Terrain and ProGrids asset. I tried to change the size of the texture brush using the hotkey - "[","]". Then I got an error with a hotkey conflict. I chose which option to use and clicked "Rebind Selected". After that, the problem was not resolved and I got another one - if I click on the left mouse button, my brush size changes. Drawing has stopped working. I can't solve the problem. Saves only "Reset Packages to Defaults"

3. BahaX9810

BahaX9810

When ever I try to use Height Map (From World Machine) I get This Result, is there anyway to fix Why.png

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  4. Rowlan

Rowlan

That looks like 8-bit. You should use 16-bit.

5. razzraziel

razzraziel

Creating landscapes is no problem, there are also tons of other tools to create heightmaps. The problem is Unity doesn't support open world or do anything about that.

6. Gokcan

Gokcan

I agree. Terrain tools development is in a rest state for a long time. Water system, open worlds, proper handling trees and grass... Lots of lack of features and no news about these

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

They did add a performant grass system in the latest version but nothing for trees and terrain streaming for open worlds
    (the development isn't at rest... This year they worked on bug fixing and to bring terrain tools out of preview)

Gokcan likes this.
  8. Lymdun

Lymdun

Almost two years later, and no infos at all. Is it cancelled? What's the state of the project? Are we going to see something soon, even just a blog post or some infos about it, for real this time?

Even in the roadmap, there is literally nothing about it (https://unity.com/roadmap/unity-platform/3d-world-building)

TerraUnity, Ruchir and Gokcan like this.
  9. Gokcan

Gokcan

They sometimes like to hide some features from public. I am waiting something new with 2022 cycle...

10. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Heya! Just here to let you know it's not cancelled :)

TerraUnity, Ruchir, shikhrr and 2 others like this.