Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Create a nice dark cave but sunny outside

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by Monsterwald, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Monsterwald

Monsterwald

I have a big cave area which needs to be dark, outside area bright. The mesh doesnt't has holes, there is no entry point for light, except those two tunnels on both sides but they are small and hotizontal.

I spend days trying to get it right, tried everything I could find. Made a giant box outside to block the light, which it doesn't, used reflection probes (didn't made a difference), created a different additive scene with different lightbaking, two sided mesh, which kinda worked but with a heck ton of artifacts, local Volume, which kinda works too but extremely weird. From the outside it looks like a giant bright sunny cave and only gets dark once you enter it, which is not really natural. I'm certain I forgot few other things... too tired to think now. Is it even possible?

oh and I use hdrp render pipeline.

2. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

What you are trying to achieve is doable both with fully realtime lighting and with baked GI. You are most likely running into issues due to suboptimal scene setup.

In your post you claim that you resorted to lightmapping your scene, although your directional light mode is set to Realtime - is this intentional? Realtime lights will not contribute to GI - only mixed and baked lights do.

I would strongly suggest watching the following videos which cover lightmapping process in greater detail: