Search Unity

1. Engage, network and learn at Unite Austin 2017, Oct 3 - 5. Get your ticket today!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs! Find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out all the fixes for 5.6 on the patch releases page.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Unity 2017.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Unity 2017.2 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice

Create a game from scratch: Top-down Shooter

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Random-username, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Random-username

Random-username

Hello! My name's Sebastian - a few of you may be familiar with my ongoing series on creating a platform/sidescroller game.
    This new series is aimed at showing you how to create a complete top-down shooter game. As we progress feel free to suggest features you'd like to see implemented, and I'll be sure to cover them.

In part one we'll set up a controller that can move around, rotate and constrain to collisions, as well as making the camera follow it around.

PART TWO: covers the set up of an alternative control scheme and the basis of our gun system.

PART THREE: covers the addition of gun shot sfx, tracer bullets, shell physics and more.

PART FOUR: covers the addition of a character model with animations, as well as weapon equipping functionality.

PART FIVE: covers weapon switching and the creation of a base 'Entity' class, allowing the player and future adversaries to take damage and die.

PART SIX: covers the implementation of a level-up system with some basic HUD (an exp bar) to accompany it.

PART SEVEN: covers a weapon reload system, with animations and HUD to boot.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  2. Random-username

Random-username

Part two released, it covers setting up an alternative control scheme and begins work on the gun system.

3. Random-username

Random-username

Part three is now out and expands upon the simple gun set-up of part 2 with sfx, tracer bullets and shell physics.

4. Random-username

Random-username

5. MinhDao

MinhDao

Amazing! I'll follow your tutorial. Thank you!

6. Random-username

Random-username

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  7. DrunkMafia

DrunkMafia

Great tutorials man, I am a Java programmer and following your tutorials has taught me c#. As well as how to use Unity3D, thanks for making these and I hope you continue to make other tutorials after this series.

8. Creelin

Creelin

Nice series. I enjoyed it thoroughly thus far.

9. Random-username

Random-username

10. Random-username

Random-username

Happy new year, I hope you all have a great 2014.
    With that out the way, here's part 7. It covers weapon reloading with animations and a HUD to display the current ammo. WATCH HERE

Remember to leave your suggestions for future episodes if there's anything you would particularly like to see covered.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  11. MithosKuu

MithosKuu

This is looking really cool, any chance you might cover multiplayer with this?

Mr.BroDangles likes this.
  12. weashell

weashell

Thanks for such nice tutorial Random username =) looking forward to learn more from you as beginner.. I hope you will keep improving that game with us.

Also any chance you can teach about melee combat maybe knife or katana with that tutorial?

13. Ares121

Ares121

Great Tutorial Sebastion. I found your tutorials on youtube first before I saw you had a thread here. I am stuck on an issue involving my shells bouncing. It has to do with the OnTriggerEnter not functioning after the prefab is instantiated. It works perfectly when I manually drop the prefab in the scene. It's driving me crazy and I see the potential for running into a similar issue in future projects. Here is my question in more detail on the Answers forum http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/734538/why-is-my-codec-not-being-called-when-prefab-is-in.html.