Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Create a custom segment based on an event

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by tinman, Mar 30, 2017.

1. tinman

tinman

Not a Unity Analytics user yet. Was wondering if it's possible to build a funnel, or show retention where the segment has had a certain event (perhaps also with a specific value) occur at a certain date. For example, start a funnel only with players who had event 'X' at D0. Is this possible with UA?
    Thanks.

2. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Hi @tinman,

I'm not exactly following your explanation, but I think the answer is 'yes'. Unity Analytics can certainly create funnels, and those funnels can be segmented based on, for example, a particular event that occurred on Day 0. The one bit I'm less clear on is where you say "show retention". You can see retention based on the same segment (in a different view from the funnel view), so my sense is that we can accommodate this use case.

3. tinman

tinman

Thanks @marc_tanenbaum , sorry for not being clear. But yes I think you understood me correctly. I want to see retention (D1, D3, D7 etc) of users who have triggered a specific event at Day 0 (ie, an event which did not happen to everyone at D0). I currently only have access to the demo app. Would you mind guiding me as to how to do this? Would be a great help to get started in the right direction.

4. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

We need more tutorial docs! :)

Once you've activated Analytics for your project, go to the dashboard and find the "Segment Builder" tab. Click the button to create a new segment. When creating a segment, the default view is a segment based on an event...so pretty much just fill out the form. You'll want to add a second rule based on "User's first session is" less than 1 day ago.

You can then go to the "Funnel Analyzer" tab and create a new funnel. Again, just fill out the form to build your funnel.

Implementing the events themselves is detailed here: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityAnalyticsCustomEvents.html

A key thing to understand is that it typically takes a few hours between the creating of a segment/funnel and the time that data begins to populate on your dashboard.

Hope that helps!

5. tinman

tinman

That does indeed! Thought that might be the case but I couldn't create the custom segment on the demo app (which makes sense). Thank you!

marc_tanenbaum likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman

@marc_tanenbaum I'd like to follow up if that's alright. I noticed you wrote ""User's first session is" less than 1 day ago." Does that mean if we are looking for a particular event at Day 0 we need to always look at yesterday? Or, can we create a segment with a rule of 'Triggered event 'X'' at D0, and then see the date range and their retention. Something along the lines in the image:
    upload_2017-4-3_13-54-25.png