Search Unity

Third Party Creare my own Photon server

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by slavikjocker, Oct 13, 2018.

1. slavikjocker

slavikjocker

Hello everyone. I wanna ask you about photon server. Currently i have some online functions in my game, but 20 CCU is not so much, and i have no more money right now, but have PC (G4560, 8GB RAM, 100 mbps network, 1TB HD). How can i create my own server?

megabrobro likes this.
  2. megabrobro

megabrobro

I am at the exact same situation. I made a way using Unity if I manually input my IP and host the game as Host Client at my end. It worked but I'm still struggling how to perfect it all. (Also sadly hear that all of UNET is being phased out soon but I am not clear as to what its being replaced with).

Unfortunately much of the Unity documentation and 'help' seems to point you towards using their own Matchmaking service. But currently with UNET that is optional and you can use the direct connection to connect gamers together. I've been struggling getting to learn it all for well over a year and still haven't managed it properly. (I think the term 'Master Server' may be of help to you if you can read that stuff and understand it -forgive me if i'm wrong tho!)

slavikjocker likes this.
  3. slavikjocker

slavikjocker

Thank you for response! I seen 1 week ago in official Photon web-site somethink like "Your own server", and there are some files

4. megabrobro

megabrobro

wow, that is news to me! I will certainly take a look at this for my own games. That would be crazy nice of Photon to include a way for us to host our own servers at home for free. Thanks for the info mate

5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Photon does have a way to host the server yourself. It is called "Photon Server" and the free license includes 100 CCU instead of 20 CCU. They will not offer an unlimited CCU free license.

https://www.photonengine.com/en-US/Server/pricing

A "free" alternative would be to create your own server solution using an available free networking API and self host.

megabrobro likes this.
  6. megabrobro

megabrobro

This sounds exactly the kind of thing i need to learn more about. thank you!