Search Unity

Crazy fancy ASUS Android can't run Unity VR apps???

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by batchku, May 16, 2017.

1. batchku

batchku

Hello all,
    I'm working with an Asus Zen Zoom phone, which is the one included in Google's "Google Expedition" packs sold at Best Buy and such. It's the phone they recommend for their VR apps.

I'm trying to run a Unity VR app I've made on this phone, but the phone doesn't enter split-screen VR mode when the app starts. I have tested this app on several other androids (Samsung S6, Google Nexus 5X, Moto G4, Google Pixel) and it works on all of them just fine! But the same app just gets stuck on the Asus. The app doesn't crash, but it acts like it doesn't now how to do VR so the splash screen takes up the whole screen (instead of dual/split-screen) and once i enter the app there appears to be no gyros working.

Crazy!

Anyone have any experience with this?
    Is there something more/special I need to do explicitly in code to make it work?

Thank you!

Ali

2. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Do you see any issues/errors/crashes in the log cat output on the device?

3. batchku

batchku

Hello,
    Thank you for your response @joejo

I just check the log can and i see this important but non-descript message:

> 05-16 18:02:26.649 9114-9129/? E/Unity: Unable to find gvr

Needless to say, I don't get this on the other phones, and this is phone is a GoogleVR capable phone as it can run other GoogleVR apps just fine.

What do you think?

4. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

And you have all the system updates installed?

5. batchku

batchku

Yes indeed.
    I have gone to the preferences > System update and check for updates; no new updates.
    It's running android 6.0.1 which matches the minimum requirements of my app.

Are there other things to update?

6. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Daydream is only supported in Android 7 or higher. If you are running 6 then cardboard is the only thing you can use and I think you have to install that separately?

7. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Hmm... actually, the error message would imply that the APK you built is missing the GVR libraries that should be packaged in them. When you built, where there any warnings in the console that you were aware of?

If you unpack your APK, there should be the following libraries in there:
    ./lib/armeabi-v7a/libgvr.so
    ./lib/armeabi-v7a/libmain.so
    ./lib/armeabi-v7a/libmono.so
    ./lib/armeabi-v7a/libunity.so

If not then something definitely went wrong with your build.

8. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Probably not the cause here because his phone should be backwards compatible with armeabi-v7a but is the any reason the plugin you bundle with the editor from google doesn't have arm 8 64 or x86 in it? If you go to google's github their current version has both of these.

9. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

@greggtwep16 My understanding: We don't support 64bit arm at all right now, and x86 is only really valid for the Android emulators which are not the best place to run or test VR in.

10. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

This thread seems to indicate otherwise at least for x86.

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/cardboard-native-issue-with-android-x86-smartphones-on-5-6.465238/

Edit: Actually I think this is the very reason for the issue. I originally misready OP's post as being zenfone 3 zoom (which is arm) but the original zenfone zoom was an x86 phone.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  11. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Google may have all three in their repo, and Unity may support x86 in general, but we only test and ship integrated Google VR with armeabi-v7a.

12. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

13. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Did not realize it was an x86 phone! :-S

Thank you for your help here.

greggtwep16 likes this.