Search Unity

Crashes when saving anything on Unity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Iluumine, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Iluumine

Iluumine

Whenever I try to save anything on Unity, the program will just freeze and become untouchable, forcing me to use task manager to close it. I am using Unity 2019.2.17f1 on Windows 10 x64. Any help would be appreciated, as this has been an annoying problem for quite a while.

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Does it happens with empty project?

Try earlier version of Unity.

How much memory your desktop has?

3. Iluumine

Iluumine

Sorry for replying so late,

It happens whether or not there is anything in the project, even if it is empty.

When you say earlier, how early exactly?

My desktop has 16gb of memory.

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

2018. LTS, 2017 LTS

5. Iluumine

Iluumine

The 2018 LTS was the first Unity I got, and it was when I discovered the problem. After researching for some while, I found out that some people updated their Unity, so I did the same. Unfortunately, the problem was not fixed for me.

Also, this isn't just happening on Unity, it's happening on other programs as well, such as Photoshop. It's just that Unity was the first place where I encountered this problem.

If I say that the 2018 LTS has not worked, would I still have to install the 2017 LTS as well?

6. Antypodish

Antypodish

You can install 2017, to at least try. Your Unity shouldn't be updated, but created separate installation by default.

Since you say you have problem with other software as well, you most likely have other issues on PC, which is beyond general scope of this forum.

But you can try to update .NET framework.
    Also check antivirus, if it blocks, or blocks any software.

Narrowing problems down, without deeper diagnostic may be difficult.
    I would rather avoid OS reinstallation when possible, but sometimes may clear general OS mess.
    However, you could try recovery points, if you are familiar with. Is not guaranteed it will work, nor that you have, or have working restoration point. It depends, how far such source of issue reaches.
    If that fails, you could try repair OS, so most of your software and data on OS partition stays intact.
    However, always remember to backup your data and move to other location (not as same as OS partition).

7. knobblez

knobblez

How much room do you have on your hard drive? Maybe its full?

8. Iluumine

Iluumine

When I first got the problem and the update didn't help, the first thing I did was to get rid of stuff in my hard drive. At that time I had around 40gbs of space. Now, I only have 4.

9. Iluumine

Iluumine

I do not have any antiviruses on my computer and I did not lose any important projects that I need, it was just a testing ground.

However, how would restoration points work? Especially since the things I try to save will never appear in my folders.

Also, if I was to repair my OS, what is the likely chance of this problem being solved?

10. Antypodish

Antypodish

If you repair OS, problem should be rather solved, since you have more than one software affected.

OS like windows has backup and restoration points, which allows save configuration of system, at the time, before any significant changes. For example, before software installation.

Using such restoration point, providing it exists, allow you got back, before software, driver, update happened.
    That also providing, you know when problem start curing.

Is not much, but should not be a cause for Unity software to crash at startup.

On side note, least probable, but there could be also hardware issue.

11. Iluumine

Iluumine

I haven't been able to reply or try to do any methods due to my PC being moved yesterday.

But, I just found out that the problem doesn't occur in Microsoft Word, Excel or any of Microsoft's software. However, Photoshop is the only other software that has this problem.

Apart from that, unless the methods work, I am still stuck here with this problem.

12. zadda

zadda

Are you by any change using the "Controlled folder access" feature of Windows Defender in Windows 10?
    I have this enabled and I remember that it gave me issues when I wanted to save something in Photoshop until I made an exception for it (in allowed apps). To make sure if it's enabled or not, just type in "controlled folder access" in the start menu search bar and click the settings to check.

It also gave issues with Unity but that was not with saving if I recall. Only wehn I wanted to build it wouldn't build until I made an exception for it as well.

13. Iluumine

Iluumine

I just spent a few minutes trying to find the 'controlled folder access', and so far, no luck. I have watched a lot of videos and none have helped me. If you know why, that would be great.

14. zadda

zadda

15. Iluumine

Iluumine

16. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

4 GB of space free is basically full. Time for a bigger drive.