Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Crashes and freezes (macOS, m1)

Discussion in '2022.1 Beta' started by antonkudin, Apr 3, 2022.

1. antonkudin

antonkudin

Getting freezes and occasional crashes when operating UI. Happens randomly when toggling maximized game view, switching scene/game tab, opening or closing animator/animation tabs, stopping playback, recompiling..

Attached couple days of crashes (those don't generate when it freezes and I have to force quit).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
    Ceylan12 likes this.
  2. antonkudin

antonkudin

Keeping on b11 because later versions have List rendering bug.

3. merpheus

merpheus

Along with crashes, there are problems in GraphView API rendering. It seems like it runs at 5 fps on MBP M1 max. It is almost impossible to use neither shader graph nor vfx graph.

4. adslitw

adslitw

5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Which bug reports? Do you have a bug number?

6. antonkudin

antonkudin

7. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Can you guys file bug reports through the bug reporter? Unfortunately we cannot investigate them just from forum posts. I don't work on Apple silicon support anymore so I can't provide direct support either...

Apologies for the previous response, I somehow managed to miss the context of the thread.

ardacakir365 likes this.
  8. adslitw

adslitw

yeah sorry, meant to say crash logs, not bug reports.

I haven't filed a bug yet because I haven't noticed a pattern and I definitely can't reproduce on demand. And as I said in the other thread, I wanted to figure out if it's a 'me' problem or a 'you' problem before reporting a bug.

9. TG1980

TG1980

I am on an Intel Mac and for me the Unity 2022 alphas and betas crash every ten minutes or so even when it's just idling in the background.
    Almost every time I add or remove a source file it crashes, or most of the time when Unity refreshes the asset database.
    I can not provide a repro project as the constant random crashes seem to happen even with a totally empty project.
    I have submitted tons of bug reports but stopped clicking the report bug button on crashes as I am asked for repro steps, and I can not provide them as Unity crashes on its own even with an empty project.

AlejMC and editmodestudio like this.
  10. Havokki

Havokki

Yeah, keeps freezing several times a day. Happens at many different situations: saving assets, opening color picker, changing scenes, and compiling code. Haven't seen anything in editor log yet, it seems Unity is busy doing nothing.

Sometimes it even takes macOS with it, freezing the whole computer (audio still works). It stays like that for half a minute, then macOS becomes functional again, but I need to force quit Unity.

I can try to report a bug, but I have no repro steps and I cannot legally share the project. What I can say, is that our project has no code that would be automatically executed when changing any assets (no asset processors or those InitializeOnLoad callbacks).

EDIT:
    My computer is MacBook Air (M1, 2020), macOS 12.3.1.
    The project is using Unity 2022.1.0b10. I also tried with b16 but no difference. I did not notice this happening in Unity 2021.

RoaringHeart and noio like this.
  11. TG1980

TG1980

It happens with an empty project as well, it's just Unity that's being broken again. They ask us for repro steps and I tell them that the repro steps are to use their own tools!! They would literally just need to open an empty project and let it sit for a few minutes, or click around and it'd crash after a few minutes. But nobody at Unity seems to test anything.

12. humanflag

humanflag

im running into similar issues, constant crashes, even the bug reporter crashed :D tried downloading the latest version

Attached Files:

13. storycoding

storycoding

Same here, macbook air m1 2020.

14. chemicalcrux

chemicalcrux

I am also randomly hanging in Unity 2021.3.9f1 on Silicon. I don't know how to file bug reports because this doesn't generate a crash log: the editor just gets stuck, and I have to force-quit it.

It's particularly likely to do this during a build. I always have a decent chance of having to restart the build process.

Perhaps I should attach a debugger while it's frozen? I presume this is a deadlock, which should be reasonably easy to spot...

edit: just froze on me during a build again! All of the Burst-JitCompilerService threads are stuck trying to grab compiler jobs:

Code (csharp):
    2. System.Threading.WaitHandle.Wait_internal (Unknown Source:0)
    3. System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitMultiple (Unknown Source:0)
    4. System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitAny (Unknown Source:0)
    5. System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitAny (Unknown Source:0)
    6. System.Collections.Concurrent.BlockingCollection<Burst.Compiler.IL.Jit.JitCompilerService.CompileJob>.TryTakeFromAnyCoreSlow (Unknown Source:0)
    7. System.Collections.Concurrent.BlockingCollection<Burst.Compiler.IL.Jit.JitCompilerService.CompileJob>.TryTakeFromAnyCore (Unknown Source:0)
    8. System.Collections.Concurrent.BlockingCollection<Burst.Compiler.IL.Jit.JitCompilerService.CompileJob>.TakeFromAny (Unknown Source:0)
    9. Burst.Compiler.IL.Jit.JitCompilerService.CompilationQueue.Take (Unknown Source:0)
    10. ...

The main thread is blocked in EditorUserBuildSettings.SwitchActiveBuildTarget.

I can try to prepare a more coherent report if I can get some guidance on what would be helpful!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  15. Ceylan12

Ceylan12

I have exactly same freezes, it randomly happens usually while maximising game view, saving prefab things like that. I'm here to see if Unity can come up with solution.

16. dawidwdev

dawidwdev

Same problem here. I just downloaded Unity after not using it for a few years and I already have a blocker...

AlejMC likes this.
  17. AlejMC

AlejMC

Having a similar issue, macOS Ventura, Unity 2021.3.16f1 (the one that solved the serious in-editor performance)... can't pin point it, don't know exactly what happens but randomly the system just enters in a stale state, beach balls when it's on focus, Activity Monitor shows "Unity (not responding)" and very low CPU usage. Feels as if something timed out.

I have a couple of projects in this situation:
    - One does this stale state randomly at times... usually it happens when doing script changes on an IDE and coming back to the Unity Editor. It's very random and on it's own.
    - The other is a long process script that runs over a series of models inside a folder, it displays an EditorUtility progress bar with a cancel button. This one is guaranteed at some point to get in that non-responding state too. Workaround is to run the process several times (skipping the files that succeeded) to chew through the folder.

Can try to create a repo scene and submit over the weekend.

18. razveck

razveck

Having this exact problem. Happens at random. I don't even have to do anything, I just open a project and after some time the editor freezes.
    MacBook Air 2020 (M1)
    MacOS Monterey 12.5

19. gasparo8

gasparo8

Has Unity addressed this issue? I use a MacBook M1 from 2020 and Unity ver 2021.3.8f1. It seems I get the rainbow pinwheel every 10 minutes and have to force quit. Thus, losing my progress. I tweak sprites/animations, go to save, and spinning pinwheel. Any solutions?

Sh1nySh1ny likes this.
  20. NanoH

NanoH

Same problem here. I'm wondering if using previous version might make the problem go away or less frequent ?

Edit: Running the intel version solved it for me. 2022.2.5f1

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  21. LoadingHome

LoadingHome

In my case the crashes stop occurring if I disable the option "Vsync" from the game view

22. Ehtis

Ehtis

turnign vsync off is not resolving the issue of crashing neither converting to intel version of 2022.2.5f1. Need urgent help please.

bartofzo likes this.
  23. bartofzo

bartofzo

Same problem. M2 macbook pro. Unity hangs at random, usually when I hit save in a prefab. It even corrupted data several times. Total workflow killler

24. adslitw

adslitw

I've started hanging loads recently too. 2022.2.5. I just started using Rider, I was wondering whether it might be the plugin for that or something.

25. michelecipriani80

michelecipriani80

Same problem on Macbook PRO M1 Max v2021.3.24f1

26. noio

noio

Exactly this happens to me as well. Every other time I save a prefab Unity hangs and I have to kill it.

The fact that it freezes makes it hard to send a crash report! (Or is there another way? The Editor log doesn't show the crash I think)

And yeah, when starting again, the prefab is corrupted and needs a reimport. Absolute "Workflow Killer" as @bartofzo said.

Is there a bug report for this issue already? How should we create one if there's no crash? Can we help the Unity team diagnose this?

@Tautvydas-Zilys I once sent in a bug report for this but it got closed as not reproducable :(.

I recently sent another one (IN-40298) but I haven't gotten a response yet.

unity_pQirYwzPLiEXiw likes this.
  27. PudgePacket

PudgePacket

What's interesting is when this happens to me and I force quit the frozen editor, the Mac crash report utility actually mentions the Unity Hub.

There's no way to send a Unity bug report as there is no opened crash report window after force quitting.

28. noio

noio

On Unity 2022.2.21f it doesn't crash (so far) but it does still corrupt the prefabs.

Submitted another bug report for that: IN-42656

29. orenwang

orenwang

In my case I'm convinced it's a network issue... although I 100% sure about this

30. bartofzo

bartofzo

Updated to 2021.3.29f1, random crashes occur less often, but still hangs frequently during script recompilation where I have to force quit the application.

31. In2Play

In2Play

This wasn't fixed yet? I came from 2021.3f to 2022.3.19f1, thought this was fixed but it's freezing randomly on me stil..

32. In2Play

In2Play

Getting back after a day, asking the same question - is Unity even aware of this bug on M1 devices? It was 2 years of work, constantly working with Unity that was freezing, now I updated to 2022.3.19f1 in hopes this was fixed but it's not.

Are m1 users really that niche that Unity doesn't care to fix this issue?

33. zharty

zharty

It seems that answer is "yes". I have the same problems on m2 (macbook pro).