Search Unity

Crashes and Exceptions (what's the difference)

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Diagnostics' started by assaf_hershko, Apr 4, 2020.

1. assaf_hershko

assaf_hershko

So, in the Cloud Diagnostic reports, some issues are classed as "Crashes" and some are classed as "Unhandled Exceptions".
    This may be a silly question, but... what's the difference? I mean, an unhandled exception would crash the game, right? Or am I misunderstanding something here...?

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @assaf_hershko, that's a good question. The reports in the Unhandled Exceptions are C# exceptions that your application is not catching in a try-catch block. These do not result in a crash (the application keeps running), but may result in unexpected behavior.

Reports that are listed as Crashes are something that has gone wrong in native code (typically the C++ code of plugins or Unity itself), and has resulted in the application being terminated.

C-Gabriel likes this.
  3. assaf_hershko

assaf_hershko

Thank you :)

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  4. unity_7CBV7b84AJQ2XA

unity_7CBV7b84AJQ2XA

Hello @ryanc-unity I was just reading this thread and exploring Cloud Diagnostics. My app is currently facing ANR problems due to which its downloads are decreasing. So i wanted to ask if there are unhandled exceptions in my game, is it possible that those unhandled exceptions might lead to ANRs? I'll be thankful if you can give me an insight about this.