Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Crash with Planar Reflection Probe

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by HD-MI, Oct 2, 2018.

1. HD-MI

HD-MI

Hello,

I'm experiencing a crash to desktop upgrading my project from 2018.2 to the latest beta and HDRP 4.0.0. First the crash seemed to happen every time I inserted a camera in my scene and moved it around. Sometimes it happened instantly when inserting the camera. There are no error messages in the console.

However upon further inspection I noticed that everything's fine as soon as I turn off my scene's Planar Reflection Probe. So something only goes wrong when moving the camera around and having one in the scene. The regular editor camera and Play mode work fine though (my project spawns a character controller with a camera in the scene when pressing play and this works fine).

The Planar Reflection Probe always worked fine in 2018.2. Any ideas how to get around this?

PS: I'm also using Cinemachine but that also never caused such problems in the past.

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Could you please submit a bug report for this issue with a minimal reproduction project and reply in here with the issue ID?

hippocoder likes this.
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

4. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi,

When tested on local project we can't reproduce this issues. We need more information.

If you create a new scene and add a planar reflection, does it work? If you recreate a planar reflection in your current scene, does it work ?

The reflection system have get a big upgrade, it is possible that the upgrading have corrupt some data.

thanks

5. HD-MI

HD-MI

Hello, thank you for the replies! I tried making a new scene in the same project and also in another project and planar reflections worked fine. It is indeed something wrong with that specific scene and project that was made in 2018.2. In addition, my scene uses lots of custom plugins and (now legacy) features such as terrain with a custom HDRP material, which I'm suspecting may be one cause of problems.

I'll see if I can easily make a stripped down scene for reproduction and file a report. Unity swag does sound appealing.. :D

LeonhardP likes this.
  6. HD-MI

HD-MI

I've fixed the issue by duplicating the terrain asset that I had made in 2018.2. The old terrain used a LayeredLitTessellation shader via a hacky method similar to the Book of the Dead setup. The new terrain uses the TerrainLit shader instead. Having a camera and a planar reflection probe no longer crash my scene.

Thanks for your help @LeonhardP and @SebLagarde ! I would like to ask however if TerrainLit will support tessellation displacement in the future? The new setup is a bit of a downgrade eyecandy wise, since my terrain no longer gets tessellated on material level. The LayeredLitTessellation shader no longer works on the new terrain at all and results in weird flickering.

7. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    There is still development plan for terrain, but currently nothing is plan to get features parity between LayeredLitTessellation and builtin terrain tech.

HD-MI likes this.