Search Unity

Crash with Bolt on Android

Discussion in 'Visual Scripting' started by mattvnr, Sep 26, 2020.

1. mattvnr

mattvnr

I upgraded two of my projects to Unity 2020.1.4f1 (previously using 2019) using Bolt (previously used 1.4.11f2 from Ludiq). I have upgraded Bolt to the official version from Unity (1.4.12).

Whenever I build my projects and run the first scene with an object that has a Flow, the App crashes. I'm not sure if it has to do with serialization.

When I run scenes with no Bolt Components, the scenes run fine.

Steps to reproduce the error with a blank slate project:
    - Create a new project based on the URP template
    - Install Bolt through the package manager
    - In the example scene, pick any object and add a Flow Machine
    - Make it an embedded graph
    - Player Settings -> Set Scripting Backend to IL2CPP and API-Compatibility Level to .NET4.x
    - Window -> Variables -> Saved -> Initial: Create a dummy boolean variable test with value unchecked
    - File -> Build Settings: Build App Bundle
    - Build and Run -> App crashes on startup
    - Remove the Flow Machine previously created
    - Build and Run: -> App runs fine

I originally attributed this to the major project upgrade, but it also happens on a fresh project (2020 + 1.4.12). Other solutions like disabling auto backup also didn't work: https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-2019-x-il2cpp-crash-on-android-8.673972/page-2

I have attached the crash report for versions built using Mono and IL2CPP respectively from Logcat.

I'm no longer able to update my projects :( Any hints to potential solutions would be highly appreciated.

Update:
    Looks like there's an issue already: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...ilding-with-bolt-and-il2cpp-scripting-backend

Matt

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  2. tdx110

tdx110

If the bug is still present, there is a solution to it.
    If you have IL2CPP turned on you have to do Tool -> Bolt -> Press "AOY Pre-Build ...".
    It seems that all scripts after changing from Mono to IL2CPP need to be rebuilt.

3. mattvnr

mattvnr

Thanks for following up. I have upgraded Unity and switched from Bolt to Visual Scripting in the meantime. The issue is no longer present. Unfortunately I don't remember, but at some point the issue just went away. Anyway, thanks for checking.