Search Unity

Crash with back button

Discussion in 'Android' started by peabody124, Jan 1, 2019.

1. peabody124

peabody124

I'm running my unity application as one activity within a number of them, so want the back button to work and go through the back stack. I'm overriding UnityPlayerActivity (primarily to hook into a service related to my application). I made the code hook the back button by overriding the default onKeyDown:

Code (JavaScript):
    1.     @Override
    2.     public void onBackPressed() {
    3.         exiting = true;
    4.         super.onBackPressed();
    5.     }
    7.     @Override
    8.     public boolean onKeyDown(int keyCode, KeyEvent event) {
    9.         if ((keyCode == KeyEvent.KEYCODE_BACK)) {
    10.             onBackPressed();
    11.             return true;
    12.         }
    13.         return super.onKeyDown(keyCode, event);
    14.     }
    And what I found was this crash:
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. 2019-01-01 11:57:26.858 31376-31376/org.sralab.emgimu E/AndroidRuntime: FATAL EXCEPTION: main
    2.     Process: org.sralab.emgimu, PID: 31376
    3.     java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'boolean android.view.WindowInsets.isConsumed()' on a null object reference
    4.         at android.view.ViewGroup.dispatchApplyWindowInsets(ViewGroup.java:7077)
    5.         at android.view.ViewRootImpl.dispatchApplyInsets(ViewRootImpl.java:1661)
    6.         at android.view.ViewRootImpl.performTraversals(ViewRootImpl.java:2074)
    7.         at android.view.ViewRootImpl.doTraversal(ViewRootImpl.java:1460)
    8.         at android.view.ViewRootImpl$TraversalRunnable.run(ViewRootImpl.java:7183)
    9.         at android.view.Choreographer$CallbackRecord.run(Choreographer.java:949)
    10.         at android.view.Choreographer.doCallbacks(Choreographer.java:761)
    11.         at android.view.Choreographer.doFrame(Choreographer.java:696)
    12.         at android.view.Choreographer$FrameDisplayEventReceiver.run(Choreographer.java:935)
    13.         at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:873)
    14.         at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
    15.         at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:193)
    16.         at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:6680)
    17.         at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
    18.         at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:493)
    19.         at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:858)
    This crash is dependent on the call to mUnityPlayer.onPause() in UnityPlayerActivity. Unfortunately I cannot find a workaround that doesn't break encapsulation so I had to implement

Code (JavaScript):
    1.     protected void safePause()
    2.     {
    3.         super.onPause();
    4.     }
    6.     // Pause Unity
    7.     @Override protected void onPause()
    8.     {
    9.         super.onPause();
    10.         mUnityPlayer.pause();
    11.     }
    In UnityPlayerActivity. I'm not sure if there is something more clever I should be doing to prepare the player for the close, but this seems to reflect a bug in Unity as far as I can tell. This is with 2018.3.02f on OSX compiling via Gradle compiling with API 28.

2. peabody124

peabody124

One problem with my workaround is that it is now leaking a ServiceConnection. (Intent { act=com.google.android.gms.ads.identifier.service.START pkg=com.google.android.gms })

Code (JavaScript):
    1. 2019-01-01 13:22:46.394 25071-25071/org.sralab.emgimu E/ActivityThread: Activity org.sralab.emgimu.powerhammer.PowerHammerActivity has leaked ServiceConnection null that was originally bound here
    2.     android.app.ServiceConnectionLeaked: Activity org.sralab.emgimu.powerhammer.PowerHammerActivity has leaked ServiceConnection null that was originally bound here
    3.         at android.app.LoadedApk$ServiceDispatcher.<init>(LoadedApk.java:1610)
    4.         at android.app.LoadedApk.getServiceDispatcher(LoadedApk.java:1502)
    5.         at android.app.ContextImpl.bindServiceCommon(ContextImpl.java:1659)
    6.         at android.app.ContextImpl.bindService(ContextImpl.java:1612)
    7.         at android.content.ContextWrapper.bindService(ContextWrapper.java:698)
    8.         at org.sralab.emgimu.powerhammer.PowerHammerActivity.bindService(PowerHammerActivity.java:63)
    9.         at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.nativeRender(Native Method)
    10.         at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.c(Unknown Source:0)
    11.         at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer$e$2.queueIdle(Unknown Source:72)
    12.         at android.os.MessageQueue.next(MessageQueue.java:395)
    13.         at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:160)
    14.         at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer$e.run(Unknown Source:32)
    I'm guessing this must be unbound by onPause. This also doesn't seem to happen unless I request binding my service. Either way, I filter out this intent and don't forward it to bindService and things seem to work.

3. Zeeppo-Games

Zeeppo-Games

Hi! Did you solve this or found where the problem was? We are having lots and lots of crashes like this on our game on Android 9 (API 28). Thanx!

4. badjano

badjano

bump

EDIT: We are having this problem whenever we finish the activity and if UnityPlayer is added to the view hierarchy, if we add UnityPlayer to anywhere inside the layout, or even remove it a few seconds before closing the activity, the crash occurs

EDIT: Also only on API 28, tested on 2018.3.6 and still no change

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  5. pertz

pertz

6. MochiBits

MochiBits

I just upgraded from 2018.3.2 to 2018.3.12 and we also started getting 100s of crashes from Users trying to exit the app. It crashed for myself too and could see the error in Logcat.

Rolled back to 2018.3.2 and its back to normal, no crashing.

7. Neozman

Neozman

Also strugglin with this error. Ver 2018.3.12

8. Neozman

Neozman

Any ideas?

9. Zeeppo-Games

Zeeppo-Games

No solution yet? I don't know what to do anymore. Still happening on 2019.1.2

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  10. achimeno

achimeno

Any solution?

11. unity_xrPBQ-2zcfd-DA

unity_xrPBQ-2zcfd-DA

Any solution I am also facing the same crash.

12. Zeeppo-Games

Zeeppo-Games