Search Unity

Crash with Android Release il2cpp hybrid renderer v2 builds

Discussion in 'Graphics for ECS' started by BuzzJive, Mar 17, 2022.

1. BuzzJive

BuzzJive

Got some cool stuff running but having troubles with builds. I started on Unity 2021.1.1 and was able to get the Hybrid Renderer to perform as expected in the Editor and on Develop Android builds (Quest 2 specifically) - using both il2cpp and Mono. But when I try to use Release il2cpp 64-bit builds it crashes after the Unity splash but before the game starts. Didn't seem to get much useful from logcat. I tried Unity 2021.1.28 and Unity 2021.2.14 and they both crash there as well. Bug has been submitted - with just a custom scene from the HybridURPSamples project:

(Case 1411483) Il2cpp 64-bit builds crash or fail on Android -Hybrid Renderer V2

@joelv sorry to ping directly but I'd love to know if there's a workaround we can use to get proper release mode performance to test viability of the hybrid renderer - and I saw you help in another similar thread (though that fix did not work here).

2. joelv

joelv

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the report

Please not that 2021.x is not supported for use with Entities or Hybrid Renderer. You will have to wait for the 0.51 release to happen for it to be compatible. It might be due to this that you are seeing crashes.

3. BuzzJive

BuzzJive

@joelv I suppose I was unclear and it was primarily because I had not seen the DOTS 0.50 release today! This was with Entities 0.17.0-preview.42 and Hybrid Renderer 0.11.0-preview.44 which didn't have the 2020.3.30 requirement - at least not that I saw. Like I mentioned - it can build and run in Develop, but not Release. I don't mind having to upgrade to 0.51 when that releases (hopefully reasonably soon), but I'd hate to upgrade and find out that Release il2cpp 64-bit android builds still crash on launch.

4. joelv

joelv

Unity Technologies

Even pre 0.50 releases only targets 2020 LTS. 2021 and up is not supported or tested as it is now. There will be a 0.51 release shortly which supports 2021 so I think you should test on that first and we can investigate the bug if it's still there.

In any case thanks for the report, we will look at it once we get to it.

BuzzJive likes this.
  5. BuzzJive

BuzzJive

@joelv I was able to verify on Unity 2020.3.30 that the 0.50 release no longer crashes when using release il2cpp 64-bit builds. Hopefully we'll be in good shape when 0.51 comes out.

james-ci, JussiKnuuttila and joelv like this.
  6. djhatvr

djhatvr

Nope. 0.51.1 crashes... :(