Search Unity

Crash when changing timeline time with alembic tracks

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by bastianLstrube, Mar 7, 2019.

1. bastianLstrube

bastianLstrube

Hello.
    foyer01.PNG
    I am getting consistent crashes when scrubbing or changing time to certain alembic clips.
    Even though these clips worked perfectly minutes before.
    The alembic files have also been opened in multiple other software without issue (houdini, blender, maya).
    timelinefoyer01.PNG
    As unity crashes instantly I don't have any errors to provide but I have narrowed it down a bit.
    I am editing many alembic shots in a timeline. That is, moving the start of the alembic clips in from their original first frame and also cropping out the ends of them. It seems that when a shot is played from first frame, unity has no issue. Even scrubbing or jumping into the middle of them after they have been played through from first frame. I then edit them to our timeline, align and match them.
    But after reopening unity these edited clips causes hard crashes. Even when playing the timeline from the start in play mode.

thank you!

2. vladala

vladala

Unity Technologies

I cannot think of anything on the tip of my head.
    I would need to have access to a stripped down version of your project and a unity version.
    If not, let the crash reporter upload the project and send me the bug-id. I might get some hints as to what is wrong.

3. bastianLstrube

bastianLstrube

You're welcome to, but the project is hitting 12 gb right now. were using unity collab, could I add you?

Further investigation results:
    It does only seem to be certain alembic files, but at random frames.
    I can't find any connection between crashes and the alembic clip length, size or content.
    I'm know trying to export both a alembic in HDF5 and Ogawa format to see if it is only one of those formats that crashes unity.

4. bastianLstrube

bastianLstrube

Also... the crash reporter never appears. everything unity just goes 'puff'

5. bastianLstrube

bastianLstrube

Found the error. It was the alembic files that had extra attributes to the primitives when exporting from Houdini. But maybe unity's way of handling them is a bit problematic, instantly crashing without bug report popping up.

I could send you one of the files that was causing issues?

6. vladala

vladala

Unity Technologies

Would love to. Thanks a lot. Maybe log an issue here with the info? https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/AlembicForUnity/issues