Search Unity

CRASH Unhandled exception at 0x00007FF916427A8C (UnityPlayer.dll)

Discussion in 'Windows' started by thebetabear, Jan 11, 2020.

1. thebetabear

thebetabear

Hello!

I've been currently dealing with a problem in the game Super Animal Royal, which runs on Unity. I didn't create the game, but I've been working with one of the head devs at Pixile studios to try and troubleshoot the crash, but so far early in the process, we're both stumped.

Here is a drive link to the output log, error log, and crash dmp files

I opened the dmp file in Visual Studio and ran the debugger to try and find the location of the problem. It comes up with an error, but the error page states "Source Not Available". The dialog box shows "Unhandled exception at 0x00007FF916427A8C (UnityPlayer.dll) in crash.dmp: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF."

I have very vague guesses as to what it might be with my limited knowledge, but with 0xC0000005 it seems to be some sort of memory problem, but whether it's my RAM hardware or on the software end I do not know. Hopefully, this information will help us narrow down the problem.

Thanks so much!

Attached Files:

2. thebetabear

thebetabear

I have added 6 more crash reports in folders with the logs and dmp files in each folder into the drive link, respectively. Hopefully that will help.

3. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

thebetabear likes this.
  4. thebetabear

thebetabear

Thanks for the help. I'll try to do so and report back with my findings

EDIT: I have a few files from WER ReportArchive. I've added the latest one to the drive folder (Forum won't accept the file)

EDIT2: I seem to be having the same crashing problems with Minion Masters, so I added the .wer file from that crash as well.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  5. pokelocos

pokelocos

I apologize for reopening this thread. I have encountered a similar issue, but not during gameplay. Instead, the error occurs within the Unity editor itself. The error message is consistent, albeit with a slight variation: "Unhandled Exception at 0x00007FF7D82F1650 (Unity.exe) in crash.dmp: 0xC0000005: Access Violation reading location 0x000002C34A000000." I have provided a link to the dump and log files I received.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pUFrKSgguC1LSYlFwqrQiUZG-J-0F2G0?usp=sharing

My inquiry pertains to implementing the recommended command in the Unity editor, as suggested by Tautvydas-Zilys:
    Additional context that may be pertinent:
    • The project I am working on is a Unity tool, which involves the use of internal Unity events and editor elements.
    • The crash seems to occur subsequent to recompiling scripts related to the core functionality of my project.
    • The crash specifically takes place when I have a loaded object within the tool, intended for editing. This object belongs to a custom, serializable class.
    • I am utilizing the Json.Net libraries.
    • The issue manifested when transitioning from version 2022.X.x (Beta) to 2022.3.4 (LTS). It was also associated with the implementation of ASDMF in the project. Regrettably, I overlooked this error at the time, making it challenging to determine exactly when it was introduced.
    • It seems that keeping certain scriptable objects open in the inspector prevents the failure (though I cannot be entirely certain).
    • I have employed Visual Studio Code's debug mode to scrutinize the code line by line, but the issue does not seem to materialize when I observe it in this manner, which is causing some frustration.
    I am currently experiencing a degree of frustration, as this error consistently closes the Unity editor whenever I recompile any script tied to the core of my project. This results in lost changes to scriptable objects I was constructing at that moment. Furthermore, the dump provides the error details but does not pinpoint the exact location of this failure, impeding my ability to rectify it.

6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

It seems it reads past the end of the buffer when deserializing some serialized property because it ingests the wrong string size. Debug allocator is doing its job: it makes it crash the moment buffer read goes out of bound. Unfortunately I cannot tell which serialized property that is as the dump you attached in a mini dump rather than a full dump. If you want, you can configure your machine to capture full dumps as outlined here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/wer/collecting-user-mode-dumps. Then I could look at it and perhaps tell you which object is causing the issue.

In either case, this is worth a bug report, I think.

7. pokelocos

pokelocos

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1DshNcKrtYBO00Kpwq7gAgZ6NVhXmtxnP?usp=sharing

I followed the instructions provided here, and it generated this new file for me. I've left it at the following link. I opened it with Visual [Studio], but I still don't understand how this can help me. For instance, I see the call stack, but there's nothing related to my code showing up :C

8. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

It seems like it is trying to display a script in an inspector on a particular game object. Is this when it crashes? I cannot tell what the script name is, but it has a serializable field of type "LBSLayer" named "data". It seems that the data for this particular game object is corrupted.

Unfortunately this is not my code area of expertise so that is all I was able to uncover. Did you manage to report a bug yet?

9. pokelocos

pokelocos

Precisely, that's where the issue seems to be. I haven't resolved it yet, but it appears to be related to object serialization within some internal Unity event. In this event, a property is requested from object A and a method is called on a null object. I've submitted an error report, but they informed me they couldn't reproduce the error and asked for a video. Now I'm waiting for a new response.

Anyway, I appreciate your support, and I'd like to know if you could share how you managed to reach the point you mentioned. I was able to make progress on the problem mainly through trial and error, trying things blindly in my project's code and observing which changes affected the likelihood of a crash.

I've never encountered a problem like this before, and all this talk of .dmp files is quite perplexing.

10. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Can you share the bug number? They are probably asking for a video to make sure they are executing the same steps you are.

a lot of reading source code and trying to understand what various variables on the stack were pointing to... Unfortunately it'd be extremely hard to find that without source code.

11. pokelocos

pokelocos

Could this be the error number? IN-50581

this is the video i sent, not sure if that video is enough to understand the error: