Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Crash to desktop when opening scene

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Darkmoon, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Darkmoon

Darkmoon

Had a rather large scene and closed it to open another scene. Went back to try and open the original scene and now it crashes the Unity client to desktop every single time.

Tried deleting the cache folder, assetdatabase and metadata fodler.

Error message says "GetManagerFromContext: pointer to the object of manager 'RenderSettings' is NULL (table index 18) UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Crash report is over 1.5gigs and I can't send it right now. Any idea what might cause this and how I can fix it without rebuilding the entire bloody scene?

All other scenes work.

Unity Pro 4.5.3f3

Capture.JPG

2. Darkmoon

Darkmoon

3. Darkmoon

Darkmoon

Reverting to Unity 4.5.1f3 resolves the problem. Meh.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  4. Patricio-Jeri

Patricio-Jeri

I just had this same problem. My first machine running 4.5.2 could still load the scene properly but I tried loading the project on a second machine with 4.5.3 today and got the same crash. When I reverted to 4.5.2 on the second machine the import prompt came up and properly imported Substances into the scene and this solved my issue.

5. Darkmoon

Darkmoon

Sounds like 4.5.2 might be safe for this issue. I went back to 4.5.1 and it also worked.

6. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

Could you please update to the newest version of Unity and try it again. A new patch was release today here.

7. Darkmoon

Darkmoon

I'm scared to try right now. I've got a deadline. I'll give it shot later if no one else has confirmed it fixed. Thanks for the update though!

8. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

Sure! When I try new things I normally setup a VM and test a copy of the project with the new Version. But you can also have multiple installations of Unity see here.

9. ScruffyNinja

ScruffyNinja

I've been using Unity 4.6 beta 17 for a few weeks now without any issues and then out of the blue :

Fatal Error!
    GetManagerFromContext: pointer to object of manager 'RenderSettings' is NULL (table index 18) UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGui()

The project only started playing up this morning and only when I tried to open a particular scene that contains Substance textures.

I took your advice and installed 4.5.4 (currently the latest build) and tried again — the scene no longer crashes : )

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

David-Berger likes this.
  10. Foxxis

Foxxis

This appears to be solved in beta 20 of 4.6 as well, although it seems to introduce similar errors through another bug (that can be relatively easily corrected though).