Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Crash on Hololens build - "The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address..."

Discussion in 'VR' started by MadeFromPolygons, Dec 11, 2019.

1. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

We get constant crash on HoloLens builds saying:

The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.

Why is this happening and how can we stop it? we have a deadline to hit and this is really frustrating.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

@Unity_Wesley @BrandonFogerty not sure who else to tag in

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  2. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

This is using unity 2018.4.13f1 and visual studio 2019.

3. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

I'm afraid that there is not enough info here to go on. Without the error log itself there isn't much to even intuit. At a minimum we would need a small repro project to be able to even look into or debug this if looking at the raw log doesn't give us enough data.

Are you using ONLY the built in VR support or are you incorporating 3rd party libraries/assets as well? Can you strip your project down to an absolute minimum repro and send that to use to look at?

4. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I cant imagine my employer being okay with any data being sent regarding our project, its extremely confidential. This is not using any third party scripts or plugins etc, except for unity holotoolkit from microsoft. Ive noticed it only happens when async loading a scene, is that of any help? Its only built in HoloLens we are using if thats what you mean by "built in VR support".

I dont even know what causes the issue so its impossible for me to even begin fixing it, at least if I can know what the error means that may help even if you guys cant fix the issue....

5. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Given just what you pasted above, some part of your project attempted to access protected memory. Most likely memory outside the valid range of process memory. That's about all I can tell you given what you pasted above. I would need the actual debug log information around the error to do anymore.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

You should start by attaching a debugger and seeing where in program execution this error happens.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  7. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Ill try and debug further and see what info I am able to attach to form a basis of a report and get back to you guys.

I am trying to update to MRTK2 from the HoloToolkit as I believe the issue is linked to using the HoloToolkit + async scene loading

8. XuDark

XuDark

hi,have you solve this problem? i ran into the same situation

9. jjejj87

jjejj87

Same here, except I am not using any XR kit....just reported it as a bug and hopefully we will get somewhere.