Search Unity

" Crafty "patching system for Unity projects.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Deleted User, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes team decided to focus more on our assets rather than the project it self till the release of Crafty Standalone.

But still our main focus is the Crafty in Unity as there are already buyers who wait for the full binary system to get smallest patches possible.
    That's why we decided to build Crafty Standalone using the components of Crafty in Unity and adjusting them so that Crafty Standalone will work on Windows Mac and Linux just like Crafty in Unity.

That also means when Crafty Standalone will reach the binary level of patching, we immediately take out that system and paste it to the Crafty in Unity as we wan't to support both users as best as we can, we cannot just leave one group in the back, that would be highly unfair.

With the Craft Standalone we won't be limited by the memory border and will allows us to add additions to the Launcher that are very hard to do in the Crafty Unity. More on that later on.

2. InfermIndependent

InfermIndependent

That is amazing ! I will be awaiting every update on this product please keep up the good work.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  3. 3dCubicGear123

3dCubicGear123

Hey Thinker I’m very happy to hear that you are working on Standalone version of Crafty as i am also looking forward to it but i need to ask as i am slightly worried those this mean that you are stoping the work on Crafty in Unity ?

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

I should had address this sooner as i already got a lot of emails with the same question.

The answer is simply NO. We are still working on Crafty in Unity in fact Crafty in and outside of Unity will have almost the same system, both will be at the end full binary system. True that some of the functions will be better on the Standalone Crafty as Unity wont limit some of the options, but we will work on both Crafty's.

Nobody needs to be worried as we will make sure that both Craftys are up to date with every function and system we can create :).
    Standalone Crafty will give us some breathing room to test new functions and finally a binary system that Crafty in Unity really needs.
    After Standalone Crafty will have a working binary system we will immediately transfer the script and adjust it to make it work in Unity the same thing will be with every function and vice versa. So please don't be worried i will never leave anyone behind its just not our way.

5. 3dCubicGear123

3dCubicGear123

That is amazing to hear Thinker thank you very much :) i was worried that it will be again one of those product that stop in the middle and never update. May i ask exactly what updates you play to add to the Crafty ? So that i can prepare for the future if its possible of course

6. InfermIndependent

InfermIndependent

I am very happy to hear that work on Standalone is already on the way. Just to support your team i have bought your in Unity Crafty, to be honest i didn't really thought of using it as i require only Standalone Crafty but i have to say I'm very impress of your software it is really well done. Very light nicely put together script I see that you have a professional programmer in your team. Applause from me.

I really hope that Standalone will be the same quality as this Crafty.

7. Wasikuss

Wasikuss

We trying to add all that people is asking for. Of course if it's possible and have sense.

We are glad to hear that! Satisfied buyers are our drive for further work. But you're first who donate us! And it confirms that we are doing a good job,

Thank you! Even that I don't have much time for programming ( besides my job ), I try to do my best as possible.

Crafty Standalone will be harder to create only for that we must support multiple platforms, and on each of them code will be much different than that in Unity, but you have my word.

8. 3dCubicGear123

3dCubicGear123

What i mean is, what you guys want to add to Crafty overall till you will feel that its finished :). ( i am asking about Crafty in Unity of course )

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey 3DInferno.

It's hard to tell all the details as we are getting weekly requests for new features from the users, but the one that we need to implement for sure before treating Crafty as a finished product is:

- Full Binary patch creation. ( to make as small patches as it is physically possible )
    - Sequence patch download.
    - Few minor bugs repair.
    - Updating Test Launcher GUI ( we know that it's only a test GUI and people instantly change it to adjust to their game but still we want to make it look better )
    - Auto restart for the game ( developer would have ability to choose if its up to player to restart the game or up to launcher )
    - ( if time will allow ) Full log-in support allowing developers to force Password and Username requirement.
    - Few additional launcher GUI functions.

When we will add all those adjustments we will feel that Crafty for Unity is finished. Of course we will still take requests for additional features, and provide full support for future Unity versions.

10. MJStryk

MJStryk

Crafty 1.1 is not downloading the release notes or file size (says 0b) and it just hangs at 0% downloaded. Any idea what the problem could be?

The folders are perfectly accessible on my website. Patchie Compat worked fine on the last update, and there were no issues with crafty 1.0.5 (except I believe release notes may not have been downloading there either). I've tried with test builds as well even with an 8kb update and still file size does not show, and it just hangs at 0% downloaded. Please help!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  11. Glader

Glader

Any ETA on Crafty standalone?

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello MJStryk

It can be one of the few things. First of all there is an update in the documentation tutorial on how to update your project from Crafty 1.0.5 to Crafty 1.1, very simple two steps.

After you will do that we need to check if few things are in order.

The Url it is important that you write ( http:// ) at the beginning of the link and it needs to end with patches. So for example the link could look like this: http://penkura.com/patches

Also your release notes just like the versions file need to end with the .txt. Some servers lock the .txt format and just put a file.
    Make sure that on the server those files end with .txt

Check for spelling errors as patches and versions both end with "s" at the end. You will be surprise how many people forget that :).

And in versions.txt it self remember to put versions number in correct way. ( sometimes by accident people but two spacebars between versions number ) It should be only one for example:

1.0 1.1
    1.1 1.2

and so on.

13. MJStryk

MJStryk

Hi Thinker,
    Thank you for the timely response. The problem is most likely just that my url doesn't end in patches. I probably wasn't reading thoroughly enough, as I thought that was just a suggestion rather than a requirement. I was able to upgrade from 1.0.5 to 1.1 using the tutorial (very helpful), and so far I've really enjoyed Crafty and I'm glad to see increased compression in 1.1. I'll fix the URL now, hopefully that works and thanks for the timely help!

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

We will do our best to improve it to full binary system as fast as possible so that everybody can create as small patches as it is possible :).
    If you will have any problem or this problem will appear again please don't wait and just contact me as soon as possible i will do my best to help.

Hey Glader it's hard to talk about ETA for now, as we are creating a small program to Crafty that should allow artist who don't know any code language to create Launchers with less problems. Of course we TRY to create this program as it takes us a lot of time. If we will see that it will create more and more problems we will drop it at least for now and focus on releasing Crafty Standalone.

When my programmer will be 100 % sure on providing me with specific ETA i will post it immediately.

15. 3dCubicGear123

3dCubicGear123

I just wanted to ask Thinker if Crafty Standalone will work the same as Crafty on Unity when it comes to create patches ?
    What i love about Crafty now is that you can make Windows,mac and linux patches at the same time from one project and not switch between programs. Will Crafty Standalone be the same ?

16. Wasikuss

Wasikuss

Crafty Standalone will be done within 2-3 months after releasing final version of Crafty fo Unity. It for sure will happen this year.

Patchie ( part of Crafty for Unity and Crafty Standalone) will work same way. You will be able to choose two versions of game no matter of platform, because Patchie see them as regular files and folders.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  17. TunisianGameDev

TunisianGameDev

Hello,
    Your plugin is really cool, i have 2 questions please.
    What about supporting NGUI ? any informations about that ?
    Also you didint mention in your video in case we made more than 1 patch, should we erase the old one or the program will take care of that ?
    Please explain.

Thanks

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello

Sorry for late reply.

Launchie operates on standard Unity GUI commands, so i don't see a problem on why it should not work with any other system ON Unity that supports those commands.

Patches are put in the correct folders they are not throw just like that to the files.
    Everything in the program is done in clean order, if you will make patch from version 1.0.4.5 to 1.0.4.6 patch will be located in the folder named " 1.0.4.5 1.0.4.6 " so you don't have to delete your build from which you make patches and patches them self. Everything is set in order.

We for example have 28 patches already in the Crafty folder set orderly in a line between each other.

19. derkoi

derkoi

Hi, Sorry if this has already been covered but i have some questions.

Lets say i have my game v1.0 on my website for people to purchase download. I then update my game to v1.1 and make a patch put that on my website. People update to that version. Then I update to v1.2, v1.3, v1.4, v1.5 so on. Would I always keep v1.0 for sale or update the purchasable version to the latest version?

What happens if a player starts from v1 and the latest version is v1.5, would the player need a v1.0 to v1.5 patch or will they need to keep updating each version in sequence?

Will I need to keep all updates on my server at all times?

My game is exactly the same for Windows Mac, will I need 2 separate patches for each update or will the same patch work for both windows mac?

Thanks

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

It's up to you. You can manage patches and game in both ways.
    You can keep your game always at 1.0 ( purchase start version ) and than make player update the game or from time to time update the starting game version so that players have less to download.

It depends on how you make your patches. If you leave patches alone than yes player will have to download each patch separately but you can also take Build 1.0 and Build 1.5 and just make a patch between them, so that player with version 1.0 will instantly patch the game to 1.5 rather than one by one.

If you want your game to be up to date from any previous versions than yes of course. ( what we like to do is to have a game with only launcher in it which will download the start version of the game ( that can be easily updated to newest to save space ) and than download extra patches ).

Games are never the same. Unity create builds for Windows and Mac differently. Because of that you need to have separate patches for different types of game builds. You won't be able to turn on Mac Game on Windows and Windows game on Mac.

21. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks for the replies.

So how would I name the Windows Mac versions on my websites patches?

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

While building a game you can name it what ever you wish but while setting up a version name you can just name builds according to platforms they are meant to be use on. In this case PC_v1.0 , Mac_v1.0, Lin_v1.0 is the one that we use personally and we think that it is the most organized one.

Please remember to also call those patches in the version.txt each launcher ( from each system build ) will search for patches you ordered him to.
    It means that if Launcher in the game was build on the version PC_v1.0 threw PC_v1.1 than it will search only for those type of patches.

23. judah4

judah4

Hi, I just bought Crafty and I like it but it does not work for me in its current form. I have custom data and folders in my builds _data folder and when it creates the patches, it places them in the patch with its full root such as users/myName/myDocuments/Unity Projects/CraftyTester/Patchie/0.03/CrafterTester_Data/otherFolder/someText.txt

Since its in a dll, its not like I can fix this myself so please fix this so I can actually use Crafty

I attached a patch to show what it is doing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  24. Deleted User

Deleted User

Need to ask to make sure, are you using Crafty 1.1 ?

25. judah4

judah4

yes, I bought it and downloaded it yesterday from the asset store

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

That is weird we were sure that we repaired that error in Crafty 1.1.
    We will look at the script and repair it as fast as possible.

27. judah4

judah4

oh, another thing to mention, The Launchie prefab lost the references to the scripts. It's not that complicated to reattach them but it is not something you want to see in a plugin.

28. Deleted User

Deleted User

Test Scene will be deleted overall in the next update as it is not needed.

29. 3dCubicGear123

3dCubicGear123

Can you please not remove the test scene ? I know its not very useful as it is only 2 scripts but still its nice to have a proper area to test new features or changes. Plus it saves me trouble in making test scene :p

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well it is really not important. But if it means to save some time than as you wish i will leave it alone :).

31. Eezo

Eezo

Are there any programmatic API's to 'Patchie'? I'd basically like to set the 'Add Version' version number, and generate 'From' and 'To' through a script and then trigger the patch creation as part of my release flow.

Thanks

32. Wasikuss

Wasikuss

No, it not exist. But we can create it. It would be nice, if you can suggest API. Simply describe how you want to use it and/or suggest functions.

In near future, we want to implement bug/feature request tool for convenient way to sending error or to proposing new feature.

33. Eezo

Eezo

Sure, I think the API would look like (in an Editor script):

Patchie patchie = new Patchie();
    patchie.from = "0.0.1";
    patchie.to = "0.0.2";
    patchie.CreatePatch();

To generate a build, something as simple as:

Patchie.CreateBuild("0.0.2");

These would be Editor commands that I'd run through command line arguments, e.g.:

/path/to/Unity -projectPath /project/path -executeMethod MyEditorClass.MakeBuild -batchmode -quit

34. Glader

Glader

Bump for standalone support! Who is with me? I'd definitely buy it for a standalone version.

35. 3dCubicGear123

3dCubicGear123

Yes count me in for sure !

I have a request to make towards Crafty in Unity and for Standalone if its possible can you add the stop button at patch creation :) ?
    I use Crafty for my 7 GB project and sometimes i remind my self that i can add small change that will save the time in the long run so i wish to stop patch creation and not wait till it will finish. I know that i can just turn of Unity and it will stop Crafty overall but it would be nice to have such option also :).
    Thanks in the long run.

36. Deleted User

Deleted User

We will be working on Standalone version of Crafty don't be worried :). We will deliver first we need to fix few minor issues with Crafty for Unity and than we can work on Crafty Standalone version.

Added your request to the Features Request. We will work on it as it is simple addition that we can add with the next update.

37. Jeremy-Hindle

Jeremy-Hindle

+1 for API -> it's a necessity for larger projects. Would save us about 4 hours a build and lower the potential for human error significantly.

38. kfc

kfc

Hi,
    First of all thanks for making this amazing patch system available to us at this time as I'm on a tight deadline to deliver my PC/Mac build complete with a patch system. M2H don't seem to work anymore for some reason so I have to use Crafty as a replacement for a patcher.
    Made a purchase for crafty Patch System just 30 mins ago and I can immediately give it a spin. I've made a version 1.0.0 client and also made a 1.0.1 client to be generated in to patches. After that I've uploaded it to my web server. I've tried to launch the 1.0.0 client as a test to see if the patcher works.
    It was working really well in the 1.0.0 version as it starts download smoothly until the end when it applies the patch itself and asked for a restart of the app. Now when I relaunch the 1.0.1(patched) it shows "You can’t open the application “Patchie_v1.0.1” because it may be damaged or incomplete."
    I hope someone can give me an answer and workaround for this. Thanks in advance.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qecaf9dm4zd80po/Patchie_v1.0.0.zip <---- my client file

I'm running Mavericks 10.9.2 with unity 4.3 and crafty patch system 1.1

Cheers.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  39. kfc

kfc

Sorry guys.
    I've just made a stupid mistake for using different name for each versions of client before applying the patch process.
    Everything works after I have tried it with the same name every time when I build the app. The reason for the corruption is that the /data folder name is different in every patch if I use different name for each versions of client.

I really think your tool is deserve for a 5 star for making it near flawless. The part that I think might need some work is that you should warn us for making different name for each client. It should be detectable from your program before we apply the patch.

Cheers.

40. Wasikuss

Wasikuss

I will make some tests, if everything will be ok, API will be added in next version.

It will be added in next version. Small change but it will save time, especially on big projects. Thanks for feedback

41. Wasikuss

Wasikuss

Unfortunately I must have a break with Crafty for 2 weeks. I signed contact to finish other project within that time. It will be reviewed by the committee of the European Funds and I cant distract myself. You have my word, that after return I will speed up work on next version of Crafty.

Regards,
    Wasikuss

42. 3dCubicGear123

3dCubicGear123

You mean UN European Founds Organization ? DAMN what you guys are making :D !?

2 weeks is not that much at least for me so its 100 % ok with me :) thank you for informaing us and being honest also i want to ask what exactly you want to add to the new crafty patch and also is it possible to know when it will be release ?

43. Deleted User

Deleted User

That you need to ask our main programmer as he knows all the details :).

This month is bad for me and Wasikuss when it comes to working on our beloved project ( and Crafty of course ) we have very limited time.

But we will provide you with the patch at the end of this month for sure.

Thank you for understanding we know that a lot of people need updates ASAP but we have also our limits.

It should be at the end of this month and the patch will provide bug fixes that some of the users experience and we will add few features as they are requested by developers.

We will add the stop button next to patch creation and we will add the API as one of the users already point out that it is necessary. We want to support as much of requested features as possible and we see a big potential in the API addition. We will also prepare Crafty for script clean up.
    Since Crafty 1.0.0 we added so many features and addition that script is already 50 % bigger, because of that we need to make a major script clean up to increase performance and prepare for the Binary addition.

44. 3dCubicGear123

3dCubicGear123

AWESOME thank you very much keep up the good work :).

45. hhartford

hhartford

Hello, I am having issues with my crafty system. I created a patch and go through the process of uploading it. Then I download it to my game and it gives me a runtime error and shuts down. In my output log I see this
    The class defined in the script file named 'KGFDataTable' is not derived from MonoBehaviour or ScriptableObject!

(Filename: Line: 1615)

A script behaviour has a different serialization layout when loading. (Read 24 bytes but expected 96 bytes)
    Did you #ifdef UNITY_EDITOR a section of your serialized properties in any of your scripts?

(Filename: Line: 1169)

The file 'C:/DigitalEmpire/EmpireVision/EmpireVision_Data/mainData' is corrupted! Remove it and launch unity again!
    [Position out of bounds! 50176 > 50172]

(Filename: Line: 276)

The file 'C:/DigitalEmpire/EmpireVision/EmpireVision_Data/mainData' is corrupted! Remove it and launch unity again!
    [Position out of bounds! 50284 > 50280]

(Filename: Line: 276)

If I launch the new build that I created the patch from it works fine. So it seems like something is getting corrupt in the patch making process. Have you see this issue before? Any advice? This is with unity 4.3.4 and the newest crafty,

46. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello hhartford yes we did saw this issue in newest Unity. We are overworked this month that's why it is so hard for us to repair this error, but today our main programmer will spend some time to gather all the emails and requests so that we can arrange a work plan with testers and the rest of the team.
    The 20 of this month ( in two days ) our programmer is officially back and we will spend all night repairing all the errors we found and add new features.

If you wish to have Crafty 1.1.1 you can send me your Invoice No. on support@penkura.com and i will send you Crafty before it will be release in the shop. Sorry for that delay but this month is a hell for me and the programmer. ( to be honest we are extremely happy that its almost over and we can go back to Crafty ).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2014
  47. hhartford

hhartford

It is fine I can wait. Thank you for the quick reply.

48. Wasikuss

Wasikuss

Hi. Everyone who has errors, should change debug flag in LaunchieLogic.cs to true;

ex.
    Code (csharp):
    2. _l.debug = true;
    after that, when error occurs, there will be created file named crafty_error.txt. please submit bugs with attached this file. it can speed up finding error.

49. Deleted User

Deleted User

Update Info.

In few days or so we will add an Q&A in our website in the Crafty section to help users with the problem they encounter, over 80 % of email we get are errors made by simply not fallowing the documentation properly. Because of that we will add on the website a list of typical errors user can made and swift solution to them.

Most common errors made is providing URL in Crafty without the http:// at the beginning of the link or changing the name of the game between patches.
    We will also add on our website a direct support to Crafty system. Which should speed up the process of supporting users in need.

Before those change will be add we need to repair few errors that we found in Crafty 1.1 that are not present in Crafty 1.0.5, we will add two new features after which we will release Crafty 1.1.1 with all the fixes.

50. 3dCubicGear123

3dCubicGear123

QUOTE]In few days or so we will add an Q&A in our website in the Crafty section to help users with the problem they encounter, over 80 % of email we get are errors made by simply not fallowing the documentation properly. Because of that we will add on the website a list of typical errors user can made and swift solution to them. [/QUOTE]

+1

What is this crafty_error log use for exactly. I am curios for the future reference.
    And why it is off by default ?