Search Unity

" Crafty "patching system for Unity projects.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Deleted User, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

There is very easy example in the Crafty folder created with use of GUI, advance showcase is not included its just a showcase to present different types of Launchers created by testers :).

There is dozens of tutorials on how to use Unity GUI even Unity provides you with a very easy to use documentation on their website.
    It is very simple code.

This is the link to the Unity GUI documentation it will provide you with everything you need to know ( LINK ).

After Crafty 1.1 we will start to add more script to the example presenting more possibilities but for now we are focusing on the most stable and advance patching solution we can provide, after Crafty 1.1 when we will provide that solution we will focus on minor requests like " file indicator " and other similar :).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2014
  2. UltraTM

UltraTM

Ok looked around and also played a bit with my NGUI.

One thing maybe you know dont know how to google it the right way^^

I want to disable the windows window with Minimize Maximize and Close button like in your launcher pic.
    How to diable that?

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

This is the link to the official Unity tutorials on how to use Unity GUI its very clear and nicely presented you should have no problem in understanding Unity GUI :). ( LINK )

Those are very simple commands and clever use of GUI, for example minimize is just a simple close window function with creation of a button in the bottom right corner ( in our case ) which after pressing will bring back the launcher its as simple as that :).

4. info-digitopolis

info-digitopolis

Do you have any plan for a mobile support release?

Looking forward to it :)

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes we do but first we need to make sure that the Crafty for Mac / Windows and Linux is as stable and efficient as possible. After that we will focus on making Crafty for mobile. Which should be created much much faster than the original Crafty, because scripts have some similarities.

6. Halie

Halie

Hey thinker crafty 1.0.5 is really stable zero problems !!! much improvement from 1.0.4 but is there any info on 1.1 update ? Also i wanted to ask you some time ago what other updates you will create aiming at patching system ? I know you want to add more stuff to Crafty like what file is downloading and download speed but i mean what exactly you want to change with the patch creation ?

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey Halie sorry for the late reply but I was very busy lately.
    Well Crafty 1.1 is about Composition patching witch will decrease the size of patches but ultimately we want to create patching system that will work with pure binary system. For now patches are created by selecting files on a binary level but the patch its self is not 100 % binary.

We will provide Crafty with pure binary system when we create a stable, swift and most of all clean process of binary patch creation.
    We don't think there is a better way of patch creation than binary patching, that's why after releasing binary patch creation we will focus only on adding new functions and adjustment to new Unity versions.

8. halfbot

halfbot

Hi Thinker,

I have been using Crafty for a while without any problems until today. When the patch is applied and I try to open the application the Mac programs prompt me that the file is damage and cannot be opened.

Further investigation reviled that the entire user path was included in the patch and not just the file that had changed itself : https://www.dropbox.com/s/sn9ueuyogzjeirw/Screenshot 2014-01-15 09.09.32.png

I am using patchie 1.05 and unity 4.3.3f1 pro

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey Halfbot we know about this error and it is already repaired, it will be included with the finished version of Crafty 1.1 in the asset store.
    If you wish to have it sooner you can send me your Invoice No. to support@penkura.com and I will send you Crafty 1.1 as soon as it is finished.

10. halfbot

halfbot

Thanks for the prompt response thinker. Invoice number sent!

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

I got your Invoice No. I will send you Crafty 1.1 as soon as possible.

12. LeoTS

LeoTS

Hey Thinker, I just started using Crafty in my project, and I'd like to know if the download speed and download information callback will be included in the new 1.1 version.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello LeoTS we first wanted to release pure Crafty 1.1 with only new patching system as it is massive change to the Crafty.

We were afraid of stability, as this new system is much more complex than the old one, but our testing was a big success and MAYBE we will add new features to this version rather than later.

Please keep in mind we work as fast as possible but for now we want to make sure that Crafty is very powerful, fast patch creation software that limits the size of the patches as much as possible. We want to add those additional features as it makes Crafty overall look much better and provides more professional possibilities to developers.
    We will do our best but we ask for patients they will be added for sure.

14. Halie

Halie

If crafty 1.1 will be as stable as this one than you dont have to worrie at all and just make those cool futures for us :D they are not the most important in the world but it will be cool to see them added.

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

We will of course do our best to make Crafty 1.1 even more stable than 1.0.5, but we prefer to double check our triple checks of each update.

That's why it takes us so much time to release an update, but we prefer to release one good update rather than ten small one that forces users to adjust each weak, we just don't see the point in that.

Update info on Crafty 1.1.

We are adding to Crafty 1.1 a new feature that some of the more professional groups that already have massive MMO project ask for.
    The ability to set the file size detection on a binary level. This will allow you to create much better patches adjusted to the size and quality of your entire project. More information on that will be provided in the Tutorial documentation added to the Crafty project.

16. Halie

Halie

Can you tell us what MMO is using Crafty ? It would be cool to see crafty in a professional project :).

Also i wanted to add a request towards additions to Crafty if you are still accepting some. Can you add a timer at the end of patch creation so people can check how long it took to create the patch ? Its a small but very handy addition that i look forward to :).

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

One of the MMO-s using Crafty is Gloria Victis http://gloriavictisgame.com/ an very interesting concept designed by a Polish team.
    Unfortunately other project i can't speak of just yet as its still in the hush hush time of development.

This is small and easy to make addition. That's why we just implemented it. It will be available in the Crafty 1.1.

18. Halie

Halie

Looks like an awesome game ! Awesome to know that others more proffesional MMOs are using Crafty, thank you so much in adding the timer so fast people who comment under Crafty in the asset store are right you guys are amazing support team TOP NOTCH !

19. UltraTM

UltraTM

Would be nice to get an example launcher ^^

Beause for me somehting like the DQ Patcher would be nice.
    an external launcher with patching and so on. Then start the game.

is this possible with the Crafty 1.1? or also with crafty 1.05 because im not so much a programmer and learning and testing.
    and a launcher with basic functions and example to get updates would be very nice^^

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

As it was stayed in the first post Crafty is an in-game patching system. :)
    But later on we will be creating standalone Crafty just like Crafty for mobile system.

There is an example launcher already in Crafty since Crafty 1.0.0.

21. UltraTM

UltraTM

Yes is saw the example. Not really a "launcher" in this way.

Ok you say ingame launcher.
    But how do you setup the Penkura launcher looks like a "external" launcher also.
    Thats what i have problems. Dont know how to setup at start game that there is the launcher as 1rst Scene but not in fullscreen. Then when press Start or Play that then the game starts in Fullscreen mode.

For this an example would be very nice :)

Its hard for me to figure this out

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

Everything depends on how you want to set up your log-in ( if you have any ), play and launcher scene. I will give you an example from one of the MMO-s that will be using Crafty.

First is the Scene with Crafty alone that download all the patches and provides the information on what changes are made, that is IF there is a patch, if Crafty will not detect any patches than it goes immediately to log-in scene where a menu pops-up allowing you to log in to the game server.
    After that everything looks like in typical scene you have menus allowing you to change options in the game, start game go to credits all that typical functions.

Crafty will detect if there is a new patch some users like to have a message that the game is up to date and some prefer Crafty to run silently in the background and appear only when there is an update. ( That is the way that most people prefer to use it as it is more elegant ). Of course you can add a button in the menu that will simply do a simple command of " check the version ".

23. Halie

Halie

Thats realy elegant way to do this, do you mind if i do the same ? I dont want to be someone who just takes others people idea thats why i ask for permission, also i wanted to ask if there is any update on Crafty 1.1 ? :)

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

You can do what you want with this example. I am not the only one who is using this way i can bet there is dozens of others who already figure this way out. So i don't see any reason for you no do use this information :).

We think that Crafty 1.1 should be ready in a matter of 5 days, after testing we had few errors on the Mac version and we want to make sure that all users will be satisfied.

25. UltraTM

UltraTM

Ok. And is it possible to do the first scene not fullscreen ?
    thats hat i cant figure out.
    Because that would be also a way of an "external" launcher.

Thats what i cant figure out how to do that. or is this no possible?

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes it is possible.
    Before creating build you need to set that the game will always launch in a window mode and than create a script that will force full screen when loading next scene.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2014
  27. UltraTM

UltraTM

Ok but i googled and searched a lot. And im stuck on. Hot to make a own window. I dont want to have windowed with Close. maximize, and minimize.
    how is this called or can be disabled?
    I getting angry about this xD

28. Deleted User

Deleted User

I think you are talking about Window Borderless mode. This mode will launch your game, without additions around the game window like minimize/maximize and close button.

There few scripts on the Unity forums that will allow you to do something similar.
    Here is one for example. >> LINK <<

If that is what you are looking for, of course.

29. Psyche_RTS

Psyche_RTS

@Thinker

Hi,

Your product seems to be great, I'm considering buying it.
    Just have one question about how it work:

Does it take in the "StreamingAssets" and the "Resources" folder during the process?

Thanks.

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

If by " take " you mean checking for file changes while creating the patch, than yes of course. It will check every file inside the folder with the game. That means that game.exe and gamename_Data folder will be check for any type of changes while creating the patch.

31. Psyche_RTS

Psyche_RTS

@Thinker

Hello,
    Just bought your product yesterday, I followed your tutorials but have a strange behaviour after the update of your example scene.
    Once the patch is downloaded and extracted, I quit the game, restart it and it always tells me that an update is available.
    Any clue of what can go wrong?

32. Deleted User

Deleted User

Are you sure that the Crafty printed information that the patching is finished ? As this sounds like closing the game before patching was finished. It can also be error in the versions.txt where it should be:

version_number(space bar)version_number
    1.0 1.1

33. Psyche_RTS

Psyche_RTS

I checked it and the version numbers are good in the "versions.txt" file.
    The download works well, I can see the progress and at the end it tells me that download is complete and to restart the game.
    After restarting, my scene is well modified by the patch, but the "update checking" occurs again again.

34. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well than i can't find any reason why this would happen, if you want you can send me your skype name via email and we can check your creation process step by step.

Email is of course support@penkura.com

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
  35. Halie

Halie

Psyche_RTS i had this problem once but its because i was inpatient and stop patch creation thinking its finished. Patch was created with error because of that and exactly the same error appear for me, create the patch again and just wait till it will say that it's finish :).

Thinker i know you guys are working hard on Crafty 1.1 but soon i will have presentation of my project and i would really want to have download speed and file size indicator please if its possible of course. I know you wanted to save it for other time because this update is so massive but it would really help me in a long run :).

36. Psyche_RTS

Psyche_RTS

@Thinker

I figure it out. A simple mistake.
    I hadn't changed the version number in the Launchie prefab on my second build.

thanks for the support.

37. Deleted User

Deleted User

Psyche_RTS

It's all okkei a honest mistake :).

Halie

We want to release Crafty 1.1 this week as a lot of developers need this update for new patching system.
    It's very hard for me to promise you anything as we are very busy with Crafty 1.1. But if we will have some time at the end of this week we will try to add those two additions in this patch, as I see it's very important for you.

38. Psyche_RTS

Psyche_RTS

@ Thinker

Your product is working very well.
    One addition that would be great in a future update, is to add a function to clean the "Webplayer cache" before or after the update.
    It can be useful if like me you use assetbundles in your project.

Cheers.

39. Deleted User

Deleted User

Psyche_RTS we added your request to the list we will work on that for the future update.
    I'm happy to see that Crafty works well for you :).

40. Halie

Halie

I understand completely and thank you for trying. To be honest i was really worried at the begging in buying Crafty but i was wrong and i am very happy about it ! You guys are awesome and i am really happy of my purchase please keep up the good work and even if you wont be able to add additions in this update its ok i understand that you guys have already a lot in mind :).

41. Deleted User

Deleted User

May I ask what made you worried, when it comes to buying Crafty ? Maybe we can work on that and improve for the future.

42. Halie

Halie

Well this is the only thing i wish you don't change at all, as it is the price :D. Usually products of this type are between 100 to 200 $ when i saw that yours is only for 50 $ i thought that its just a cheap, simple version of such program. Also i already bought a patching system here on the asset store and i was deeply disappointed from product that barley worked and support that answer once a month ( i rather not say the name of the product as i don't want to look bad ).

But after i bought Crafty i was really happy as it is amazing piece from the asset store with awesome support, amazing complex additions ( like supporting windows mac and linux at the same time ) and as many other guys from this forum i think this is a must have :D. Keep up the good work and don't change the price :D.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  43. LeoTS

LeoTS

Thinker, I was testing the patcher in my 1Gb project, and in the first time where i made a few changes, the patch was successfully created with only 300kb.
    But after I added a new texture, changed some references in different scenes, changed a few project settings and made the patch again, it was 500Mb, (the same size of the full game zipped), and when I was creating the patch, it was really fast compared to the first time, but it was stuck with both bars in 100%, and took some time to make the patch. I though it was just a display glitch in the editor, but then it created this so bigger patch.
    And when I tried to patch the old build with that new one, it doesn't update the progress variable (but i can see the patch.zip increasing in the game folder) and when it finished downloading it gives the error message.
    What could i possibly have done wrong to have this problem? Is there some things I must avoid changing like project settings or something in the scenes, that would cause the files to kinda scramble in the binary level to make it download everything again? or is it some flaw that crafty 1.1 won't have?
    Thanks for the support

44. Deleted User

Deleted User

On the website it is written:

• BUG#0002
      Rearranging scenes in Unity3d "Build settings" also change name of levels. It can cause Crafty to add them to patch even if nothing changed.
    This is normal we can show the time of creating the patch but we cannot show the compression time. When the bars are filled to 100 % compressing process starts and its unable to be shown.

What error exactly ? I need more information on that to help.
    If you can send me a picture of that error to support@penkura.com email.

Unity compresses everything ( after building a game ) to shaderassets.assets those are almost always different when you add new resources. Unity recreates them from the start. Crafty 1.1 was designed to filter those differences better to lower the size of the patches BECAUSE of that reason.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2014
  45. LeoTS

LeoTS

Hm ok, thanks for the fast support!
    The error I get is the callback from launchie, i'll check the exception it gives...
    So then I hope Crafty 1.1 be released soon :)
    Just one more question tho, the progress variable launchie gives, what is the value range it returns? 0 to 100, or 0 to 1?
    Because it kept on 0% while downloading the patch
    -------Edit----------
    After making an other build, I changed only a string in a script, and the patch size was the full build again, now i don't really understand what is happening

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  46. Deleted User

Deleted User

Crafty 1.1 should be send to the asset store this week.

It's 0 to 100.
    Are you using old Crafty ? As this error was in 1.0.1 and it was already fix, also did you change anything in original launchie script ?. Maybe you did an error in your modifications.

47. LeoTS

LeoTS

I'll do more tests with progress bar
    I just don't get why it included the whole build when i changed just a string in a script
    I'm using Crafty 1.0.5 btw

48. Psyche_RTS

Psyche_RTS

@ Thinker

It's seems there is a little mistake in your documentation. In fact, I was trying to create a merged patch from my version 1.0 to my 1.3.
    If I write my "versions.txt" like this (like in the documentation):
    1.0 1.3
    1.0 1.1
    1.1 1.2
    1.2 1.3
    The first patch I can download is the "1.0 1.1".
    I must write the merged patch at the bottom of the list to make it work, like this:
    1.0 1.1
    1.1 1.2
    1.2 1.3
    1.0 1.3

Hope it can help you.

49. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes Psyche_RTS you are absolutely right. We accidentally switch version checking on Crafty 1.0.4. Sorry about that.

50. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Very nice asset,

I'm working mainly on Mobile and would really love to know when the Mobile version is available.

Cheers.