Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

" Crafty "patching system for Unity projects.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Deleted User, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Djekaster

Djekaster

How can I check which version of Patchie I have?

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Crafty is two in one program it means that Launchie and Patchie is the same as version of Crafty if you are using Crafty from the asset store than you have 1.0.1 and soon 1.0.4 since i am sending new version to the asset store in few moments.

3. Djekaster

Djekaster

Thank you for your quick reply. Currently we are prepare big update of our game to our players. The build size for each platform exceed 3GB. And this update is just a first one from series of updates we are planning to release during a month or two. so we decided to use Patchie to avoid the necessity to our players to download. Does it mean I need to wait until tomorrow?

And second question - our game release for PC, Mac and Linux. I probably saw in this forum thread a discussion about how to build patches for cross-platform games, but cannot find it now. Could you please give me a link, or describe in brief the process? Should I create separate folders (such as PC, Mac and Linux) in Patchie/_current? O I need to name releases in style PC_v1.0 , Mac_v1.0 , Lin_v1.0? Our project is quite big (around 10GB on my disk) so I used to be accurate and well organized with my data. The same way I would prefer to keep well organized all our releases for all platforms, and I need a help to understand how to do this.

Thank you in advance.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

I don't understand what you mean by " wait until tommarow? "

While building a game you can name it what ever you wish but while setting up a version name you can just name builds according to platforms they are meant to be use on. In this case yes PC_v1.0 , Mac_v1.0, Lin_v1.0 is the one that we use personally and we think that it is the most organized one.

Please remember to also call those patches in the version.txt each launcher ( from each system build ) will search for patches you ordered him to.
    It means that if Launcher in the game was build on the version PC_v1.0 threw PC_v1.1 than it will search only for those type of patches.

5. Djekaster

Djekaster

Thank you, it;s really very easy :) I will get it try now.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well your welcome if you will have anymore questions ask away.

Crafty 1.0.4 will have much cleaner file compression algorithm so if you think that your patches are to big, just wait for Crafty 1.0.4 and they should get much smaller.

7. sinoth

sinoth

Been tinkering with Crafty and like what I see so far! I have a technical question for you :)

I've been trying to figure out a good workflow combining uTomate and Crafty. uTomate does a good job of automating tasks such as creating builds of your game. As it stands my workflow looks like this:

1. Run uTomate script to build game into _current
    2. Mark version in Patchie window
    3. Create patch in Patchie window from previous version to newest
    I'd like to be able to automate steps #2 and #3. uTomate can call external DLLs but I'm not sure what to call in PatchieEditor.dll. I noticed there is a Patchie::patchieCompress::Run(string,string) function... does this generate a patch given two version numbers? If so, this would take care of #3. How can I accomplish #2? Can we get an API call that does the same thing as entering a version number and clicking "Add" in the Patchie window?

Also, it seems like creating a patch from the last version to the most recent is a common pattern. Could we maybe get a checkbox to automate that (and/or API call)? I can see it happening at the same time you click "Add" in the Patchie window, where you can toggle a checkbox to "Automatically create patch from previous version".

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey sinoth sorry for the late replied but for the last few days i'm incredible busy and i don't have time even for cup of coffee huh.
    Thanks also for getting interested with Crafty.

But towards your questions, i never seen uTomate before to be honest but even if you will have any problems with connecting Crafty to it, I don't think it will be a problem for us to update Crafty to allow such thing from the start.

Checkbox was meant to be added to Crafty 1.1, as you are not the first to ask for it. So we will be more than happy to provide it :).

9. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Awesome. Thats what I need! I will buy asap.

One question. Your Video Intro is that on purchase somewhere? its cool and would fit my game intro. thanks

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Crafty intro and over all tutorials are made by us :). We like to provide a good quality to everything we make and share.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  11. Djekaster

Djekaster

Thinker, if I might give you any advice, I would suggest to add a possibility to copy/paste text data, such as a number of version, and patch description. Currently this is exactly a feature, which I miss to have in Patchie, working on our PC, Mac, and Linux builds.

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello Djekaster i don't quiet understand what you mean. Patch description is written in the txt file, you can just copy and paste that file threw PC,Mac and Linux, if that is what you mean.

13. Djekaster

Djekaster

Yeah, but why don't you add a possibility to use copy/paste (Ctrl+C Ctrl+V) functions right inside your forms there in Unity? We have numerous in-game tools, released as plugins for Unity, and all out tools have such features. It seems not hard to implement, isn't?

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

We specifically made possible to edit each patch description threw simple file txt to add more functionality, as almost all of our testers in patch description don't write anything but patch number and then later on sit down and write all details threw the notepad as than it can be done more professional, but we can add copy/paste to in unity windows also, it should be added to Crafty 1.1 or sooner.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  15. Deleted User

Deleted User

CRAFTY 1.0.4.

Crafty 1.0.4 is available in the asset store. New documentation is been provided
    to the public on the Penkura website, here.

Please note that there are important changes to the Crafty it self. Unfortunately we cannot support
    anymore any Unity below 3.5.7 only 3.5.7 and higher. Also before the release of Crafty 1.1 we
    need to fix few bug that some of the users found.

v 1.0.4
    + Added Launchie Prefab.
    + New patch creation algorithm fixing many issues and errors appearing with the old algorithm.
    + Url and Version are now public.
    + Launcher is built on layers allowing much easier adjustment to the project and future updates.
    ( Separated Logic and GUI )
    + New Documentation.
    + Dropped Support for Unity 3.4+ (now minimum Unity version is 3.5.7 )
    + Fixed BUG#0003 (Loading bar not showing download process after downloading the patch)

$Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2013
  16. Neo-Gamefactory

Neo-Gamefactory

Hey Thinker,

great Extension but... i have one problem.

Creating Patch for Windows and Linux works fine, but if i want to create a Mac patch....it stays at:
    Please wait until patch will be done.

No Idea why...

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks for informing me about this we will take a look at it, as for now we are rewriting some of the Patch creation script anyway so most likely it will be fixed by it self with new script.
    Non the less you can send me your invoice number at support@penkura.com so if we will find a solution sooner i will be able to provide you with update much quicker. ( thanks to that you won't have to wait for asset store update which may take some time ).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  18. hhartford

hhartford

Hi,

I just bought Crafty and am trying to setup my first patch. Everything seems works fine until the actual patch creation . The blue bars fill up and it just sits there. The patch folder is created in the output folder, but none of the files. I am doing a windows standalone build, and this is Unity 4.3 pro . I will keep tinkering with it. Just wanted to see if you seen this before.

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

Sorry for the late reply but i had to do as much tests as possible before giving out any informations.

I ask few of my testers to check Crafty on Unity 4.3.0f4 Pro but non of them found any problems with Crafty on windows, linux or mac, which is a problem as because of that i can't detect any errors. I will check the code very carefully but till than i need to inform about the changes that were not put in the video tutorial.

First of all Patch creation system will stop in the middle of work and won't go forward IF you try to build from builds with two different names. Builds need to have same name.

Second of all in the game object with your launcher there need to be both LaunchieLogic and LaunchieGUI attached, or else Launcher won't work properly.

20. hhartford

hhartford

I started from the beginning again and it worked this time. My guess was the launchie wasn't setup correctly for my first build, but I am not sure. Thanks for your quick response.

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ok than, happy that it works just in case i will double check the code JUST to be sure.

22. GameArt Philipp

GameArt Philipp

Nice update :) The launcher works much more stable now.

One problem I had before though persists. I still can't create a patch between two versions where files are DELETED from version 1 to version 2. The patch creation hangs (at the same point as for Neo-GameFactory).
    Please fix that.

EDIT: Using Unity 3.5.7 on Windows

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  23. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes we have located the error, we need to create a small change to the CraftyCompress.3.5.dll.
    Older Unity versions always gave us some problems but this is an easy fix it should not take that much of a time.
    We will do our best to repair this as soon as possible and sorry for the inconvenience.

24. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Do you have a tutorial how to change the GUI designwise? Thanks!

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

All documentation is available online on our main website. Other wise i can't help much as Crafty GUI operates on standard Unity GUI the more you know about Unity GUI the more you can do with the Launcher GUI.
    There is a lot of documentation about Unity GUI available on the Unity website.

26. Spelmyst

Spelmyst

I have not read ALL of the previous posts. So I apologize is this question has been asked before.

Are there any plans to add a repair option to Crafty? Like many of the current patching systems for games have. Or will that be left to the user to perform a reinstall?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  27. Deleted User

Deleted User

For now we are focusing on adding fixes to Crafty so it is as much stable as possible, plus we need to create new patching compression so patches will be even smaller than they are now.

After that we will start to add new addition to Crafty like file detection while downloading the patch, download speed indicator, patch size downloading indicator and if possible repair system and outside Launcher support.

I can't give exact date on when we will start to focus on additions to Crafty. As all developers we have very limited time because of our work and private life that said we love to spend our free time on Crafty and other assets that we will release soon. We will do our best to add as much as possible to Crafty but that may take some time.

Thanks to people who already bought Crafty from us we have enough money to buy coffee that fuels as at night-shift coding.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2013
  28. Neo-Gamefactory

Neo-Gamefactory

Hey Thinker,

my Unity version is 4.2.2f4 ;) previously it was 4.3 but this has many issues with builded games... so i go back..

But you said you have found this issue :) GREAT :) so i can make patches for Mac :)

29. Deleted User

Deleted User

As soon as we will repair few more minor problems i will wrap it up and release Crafty 1.0.5 with all the fixes. As soon as it will be ready i will inform everybody on the release date and if someone is in a hurry i will send it to them via email.

30. Neo-Gamefactory

Neo-Gamefactory

It's done, when it's done ;)

31. Halie

Halie

Hey Thinker i was observing your topic for some time now i am new to all of this and thats why i want to ask few questions i'm sorry if those questions are obviouse but i need to make sure before i buy anything.

First you are talking a lot about Crafty 1.1 but i need to know if after that update will we have to pay additional money ? Some of the publishers like to just copy and paste there products add 2 or something at the end and make you pay twice for the same thing. Is it the same ?

Second whats the catch ? I see similar products like yours that work only on windows and they want 100 $ why 50 ? Sorry for that i don't want to be mean or anything i just need to know everything because in my country even 10 bucks is a lot.:)

32. Neo-Gamefactory

Neo-Gamefactory

@ Halie ...
    On first page - >

So i think, Thinker will update Crafty for free.

BUT :) Thinker you can send me a Donate Paypal Link, if thge new update works perfectly then i think i will spend you some more dollars ;)

33. Deleted User

Deleted User

I already mention that few times, we will not ask for any additional money towards Crafty for Windows, Mac and Linux no matter how much we will upgrad it. Crafty for Windows, Mac and Linux is and always will be for $ 50.

You kinda already answer that question. Many of the indie developers don't have much time or money to spend on their project but are still very talented to proceed, ending with fantastic designs. As developer my self that also have very limited budget i understand them, that's why I prefer to take less money than others. So no there is no catch i just hope that more developer will notice Crafty so it will help us overall to create more and better assets.

34. Halie

Halie

I read your post and i am sorry for not looking up everything before posting i already bought Crafty and will check it up i really hope you told the truth and there is no catch :p after i will check Crafty on my project i will give my ten cents about it and propobly have some questions.

35. Halie

Halie

First of all i want to say sorry for being a little bit of mean about all of this :p. I bought and test Crafty with a lot of details and i must admit that i feel bad about how i acted Crafty works 100 % and there is no catch like you said. Sorry for that but i had to be sure as i already had bad experiance with some of the asset developers. Thanks to you i moved my project from dropbox to real server thanks Crafty is must have and i will tell that to my friends :D

Also you mention few times that you take request towards upgrading Crafty, there is cool download bar with % already but is it possible to add indicator on how much MB there is still to download ? That would be really cool and it would make it look more AAA.

36. iwishash1

iwishash1

Hi,
    I'm looking for patch system and Crafty looks great!
    But target platform of my game is mobile (iOS, Android).
    Crafty seems does not support mobile platform. right?
    I saw in To Do List that it will support mobile.
    If you have any schedule about this, please let me know.
    Thank you!

37. Deleted User

Deleted User

Happy that you like your purchases and that Crafty could move your project forward, and don't be sorry i fully understand.

We are planning to add that feature and download speed indicator in Crafty 1.1.

Yes we plan to add mobile support but first we need to deal with all the problems that some of the users are experiencing plus we need to add few major additions to Crafty, till we will feel that Standalone Crafty is good enough to move it to the side and focus on new assets.

But we will try to create Crafty Mobile for sure. Can't tell when but its 100 % sure that we will try.

38. Halie

Halie

Thanks for understading Thinker :) but i have few questions.
    First what security are putted in the game against someone else trying to patch my project ?
    Second why i have to keep some of the Crafty parts in the Editor folder ?
    Third why sometimes my patches are super tiny like 92 kb and sometimes like 20 % of my project ? Even if i changed few things only.
    Not saying that Crafty is bad its 10 times better than other product on the asset store i used but i dont understand it why such a huge difference. Am i doing something wrong ?

39. Deleted User

Deleted User

Every build which contain Launchie will imprint your URL and Version number directly to the game files. ( of course the one you wrote in the Launchie script ).

Some of the script files can't be duplicated as it will crash your launcher, the safest way is to just put them in the Editor ( it is already made like that when you download Crafty folder from the asset store ) This is made only to make Crafty more stable.

Its very simple to understand. Crafty searches each change on a binary level. After the analyse Crafty takes each file with the change AND ALL OF THE FILES effected by that change. It means that if you change one word in a script but the script it self is connected to multiple files it will take the script and all of those files as they are also effected.

That said we are working on new type of patch creation that we will put in 1.1. Which we are focusing on right now as one of the buyers requires it ASAP for his big project. New type of patch creation will decrease the size of the patch it self significantly by compressing only the files that were physically changed. ( without the need of taking all the files that are connected to the change ).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2013
  40. Halie

Halie

Awesome ! :D
    But can you tell a specific date on when we can expect crafty 1.1 ??? Any date at all ?

41. Neo-Gamefactory

Neo-Gamefactory

@ Halie... it's done, when it's done!
    If Thinker called a release date and he can not make it, due to unpredictable errors in the script or something in private life, then complain again many why he has not complied with!

(Google Translate xD)

42. Halie

Halie

Sorry Neo-Gamefactory you are right i am just super exited about this next update, for now crafty gave me a huge leap forward and next update will give me more options to make it much more AAA. But i will be pationts i understand that he cants sit all the time on this :). Sorry

43. GameArt Philipp

GameArt Philipp

Hello Thinker,

I tried the 1.0.4 version of crafty and it STILL has the bug I already wrote about, that prevents me completly from creating working patches. When I create a patch for a Unity game, the game's data folder is stored in the patchfile with th COMPLETE filepath.
    So when the patch gets extracted, I have a subfolder structure representing the complete filepath of my game where I created the patch. Obviously this is not working.

This (together with not being able to create patches where files were deleted) is a complete stopper to use Crafty.
    I have no problem with the launcher script, since I can modify that but I can't do anything about the patch creation.

Sadly, in the current state I can't use crafty at all. It just creates patches that are simply not working.
    I use Unity 3.5.7 on windows.

44. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello Philipp,

Error with not being able to create patch with delete function is already repaired and its in the 1.0.5 packed that will be soon release to the asset store.

Towards your error with the file-path. Patch it self is almost always build with one folder inside that is <name of your game>_Data which is than extracted in the location with your game and naturally when two folders appear next to each other with exact same name, the program will merge two folders together.
    What i would need to know or at least see is exactly how you create the patch as this error should not appear at all since it's a simple merging process and not complicated file-path.
    Just to make sure do you receive any errors at all ?

45. GameArt Philipp

GameArt Philipp

I'll try to reproduce the error and give you more information.

I don't get any errors when applying the patch. The data folder is just not directly in "GameFolder/Game_Data" but in "GameFolder/x/y/z/GameData", where "x/y/z/" is the complete path of where the game version was on patch creation.
    When I copy the folder to the game folder manually, everything works fine.

I used the Crafty GUI to create the versions and the patch, so I don't know where I could have made errors :) I'll try if the error only happens in special cases.

46. Deleted User

Deleted User

So while selecting two builds too create a patch those two builds were located in x/y/z originally ?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2013
  47. GameArt Philipp

GameArt Philipp

No, they were located in two different version folders inside the projects "Patchie" folder (like how crafty creates them). Crafty then uses the complete path of the second version.

I have found, when this error occurs. It only happens, when folders are CREATED between two versions. Updating files inside an existing folder works. Only on folder creation, the absolute path is used.

48. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hmmm this remind me of one error we had in beta Crafty before we even release the 1.0.0. It is possible that when we change the binary version of the patch creation algorithm it could effect the original script that connects to the Unity not only older version but newer one.

I will work on this with the programmer today evening or tomorrow. I will keep you up to date if we will find anything, thanks for the report it will for sure help in the repairs.

49. GameArt Philipp

GameArt Philipp

Okay, thanks. :)

One more thing: When Launchie checks for a new version, it seems to be checking if there are available versions STARTING with my game version not being equal.
    So if my game is "V1.2" and in the versions.txt there is only "V1.23.1 V1.24.1", the check returns TRUE that there is a new version. Even worse, it then tries to download a non-existent version ".1 V1.24.1" (maybe because it takes anything from 2 characters after the check-version as the new version)

Is it really so, that it is checked if versions start with my check-version? The check should only return true if they are EQUAL. :/

50. Deleted User

Deleted User

In the version.txt there need to be your game version and above you can't skip versions. Launchie will search anything threw the link that you provided so its normal that Launchie tries to download what ever he can. That's why version.txt is so important.

Make sure that in version.txt version of your game is always inside of it.