Search Unity

CPU or GPU beeps

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by MathewHI, Sep 25, 2021.

1. MathewHI

MathewHI

i9 and Geforce 3080 beeps when I run in HDRP, also I hear it getting louder and fan blows harder. Does anyone know what might be the problem. This is the second one I got, the first one would just shut down after about 10 minutes. The store said it was probably some connection between the cpu and gpu but they didn't really know either. Just thought I would throw this out there as a last ditch effort if anyone can offer any advice before I return this one as well.
    Thanks.

2. Coin9

Coin9

The beeps comes from your motherboards diagnostic speaker and i would guess most likely due your cpu overheating or maybe malfunctioning cpu fan but anyways i would first check if your cpu fan has come loose or incorrectly seated assuming you are not using watercooling and then monitor your cpu and gpu temps. You also might want to check your system windows logs from computer management to see if there's any errors shown for this problem. Or the beeps might just be coil whine?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    MathewHI likes this.
  3. Olmi

Olmi

When in doubt, I would definitely recommend installing some hardware monitor like HWiNFO64 so that you diagnose what is possibly wrong in your system. Then you can see a wide variety of stats from various sensors etc. in your system. At least have the hw monitor on when you are doing something and then see how the different temperatures change under load and so on. If you see some high values (what is high varies between different CPUs/GPUs etc.) start figuring out why it might happen.

MathewHI likes this.
  4. MathewHI

MathewHI

Thanks for the advice, actually it does have a water cooling system. I'll check the logs too.

5. MathewHI

MathewHI

I'll install that monitor, thanks for the advice

6. MathewHI

MathewHI

I downloaded HWiNfo64 and followed some tutorials on how to use it. My computer has been sitting for a couple of hours, I opened the temperature graph and opened Unity. As soon as I press play the beeping begins and ends as soon as I exit play mode. The GPU temp goes from about 45 -62 and CPU goes from 31- 48 in play mode. Is that a normal temperature jump? I know something has to be wrong because of the beeping.

7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Is there maybe some sort of led panel on the motherboard that displays an error code or something?

8. MathewHI

MathewHI

I looked but don't see an led panel anywhere.

9. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

The motherboard manual should have a section about the beeping (like if it beeps 4 times it means X, if it beeps in the pattern it means Y).

10. MathewHI

MathewHI

I looked up the beep codes, its just doing a solid continuous beep while in play mode. It has shut down before too so my guess is its some kind of CPU thermal trip warning. I'm just going to have to return it thanks.

11. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Are you sure it is a beep and not something like coil whine?

12. MathewHI

MathewHI

Just to throw this out there too but I have two HDRP projects I'm currently working on. One was converted from the standard pipeline and one was started as an original HDRP project. The converted project never beeps or overheats only the original HDRP project beeps and raises the CPU temp, really weird.

13. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

See the start of this video for examples of coil whine:

14. MathewHI

MathewHI

Its definitely a beep I'm positive about that.

15. MathewHI

MathewHI

Not thats not it, its a beep.

16. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

The temps you posted are normal.

Motherboard beeping is usually when the computer can't boot or something.

All signs point to coil whine to me. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it also doesn't sound temperature related and the computer does work.

17. MathewHI

MathewHI

I know its not the coil whine its a deliberate beep.

18. Olmi

Olmi

One sound vaguely similar to a beep in addition to the coil whine is hard drive head parking noise. And certain disks mechanisms sometimes give a short metallic sound when they do stuff. Depending on how your case is insulated, you might hear that quite well.

But I haven't yet had a system that would beep when the system is actually running in operating system. The motherboard beeps mostly happen while the system is doing the POST (Power-On Self-Test.)

If you have a speaker/buzzer in your system that can be removed, I would first suggest detaching it temporarily from the motherboard to isolate the source of the beep. This way you could rule out coil whine/hard drive noises.

On PC motherboards (desktops) the connector is usually in the bottom right quarant, near the bottom edge. It can be in one single cluster where reset/power etc. are, or as separate connector. The id name varies between brands in my experience. For example Gigabyte/ASUS has usually SPEAKER, MSI I've seen to have JFP2.

19. MathewHI

MathewHI

Actually I believe its m
    I think now it is my fault, I have two computers hooked up to the same outlet. I noticed when one computer is playing a video it causes my Unity computer to make the long continuous beep while in play mode. Its definitely a beep and I'm pretty sure its a thermal trip warning, I can show a video of it if you want to hear it.