Search Unity

CPM rate skyrockets to $10,000

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by sean244, Oct 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sean244

sean244

I saw a YouTube video of someone who shared their experience with Unity Ads
    In the video, the person talks about how their CPM rate fluctuated between $1,000 and $10,000 and he didn't know why. He assumed it was a bug in Unity, but he eventually had his account suspended because Unity thought he was intentionally committing fraud, even though he maintains he did nothing wrong on his part. He tried reaching out to Unity, but they gave him an automated response stating that their decision to suspend the account was final, even though he still doesn't know what he did wrong - if anything at all. Can anyone share some light on this? If it was something he did on his end, does anybody know what it is? I'm fairly new to Unity Ads myself, so I just want to make sure I don't end up in the same situation as this person did.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  2. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

Hi,

Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately the game and how Unity Ads has been integrated isn't really shown in that video (in fact seems like most of the video is showing some other game). So hard to say why his game/account was flagged as fraud.

Our guidelines are listed in https://unity3d.com/legal/invalid-activity-policy, so if you follow those, you should be fine ofc. As said, cannot see how he presented ads in his game (except for the one screenshot), so cannot really conclude much from this, sorry.

In any case, the rules are there to ensure a healthy ecosystem where advertisers also see they get actual users to play their games. And I hope he's then doing fine with his game using Admob instead. As the video also shows, you are free to choose the ad nework you prefer, we do our best to make Unity Ads the simplest to integrate and give you a good revenue on your games, so hope you ofc choose Unity Ads :)

Hope I managed to address your question/concern, ofc feel free to follow up.

Thanks,
    Rasmus

3. MaZy

MaZy

It says in the video in the email, he had a test game and uploaded to the store and the game content was just a button to show ads. However, he earned much in next days / weeks and he couldn't understand why he was earning. Who was using the app and so an. (Actually he could check the analytics and also the google dev dashboard)

Problems
    • He made one button test game (it does not matter test or not. It is against the rules.. You steal money from advertiser... for useless ads) If I were advertiser, I were angry about this guy because he wasted my money for nothing and even takes my money for nothing.
    • High cpm means someone installed games via the ad and played it. It could be a bot, the developer itself and much more.
    • "$20" with $1000 cpm. This means $1 for every ad (I guess with installs)
    • In other words someone used the ad / installed for money or to abuse it (maybe he itself? Or someone with bot?) However, even he wouldn't earn 0, he still had the one button there.
    Unity support could of course say "Ok, may we unban again" but the problem is still he shouldn't publish a game with unity ads where you only have one button to show ads. This makes the decision difficult (or easy?).

sean244 likes this.
  4. sean244

sean244

You're right. I completely missed the part where he said that all his app did was play an ad whenever a button was clicked. That would definitely constitute fraud on his part. I don't know why I missed that part of the video.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  5. TebogoWesi

TebogoWesi

i saw this vid too and it got me spooked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.