Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Couple questions on 2D rigging and IK

Discussion in 'Animation' started by tHE_uKER, Nov 18, 2019.

1. tHE_uKER

tHE_uKER

I have a 2D character set up fairly well, but have two questions that are giving me some hard time.

1. My bones are parented properly, but if I toy around with the IK, they're allowed to become disjointed from one another, and the shin is set apart from the thigh. I've seen YouTube videos when in the skinning editor there used to be the option to create both jointed or disjointed bones (like the upper arm from the torso bone). Am I doing something wrong, or is the distjointing just bound to happen?

2. When I added the IK solver my character was standing with its legs perfectly straight and now the knees bend the wrong way. I guess the flexing in the default pose is the one that's enforced, and now I'd need to edit the character's default pose. Is there any way to correct this without deleting the solver and starting from scratch?

3. Somewhat related to the previous point, is there any way to create joint constraints, like having the knees not able to bend backwards or go over say 135º flexion which would put the character's heels inside its buttocks?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019