Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Counting number of times user played game (deleting old count)

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by FamilyGamesTime, Nov 8, 2020.

1. FamilyGamesTime

FamilyGamesTime

I've just released a new ios game that is one endless level. One of the things I am counting in unity analytics is the number of times played - recorded when they press restart. So the first time is 1, second time is 2 etc.

The problem I've realized is that if a person plays 3 times - this records them playing 1, 2, and 3. Is there anyway to delete the old analytics record for 1 and 2 for that specific player? It is very confusing going through the data - to work out how many times people have only played once I have to subtract all the times people played twice.

Or is there a better way to do it? If I record just on application pause or quit then I will still end up with duplicate data if they play it again.

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

You might consider the Retention metric. This counts how many users come back the next day. But also keep in mind, how do you plan to modify and improve your game over time with the data you are acquiring? What is the business justification? Also, the Dashboard doesn't show per-user data, so I'm interested how you are "subtracting" values. https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityAnalyticsTerminology.html

3. FamilyGamesTime

FamilyGamesTime

Thanks, yes I was aware of retention but that is about whether they come back in the following days - I was more interested in how many times/rounds a user played a game - especially whether most of them stopped after once or twice, which might indicate I'm not explaining how to play the game well.

The subtraction was just a rough estimate, e.g. if I had recorded
    numberOfGames
    0 - 20 times
    1 - 18 times
    2 - 15 times

on a given day - then I would assume 15 people played twice, 3 people played once, and 2 people played 0 times. Of course it's just a rough estimate as you could have values recorded from people playing on previous days.

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Understood, but that would not be possible. You would want to send a separate event type or parameter value for each occurrence of each scenario.