Search Unity

Couldn't switch resolution error when trying to run on Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Windows' started by tycurry, Feb 23, 2018.

1. tycurry

tycurry

Hi, I am trying to run my game that was programmed on Mac on a Windows Vista OS, the computer is a DELL XPS 210. I made the resolution of the game specifically to match the monitor that I am working with, (1280x1024) but when I try to run the game it gives me an error that reads:

Couldn't switch to requested monitor resolution

Switching to resolution 1280x1024 failed, trying lower one
    All resolution switches have failed
    Screen: DX11 could not switch resolution (1280x1024 fs=0 hz=0)

I don't understand why it would try to switch resolutions when the computer is already set to 1280x1024 and the game itself is also set to run at that resolution.

My graphics card is DX11, which is what is listed in the system requirements for unity games, but im not sure what 9.3 feature capabilities means.

I have tried changing the resolution on both the monitor and the game. I have found some fixes for this regarding games like Hearthstone and such, but they don't apply to a game I made myself.

Please help!

Do I need a different monitor, or is this a graphics card issue?

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

First of all, what Unity version are you on? What DX11 fullscreen mode are you using?

3. tycurry

tycurry

I'm building from the latest version, 2017.3.1. By fullscreen mode do you mean in the player settings when building, or on the target PC?

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Player settings. Or whatever you select in the screen selector dialog on target PC if that's enabled.

5. tycurry

tycurry

I've tried both windowed mode and fullscreen mode, and built the game with a giant variety of screen size options in the player settings. I've tried "default is native resolution" and setting the default manually, I've tried disabling the resolution dialog, setting fullscreen to default, most everything; is there a specific one I should try/should be using?

6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

No, that shouldn't matter. I was just wondering whether a particular one caused issues.

Does the game not start at all? Or does it start with distorted resolution? Does this issue only happens on one specific machine? What's the exact windows version the machine is on? Can you paste full player log?

7. tycurry

tycurry

The game doesn't start at all; if in fullscreen mode it yields this error and the computer loads forever, in windowed mode it displays a window with no content (not sure if sound plays; there are no speakers hooked up to the PC.) The game runs fine on mac, haven't tried it on other PCs, but I have a surface with Windows 8 I will try it out on for troubleshooting purposes. It's running Windows Vista Home Premium, should be service pack 2.

8. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Yeah, I'll need the player log.

9. tycurry

tycurry

I'm having some trouble finding a player log. How is it normally accessed?

10. tycurry

tycurry

Found it! Here we go:

Attached Files:

11. tycurry

tycurry

Just tried the program on a newer Windows 7 CPU, and it gives me the same error.

12. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Do you have graphics drivers installed? You're running on software adapter!

13. tycurry

tycurry

Yes, I made sure that the drivers I have installed are compatible with the requirements listed for unity. It's an up to date version of GeForce.

I have solved this problem, but only by upgrading to a new system that is running Windows 10. The player works perfectly fine there.

14. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

What graphics card did that Windows Vista computer have?

15. ranaweera

ranaweera

I TOO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AND DID EVERY THING.PROBLEM COMES IN WIN 7.
    EVEN WITH NEWEST WIN UPDADE PROBLEM COMES

Attached Files:

• ER.jpg
      ER.jpg
      File size:
      252.6 KB
      Views:
  16. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

What is your version of the OS in "winver" dialog? What version of Unity are you using? What's your graphics card and GFX driver version?

17. Ashwin3207

Ashwin3207

Can't fic it in win 7 cause i really like win 7