Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Nominations have been announced for this years Unity Awards. Celebrate the wonderful projects made by your peers this year and get voting! Vote here!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Could Unity beat Unreal and Steam with a 10% game store?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arowx, Dec 5, 2018.

?

Would you like to see a Unity Game Store and what cut should they take?

1. No

15 vote(s)
    57.7%
  2. Yes 50%

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Yes 40%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes 30%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Yes 20%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Yes 10%

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  7. Yes 5%

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  8. Yes 2%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Yes 1%

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Arowx

Arowx

Steam takes 30% now Unreal has launched a games store that takes 12% so could Unity create a game store that beats both with a 10% cut.

Unity already has the asset store system which has a built in payment system and ties every existing Unity users ID and their purchases of assets. How much more work would be needed to convert it to the Unity store and provide a site for games?

In theory all of the tools and work they have put into making it easy for Unity developers to share and sell assets could also allow them to sell games.

What additional features would the asset store need to work well as a games store?

Could they sell games and make a profit from a 10% cut?

Would the sales data combined with the engine information allow Unity to improve the core engine and features to allow more profitable games to be made more easily?

Aritcle on Unreal Store https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/4/...e-steam-game-store-distribution-unreal-engine

2. deliquescator

deliquescator

Interesting concept. I think this could work. They could even do like a free game arcade where people could publish their games and comment on others, similar to what Scirra does with their Construct engine.

3. yoonitee

yoonitee

No chance. Unity has no gamer audience. Are developers just going to sell games to each other?

The only way it could work is if Unity started forcing a splash screen that said "If you liked this game please visit our Unity Game Store" with a link underneath.

dogzerx2 likes this.
  4. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

The reason Epic has a chance of success is because Epic forced many millions of Fortnite users to install Epic's launcher. If Unity wanted to sell games, then Unity would need to start by getting a similar install base of a game launcher.

The revenue share has zero affect on where I choose to sell games. I am happy to continue giving Steam 30%, because over 125M users have Steam on their PCs. Epic's install base is still small compared to Steam, but it is at least large enough (thanks to Fortnite) to have a chance of getting some sales.

I heard Fortnite has 125M players worldwide across all platforms, but I don't know specifically how many of those users have installed Epic's launcher on a PC. A lot of the Fortnite players are on consoles.

Anyway, for Unity to even try to sell games, Unity would need to release a free multiplayer game that required a Unity branded game launcher, and that free game would need to get massively popular.

5. Arowx

Arowx

Well Unreal use their Launcher / Store app, if Unity combined it's Hub and Asset store then added games it would have a Store App.

Which is a fraction of the 30 million daily active steam users and 125 million annual users of steam but still an audience interested in games.

Also for asset store sellers being able to say their assets were used in best selling games would be a huge bonus, people could buy a game with the assets in or try a demo to see how good it plays.

deliquescator likes this.
  6. Arowx

Arowx

So Unity needs to convert it's FPS sample into a free game with a Battle Royale mode (100 players) and add in a building/parachuting mechanic with a 8k world map.

7. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Sure. That is easy enough. Maybe somebody at Unity can do that this weekend real quick. But of course, also make sure it is unique enough to be interesting, and performs well on a variety of systems. And maybe Unity can do a quick marketing campaign on Monday to convince millions of Fortnite and/or PUBG players to stop playing those games and play the new Unity game instead.

The reality is that it would likely take a minimum of a year to properly develop a game after a decision was reached, and by then the market could have shifted. Simply cloning Fortnite is not enough for Unity to succeed in this case. Unity would need to deliver a game that made Fortnite players say "Wow, this is way better than Fortnite. I will play this instead of Fortnite."

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Kiwasi likes this.
  8. ptcmia

ptcmia

9. Player7

Player7

lol sure I don't see why not, at least they'll have a week sprint work on improving the Unity Fps game right.

jk I don't think a game is required, money time people sure, the important thing is a platform that works and looks good and %cut that is a good for both parties. If they can bother to do addition features that developers can integrate into there game even better.. anti hack stuff, mod tooling etc ever better.

Because Unity already dominate as a game engine, they already have tons of games being made with it..and plenty of developers that would be like sure, why not I get a better cut selling this on the store Unity already provide and would be easier to integrate addition features with.

10. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

11. yoonitee

yoonitee

Getting developers on the platform is not the problem. Getting gamers on the platform is.

angrypenguin likes this.
  12. Player7

Player7

If the developer can offer a better price because the platform %cut is lower then well I'm explaining basics here.

Still the platform has to actually be good for gamers aswel, but overall whatever can be gotten cheaper has always worked, it's why consumers always end up feeding monopolies... until it becomes so blindly obvious that they are sht and serve no purpose the original core objective.. then someone else has to come along and offering something better, be it a better experience, product etc and/or just tear down whatever crapopoly has abused its position.

13. yoonitee

yoonitee

That could work for big game companies who do their own marketting. But for small indies it is better to be on a platform with millions of views and a high percent to pay than on a platform with no views and a low percent to pay. Also big game companies don't need to be on any platform.

14. Murgilod

Murgilod

Unity can't even make a terrain system that doesn't rely on heightmaps and you expect them to make a digital distribution platform with likely social media elements built in?

15. LurkingNinjaDev

LurkingNinjaDev

Sure, Unity Connect GamePlatform based on Lithium.

16. Player7

Player7

lol ... I think we are just enjoying talking about what if's, besides Unity does some things like years later in some cases as little as 1year later based on forum suggestions ;)

Well Unity could start with a platform it doesn't have to be for the larger players, they could have a section called the junkyard, you go through and buy 'playable' :D games that also offer a unity package for the source/assets where you can take it apart remake it, workshop modding support right?

17. RichardKain

RichardKain

Unity already has a digital distribution platform. It's called the Asset Store. Could they expand that service to provide full games as well as plugins and graphics for their engine? Yes they could. Should they? That's a different question.

Unity's Asset Store is a distinctly different beast to Steam. There is far more active curation and adherence to standards on the Asset Store. You have to follow technical guidelines for the Asset Store, and if you don't your submitted project can and often does get rejected. And the Asset Store is geared toward much smaller and more limited projects as opposed to fully-featured and finished games.

If Unity wanted to start dappling in that area, they could. They have the infrastructure in place to begin experimenting. But what they couldn't do is create a Steam competitor right out of the gate. Their current digital distribution is not structured the same way, and would not accommodate the kind of volume that a Steam-style service would require. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it also would limit how quickly they could scale up, and how much bandwidth they would have for submissions. It would not, and likely should not be the same thing.

18. yoonitee

yoonitee

Just to point out one of YOU could make your own platform. You could probably build one for less than $100.
    All you need is to make a website. Host it on something like Azure or Google Cloud. Set a maximum bandwidth limit so you don't get surprise charges. Use the PayPal API to get money. Add a simple way for people to get refunds.
    Big tip: Make the background of your website black.
    You could start simple just by selling games within one country.
    You could do most of that within a week.
    Not saying you'd get many customers though!
    In fact I'm thinking of making my own indie video hosting site.

19. Antypodish

Antypodish

At current state, I don't see in future Unity having Gaming Platform / Launcher.
    Simply is because, Unity is very terrible in anything to do with web and community utilities.
    Let them focus on Game Engine.

LaneFox likes this.
  20. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Unity is good at making game engines. They should stick to that. Unity is not good at making websites, or doing stores, or at payment processing, or community management, or branding or customer support. They should avoid all that. Which basically means they should avoid making a store.

You got to hide these things under trigger warnings. Here I was just casually browsing the forums, and bam, PTSD all over the place. :p

21. BlankDeed

BlankDeed

That is so far out of their business model that I wouldn't even know where to begin.

22. tiggus

tiggus

Have you seen the "new" Asset Store? Does this look like a company good at making storefronts?

23. Player7

Player7

Well it's probably better they don't do it, I mean think about it, if they actually succeed in creating a store for selling games that becomes successful.. well they could end up being like valve who no longer bother to make good games, they might no longer bother to make a ...good? game engine :D

lol I still wonder why everytime I goto the asset store in web browser it starts loading up the old one, like most the elements for it, theme coloring etc.. and then bam loads up the newer one.. does it everytime.. no idea why, i don't like either store front really. They are both equally as bad in different ways, it's like they need to make a third one where they actually just keep the good bits and remake all the bad bits. And better yet actually do it for the Unity hub/editor with something that is actually fast and caches S***, and doesn't need to take a year to show my owned packages, especially locally downloaded ones.. its just fking awful.

24. Steve-of-Construction

Steve-of-Construction

Unity's Asset Store is one of the worst sites I've seen in 25 years of internet.
    It often crashes, doesn't work correctly in any browser and in the end it's impossible to find anything without a lot of frustration.
    The game engine is good - but everything on the web just a bad joke. Sorry to say that but it's true.

So the idea to sell Unity games in a Unity Store is really good, but just if this working for everyone and not just for the people with the correct browsers, correct resolutions, correct extensions and and and...
    Just 'keep it simple' may be a good start.

Antypodish and Kiwasi like this.