Search Unity

Could the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B allow developers to create Unity games on a Pi?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arowx, May 30, 2020.

1. Arowx

Arowx

The specs for the Pi 4 B are impressive with a good 64 bit ARM CPU, Linux OS support and Dual 4K HDMI monitor support and don't forget the 8 GB ram version.

Specs

• Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz
    • 2GB, 4GB or 8GB LPDDR4-3200 SDRAM
    • 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz IEEE 802.11ac wireless, Bluetooth 5.0, BLE Gigabit Ethernet2 USB 3.0 ports;
    • 2 USB 2.0 ports.
    • 2 × micro-HDMI ports (up to 4kp60 supported)
    • H.265 (4kp60 decode), H264 (1080p60 decode, 1080p30 encode)
    • OpenGL ES 3.0 graphics
    Is there a Unity Linux Editor ARM build that could allow developers to make games for and on a £35-£75 computer?

Or the Unity Software Engineers could take this at a challenge to see if they could optimize and improve the Unity Editor for a very low spec hardware platform?

neoshaman likes this.
  2. Murgilod

Murgilod

No.

JoNax97, Ryiah and neoshaman like this.
  3. neoshaman

neoshaman

I wish

but as murgilod already said ....

edit:
    try that instead

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  4. Murgilod

Murgilod

It's not just that. This is another arowx post where the fundamental issues here are just ignored. This is not something that would be at all good to develop on even ignoring the ridiculous notion of Unity targeting ARM as an editor platform. The Cortex A72 has an improved clock speed over earlier rPi SOCs, but it also has a whopping 1MB of L2 cache. To put that into perspective, the early Core2Duos that launched back in 2006 had 2MB, and those were dramatically outclassed by the 4MB variants and unlocks that came later. Most desktop processors nowadays start at 3MB of L2 cache with 4MB being pretty common for a reason.

To add to this, the GPU on this thing is an improvement over previous ones as well, but it's still going to struggle to run a lot of really primitive 3D games made in Unity. When you consider this in the context of the overhead that's going to come with the editor diagnostic features, this thing is either going to run like a toaster or not run at all.

Again, this is just what arowx always does: "I saw a neat thing and now it's time to throw critical thinking out the window because I saw a neat thing, damnit!"

JoNax97 likes this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

But I just bought the 4 GB version. :(

Arowx likes this.
  6. Arowx

Arowx

Good idea if you can run AAA games in browser/app via Stadia what's stopping you from running a Game Engine?

7. Murgilod

Murgilod

That video doesn't demonstrate streaming at all, it's Godot running as an HTML5 application. Also Stadia is bad enough for latency in games already, it'd be pretty awful to have to deal with that while TYPING.

8. neoshaman

neoshaman

Why use a bowser when you can port godot o rpi anyway, may bad, I should have checked because they made godot run on rpi0

It's not practical in a normal middle class context with access to technology. I'm well aware of everything you said, but I did toy with the idea because that's among the "good option" I could afford. I already have experience with subpar hardware anyway, that's basically all my life, my current set up is not to standard but it cost me a fleshy arm to get it. If I could just have those fancy gpu low tier card I would be more happy.

You can already loan cloud computer to install productivity apps, see shadow cloud services.

9. Murgilod

Murgilod

When I say that power is an issue, I also provide context. In this case, that context is “this is subpar to the technological capabilities when compared against hardware that will be old enough to drive a car soon.” The L2 cache limitations here are such that you’d be better served buying a used laptop for the same price even if an editor build was available

neoshaman likes this.
  10. Arowx

Arowx

However with 15 years of development the Unity game editor should be:
    1. Way more efficient and optimized than the original.
    2. Now they have DOTS technology.
    3. Burst Compiler technology.
    4. 15 years of improved interface architecture, APIs, SDKs that can take advantage of modern GPUs.
    5. Combined with the potential SIMD instruction set of a modern quad core ARM processor VS a 2005/6 dual core Intel CPU.
    So just as the hardware technology we build on has changed the software we build with has also changed.

Bizarley the original Unity Editor might be faster and lighter than the modern Unity Editor and therefore maybe you could use Unity with a Raspberry Pi 4 B just not the 2019 or 2020 version you might be better off using the 2006 version.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  11. Murgilod

Murgilod

Wow, not only did you ignore what my post actually said but you decided that the best way to account for that was to keep being wrong.

JoNax97 likes this.
  12. MDADigital

MDADigital

Better they improve editor performance on existing platforms.

13. Ryiah

Ryiah