Search Unity

TextMesh Pro Could TextMeshPro/TextCore ever support multi-channel signed distance fields?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by cxode, Nov 27, 2022.

1. cxode

cxode

TextMeshPro currently uses single-channel SDFs. I just came across this novel technique for using multi-channel SDFs to drastically increase the sharpness of glyphs by using three channels in the SDF textures:

Could TextMeshPro/TextCore ever support this method of rendering ultra crisp text? Honestly, I'd be interested in implementing it myself, but since they're taking away our source code access soon, I worry it would be wasted effort...

Peter77, ontrigger and kuubeu like this.
  2. cxode

cxode

Bump! Unless I'm missing something, this technique should be an unambiguous upgrade over the current SDF implementation. I hope some text people at Unity are aware of it. Who doesn't love crisp corners?

3. Unifikation

Unifikation

The guy that made the SDF generator didn't even join Unity, so far as I'm aware, and his partner in the TMP project has since been promoted to an ambassadorial role.

So unless you know how to do this yourself, I can't see it being done.

4. cxode

cxode

I do know how to do this myself, it's not even that complicated. As I mentioned in the OP, I'm very hesitant to do so because source code access to TMP will disappear soon, and my fork would fall behind the newly-closed-source TextCore and eventually become useless.

5. Unifikation

Unifikation

Yeah... the choices made for UI in Unity are... at best, odd.

6. jimmy6dof

jimmy6dof

yo @cxode if you do it pls let me know I am very interested for VR/MR it is supported in some JS/WebGL packages , also this old unity asset somehow had support for it too but they are not replying to anything I send them lol

Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
    Sift3D likes this.
  7. cxode

cxode

Hey @jimmy6dof , my team has decided to leave Unity behind and use Godot going forward, so I won't be making any new Unity tools, sorry. Although, you may be interested to know that Godot has built-in MSDF support :)

jimmy6dof likes this.