Search Unity

Could someone tell me where's the best place to learn shader graph thoroughly, like getting a good f

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by frozenmangotree, Jun 22, 2021.

1. frozenmangotree

frozenmangotree

I'm also seriously considering learning amplify, if I'm to learn either shader graph or amplify with a good fundamental understanding which should I be going for? As for learning how to code shaders, I see some people recommend that, but just how complex is that and how much more time does it take to create a custom shader that way vs using a graph workflow instead?

2. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

All node based systems are essentially the same, they use the same features and even the nodes share the same names.

Amplify has a WEALTH of tutorial videos and sample shaders and setups. I would recommend amplify 100% if you're serious about your shaders and materials. It's not even close, take amplify. It's one of the bright spots when using Unity.

Their customer support has also been top notch when I needed it months back.

3. frozenmangotree

frozenmangotree

thanks so much, how is their shaders for 2d sprites and 2d in general?

4. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

There really aren't any specifics for 2D vs 3D, all the features that make 3D shaders cool can be applied to shaders used in a 2d game. You would think a "fresnel" node that masks geometry based on facing angle to the camera might be specific to 3d games, but once you normal map something even flat textures will have facing data that you can manipulate with your shaders.

I'd recommend just finding various videos where they make cool things and work along side with them. Dissolve shaders are a great place to start to learn the basics of working with multiple textures and effects.

Shader functions are super cool and unique to amplify and I use them all teh time:

Here are some random videos to get you started:

The math nay not always make sense to you, whatever. Throw them in a function node and you never have to worry about it again. You can start making your own library of functionality of radial mask nodes, custom noise type stuff, all kinds of things if this is your kind of thing.

Again don't let the engine or tool used by the author prevent you from learning from a tutorial for node based shaders, they really are nearly identical in functionality and UI so you can easily work along anything and pick up neat tricks.

5. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

Real quick addition

Good chance you'll be working with flipbook animations if you're doing a 2d game.

Truth be told I haven't worked in depth with 2d, so i'm not sure if you're giving up any base atlasing functionality with base Unity setups and materials.