Search Unity

Could not obtain developer license for Hololens

Discussion in 'VR' started by Ebolt76, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Ebolt76

Ebolt76

Hello,
    I am having a problem deploying to the HoloLens. I ran into this before. It didn't work for a while, then suddenly started working I believe. I did someupdates, reinstalled Visual Studio and can't deploy again. The app builds fine, even just using the test apps from the holoacademy with nothing changed. Then when I run the app in VS it gets to deploy, hangs for a minute then says:

There were deployment errors. Continue?
    1>DEP0100L Please ensure that target device has developer mode enabled. Could not obtain a developer license on 127.0.0.1 due to error 80004005.
    Deploy: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped.

Then after continue, I get an error that says:
    DEP0100: Please ensure that target device has developer mode enabled. Could not obtain a developer license on 127.0.0.1 due to error 80004005.
    (Which I explained, I know the developer modes are all turned on for sure, and make sure that nothing is asleep or anything when I am building)

I am using Unity 5.6.4 and VS 2017, and have researched this greatly. Reinstalling multiple times. The HoloLens and computer both definitely have Devolper options all turned on. I can see the portal just fine, and can Live Stream on the portal. I ran the Holographic Emulation in Unity with the Holographic Remoting app and can see the app fine. It's just deploying the app.

Do I need a windows id to deploy it, maybe I am not using the correct id login for VS, the HoloLens one haa never changed. But I see you have to pay $19 to Microsoft for a store id, could this be the problem if I didn't set one up before or am using the wrong email for VS?

I also notice in APPS & FEATURES>Manage Optional Features under Optional Features I don't have a Windows Developer Mode package, it was empty for ever, but with all the installs I have been doing to try to fix this from suggestions on various boards, it now has Fonts, but doesn't have Windows Developer Mode package. Altho I can turn on Developer mode on my pc, so I don't know if that's it?

I have also tried building a .appx from Visual Studio with the Modelexplorer file, and it builds the .appx fine, then fails when I try to run it after uploading the file on the portal.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

Hi Ebolt. Have you run down this list of all the required tools needed for HoloLens deployment to make sure it's all been reinstalled properly and you didn't miss one? https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/install_the_tools

It sounds like Unity is doing what it's supposed to by what you're describing since the simulator works, remoting works, and the build completes successfully. Have you posted to the Microsoft forums about this?

3. Ebolt76

Ebolt76

Yeah, I've made sure everything is installed a few times. And I have posted on the Microsoft forums, haven't heard back anything yet. It's so weird. It shouldn't be this hard since everything comes up in Visual Studio, and builds in Unity etc. I have tried multiple versions of Unity, tried a few different default HoloLens apps, the ModelExplorer and GalaxyExplorer etc with no settings changed, and changing a few settings, and it's always the same Deploy failed, nothing else.

4. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

What edition and version of Windows are you running on?

5. Ebolt76

Ebolt76

Windows 10, I'll have to look at the version tomorrow. I know it's not the very latest version, our company won't let me do the latest update through the security settings.

6. Ebolt76

Ebolt76

Windows 10 Enterprise
    Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393

7. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

I'm doing some asking around, hopefully can get you an answer soon or someone from MS to pipe in. I sent a request their way to take a look at this, but I don't know how busy their people are currently. I'll see what I can dig up.

8. ericguesz_ngc

ericguesz_ngc

I am having the exact same issue on a brand new development machine with all the tools freshly installed and developer mode enabled on both devices. Everything builds fine from Unity.
    I've tried multiple versions of Unity 2017 as well with Visual Studio 2017.
    Dev Machine OS: Windows 10 Pro, version 1703, build: 15063.726
    HoloLens OS: 10.0.14393.1884 (latest update)

Building with Universal Windows Platform version 10.0.16299.0

9. EnterpriseVR

EnterpriseVR

I am having the same problem, also. Did you guys eve find a fix?

10. billyjacobs

billyjacobs

I am also having this problem. Why doesn't anyone answer from Unity? It is very discouraging when you go through the effort of learning and creating hololens software and you cannot even deploy to your own device.

11. billyjacobs

billyjacobs

So I did some searching and found that one way to solve the problem is to reset your hololens device. It will have the latest version of the device software after you reset it. I was hesitant against doing this at first but it worked like a charm.

12. tahirvj

tahirvj

faced the same issue, I SOLVED IT BY CHANGING TARGET DEVICE TO HOLOLENS WHEN BUILDING IN UNITY

13. anajymua

anajymua

I change it to hololens when building in unity but it does not work.

14. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

This is now a very old thread, started 2 years ago. Just so i'm up to speed, are we seeing identical behavior to the original post? If you could update me with any information to reproduce this, or log a new bug from the editor with a minimum repro project attached I can get this looked at.