Search Unity

Bug Could not load connection between '<node value>' and '<node>' and '<node value2>' and '<node2>'

Discussion in 'Visual Scripting' started by rie_unity, Nov 1, 2022.

1. rie_unity

rie_unity

I'm using 2021.3.10f1 and have fairly simple subgraphs, the warnings are popping up for every state in my state machine. The connections are loaded and the game runs fine, it's just the warnings that pop up.

Here is a list of everything I tried:
    • Deleting Library and Project/Solution files.
    • Restarting my computer.
    • Restarting Unity several times.
    • Regenerate Nodes a 100 times.
    • Generate Custom Inspector Properties
    • Script Reference Resolver's "Fix Missing Scripts" (with no missing scripts found each time).
    I'm slowly running out of ideas and was hoping that if there was someone else that ran into issue and solved it.

2. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Either you've updated Unity, updated some package or asset store product or updated your own code. The warning means that API has changed somewhere and therefore a node connections is broken in some graph.

Things you can do:
    1. Open each graph manually and locate broken connection/node by visual confirmation. Broken things are colored red in graphs.
    2. There should be a GUID in the warning. You can use the GUID number sequence to manually search graphs. They're text assets so you can open them in some text editor and ctrl+f search for the GUID. If the search succeeds, you've located the broken graph and then can fix it in the editor.
    3. If the warning gives some clue to what the node could be, you could use Node Finder to find it: https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...node-finder-for-unity-visual-scripting-205655

3. rie_unity

rie_unity

So, I know exactly the graphs it's throwing it on and the connections are fine, no broken connections or red indications that there is an error. The weird part is the error happens with any new subgraph or node I add.

Also, I didn't know about the node finder, thanks for showing me that! It's really awesome.

4. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

That is starting to sound like some serialization bug although it could still be a warning from a different graph, the broken connection warning is global and the source could be any of your asset based graphs or embedded graphs in the scene. Editing existing graphs could be triggering the warning from another graph.

5. rie_unity

rie_unity

I did check each graph that I had and all was well in them! And some of the warnings threw it on specific nodes that were only used on a single graph, so it makes it easier to verify that single graph too. But, you might be very well right in saying that it could be a serialization bug, I wonder if upgrading Unity might be what I need. Is there maybe a way to reserialize everything or regenerate all the script machines and state machines?

6. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Got no clue of how to proceed from here except do a new project where serialization is not messed up yet.

7. unity_nA5Zu0819mkC4Q

unity_nA5Zu0819mkC4Q

Many of the converted subgraph nodes in the script graph issue such warning messages.
    I recall this phenomenon occurring in past versions as well.
    Am I not using the subgraph correctly?

unity version 2022.2.1f1
    スクリーンショット 2023-03-04 220735.png

8. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

What do you mean by converted specifically? Did you upgrade from Bolt to Visual Scripting? If so, you might have to recreate your Subgraphs by copy pasting Bolt subgraph contents into a newly created identical UVS subgraph. This also was an issue when upgrading between early versions of Unity Visual Scripting, mainly due to them renaming stuff and auto upgrader failing to cover for that for one reason or another.

9. unity_nA5Zu0819mkC4Q

unity_nA5Zu0819mkC4Q

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    By converted subgraph, I mean that the subgraph node generated on the graph editor was converted from embedded to script graph when I saved it as an asset.

I have been using UVS from the beginning and have not imported Bolt.
    Also, the unity version has not been changed since the project was created.

10. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

This sounds like a serialization bug in the conversion process. Please report it via the Editor's bug reporting tool. https://unity.com/releases/editor/qa/bug-reporting

11. unity_nA5Zu0819mkC4Q

unity_nA5Zu0819mkC4Q

Thank you, understood.
    This warning is issued when a script graph containing subgraphs is saved or prefabricated as an asset.
    I assume this is due to the fact that the subgraphs are nested.

12. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Yea, once you get these warnings, they'll keep popping up in certain scenarios like domain reload. But the cause itself is most likely the conversion process.