Search Unity

Question Could not find UPM executable at path

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by asp9465, Sep 22, 2020.

1. asp9465

asp9465

macOS Catalina v10.15

First time installer
    - installed from link
    - dragged installer to applications
    - selected to install Visual Studio for Mac and Documentation modules
    - downloaded Karting Microgame
    - selected "Open Project"

edited* this same error occurs when selecting a new project

Received this error:

Could not find Unity Package Manager local server application at [/Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.4.10f1/Unity.app/Contents/Resources/PackageManager/Server/UnityPackageManager]. Missing files could be the result of an antivirus action or a corrupt Unity installation.

Ran diagnostic tool:
    Unity Package Manager Diagnostics (v0.1.8)
    ============
    Ran 7 checks
    ============
    6 succeeded
    1 did not run
    ============
    ✅ UPM registry reachable (PASS)
    Make an HTTP request to the UPM package registry
    >> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    >> X-Powered-By: Express
    >> Provider: Genesis
    >> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 17:01:44 GMT
    >> Connection: close

✅ Ping UPM registry (PASS)
    Measure the latency of the UPM package registry API
    >> 23 pings made in 5.131 seconds
    >> Average latency: 32.62 ms
    >> Minimum latency: 29.92 ms
    >> Maximum latency: 44.13 ms
    >> Standard deviation: 3.21

✅ Ping UPM download (PASS)
    Measure the latency of the UPM package download endpoint
    >> 20 pings made in 5.097 seconds
    >> Average latency: 7.21 ms
    >> Minimum latency: 4.89 ms
    >> Maximum latency: 13.08 ms
    >> Standard deviation: 2.02

✅ UPM registry download speed (PASS)
    Test the Internet connection using the UPM package registry
    >> Measured speed to the UPM registry: 405.85 Megabits per second

✅ Speedtest.net (PASS)
    Test the Internet connection using Speedtest.net
    >> Measured speed to the Speedtest.net server: 291.33 Megabits per second

✅ HTTP proxy environment variables (PASS)
    Detect whether proxy-related environment variables are set (HTTP_PROXY, HTTPS_PROXY, ALL_PROXY, NO_PROXY, UNITY_PROXYSERVER, UNITY_NOPROXY)
    >> No proxy support has been configured through environment variables.

❓ UPM health check (UNKNOWN)
    Start the UPM process and call its health endpoint
    >> Could not find UPM executable at path '/Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.4.10f1/Unity.app/Contents/Resources/PackageManager/Server/UnityPackageManager'

Have attempted a complete removal of all elements including ~Library and reinstalling. Still get the same error

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  2. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, sorry to see you are having this issue. As the error states, it seems you have an incomplete installation of Unity. This could be due to an antivirus or a corrupt installation. Can you try to uninstall again and install this time from the Unity Hub?

What version of Unity Hub are you using?

3. asp9465

asp9465

Unity Hub v2.4.0

I have attached some screenshots as I feel that I must be doing something incorrectly. At the end of the install, I get two instances of Unity and I'm guessing that's not what I should be getting. This was after a complete removal - again including ~/Library elements.

My guess is that I am making an error by not specifying a path for the Unity Editors Folder from the Unity Hub settings or the path definition of the project - or both.

Attached Files:

4. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

5. jiheh

jiheh

I'm on Mojave using Unity Hub 2.4.2, and I had this same issue when trying to install 2021.1.0b1 (Beta).

I had two instances of "Unity.app" and "Unity Bug Reporter.app" after the install in these two locations:
    - /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2021.1.0b1/
    - /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2021.1.0b1/Unity/

I found out the "Unity.app" inside the Unity subfolder did contain "Contents/Resources/PackageManager/Server/UnityPackageManager" while the other one did not, so I simply replaced the instances outside of the subfolder with the ones in the Unity folder, and everything worked!

Hope this helps someone else =]

6. twsbi

twsbi

broooooo……..
    you actually have the biggest brain in the world. it worked!!!!!!!!! thank you so much. I have to say you are one beast man I've been working on this unity download trash for so long and you have made my day

7. twsbi

twsbi

you have to tell the devs or somebody make a video I dont know but make sure other people know about this

kushmaniar and acid_p like this.
  8. deeprest

deeprest

Could not find UPM executable at path '/Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2020.3.2f1/Unity.app/Contents/Resources/PackageManager/Server/UnityPackageManager'

(Hopefully this helps search crawlers find this post, and jiheh's post above)

Thank you jiheh!

ghillermoX likes this.
  9. BjoUnity3d

BjoUnity3d

Same here. installing 2020.3.8f1 I opened my project and got that error. I found the 2 instances of Unity. Both appeared to have the package manager but the one in the Unity subfolder was over 6GB and the other one was only 4GB. So I moved the one from the subfolder up and overwrote the smaller Unity.app and now I can open the project. One thing though, the Unity Hub is missing the option to "Add Modules" to the installation. This will be a problem if I want to add other platform targets. So something is broken. I'm on Big Sur. I've already tried reinstalling.

kushmaniar likes this.
  10. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

Hello everybody, I'm sorry to see you are still experiencing this problem, if you could submit a bug so the Unity Hub team could take a look to what is causing this problem it will be awesome. Including as much information as possible, in particular the Unity Hub logs will be helpful for the team. Thanks in advance.

11. cuauhtemocescajeda

cuauhtemocescajeda

Having same issue.... I ran a dignose and it gave me this in the diagnose file, 5 tests passed, but one resulted as unknown :
    UPM health check (UNKNOWN)
    >> Could not find UPM executable at path 'C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2020.3.9f1\Editor\Data\Resources\PackageManager\Server\UnityPackageManager.exe'

12. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Please follow the process in the post above yours so we can take a look at this.

13. JensLiTH

JensLiTH

Just FYI, I had the same problem, with Unity 2020.3.12f1 (on macOS Big Sur 11.4) which I installed, uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted without success. Just like @jiheh and others (but on different versions), I had two copies of Unity.app, one of which was smaller. Unity Hub 2.4.3. Works after replacing the smaller version with the bigger, but this must be an error in the installer then.

14. nasos_333

nasos_333

I just tried install latest 2020.3.18f1 and get the error

""could not find unity package manager local service application""

This is crazy

EDIT: Diagnostic says only one error

UPM health check (UNKNOWN)
    >> Could not find UPM executable at path 'C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2020.3.18f1\Editor\Data\Resources\PackageManager\Server\UnityPackageManager.exe'

I check and there is no "server"" folder created in the PackageManager folder

15. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

The software is not working, can you please provide a direct download to this server files so we can work now and then we may submit a bug, which may take months to resolve.

We need to work today, not in few weeks or months, that is the issue with submit a bug report.

EDIT: I copied the server folder from the Unity 2019.4 installation, fingers crossed it works !!!

16. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @nasos_333 , I'm sorry you are having this issue. I would recommend you to uninstall the version of Unity where the problem is present and install again Unity, for some reason, the installation wasn't completed in your case, as you don't have the Package Manager server files as you mentioned in this thread. This could be a problem with the Hub: it is recommended not to close the Hub until the Unity installation is completed, not only the download of the Unity installed.

Another possibility is that your antivirus is removing/quarantining the files for some reason.

I see you are trying to work around this issue by copying files from one Unity installation folder Editor\Data\Resources\PackageManager into another version of Unity installed. Although this might work, this is not a good idea, you should let the Unity installer to take care of installing (which takes care of configuring some settings and rules in the computer) and copying the correct files. Different versions of Unity use different versions of the UnityPackageManager application.

If you still consistently can't solve this problem, while tying to uninstall and install Unity, some Package Manager files are still missing, please submit a bug with as much detail as possible (which Unity Hub version are you using, if this happens for all the Unity versions you are trying to install) and please share the case number so we can follow up on this.

Good luck!

17. henryolson1

henryolson1

Just logged in to bump this from 2022, if you're still on Catalina and were having the same issue like me, the fix mentioned above by jiheh worked.

18. codestage

codestage

Another bump from 2022.
    It's 2 years since this issue reported and still not fixed =\
    Got it reproduced with Hub 3.3.0 while installing 2020.3.41f1 LTS on Mac 12.6 (21G115) running in VM on my Win host PC.

Thanks @jiheh for the proper workaround.

19. ASN22_

ASN22_

you are so smart this worked perfectly thank you so much

20. UXER260

UXER260

f
    Yep, Works perfectly!

21. PaulSerious

PaulSerious

I experienced this on a iMac running Ventura 13.2.1.

I noticed there was running antivirus,
    • Uninstalling the broken Unity version (here 2022.3.10)
    • Disable antivirus
    • Reinstall Unity through Hub(3.5.2)
    This fixed the issue here.

I was getting this error, quite descriptive :)
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  Could not find Unity Package Manager local server application at [/Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2022.3.10f1/Unity.app/Contents/Resources/PackageManager/Server/Unity PackageManager].
    2. Missing files could be the result of an antivirus action or a corrupt Unity installation.

supita_unity likes this.
  22. jimlin9399

jimlin9399

thank you, Jiheh. It works!!!

Saba-Kananian likes this.
  23. unity_6X4sbcg8SeMyvw

unity_6X4sbcg8SeMyvw

I usually don't reply to forums, BUT THIS WORKS

24. rlrangeldelatejera

rlrangeldelatejera

You are very smart this fixed my issue, thank you !

25. KC-RS

KC-RS

Hey all,

I'm having the same issue and don't understand how to do what your saying above.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kyle,

Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 15.05.26.png Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 15.04.39.png

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024