Search Unity

Could "\My Games\" be more officially supported?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Zaflis, May 1, 2016.

1. Zaflis

Zaflis

I was reading the wiki on how to access the folder currently, and i got confused http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/Windows_Saved_Game_Directory

First of all, it states "C:\Users\Name\My Documents\My Games" is Windows XP specific and "C:\Users\Name\Saved Games" for Vista/later. This is wrong, we aren't here to follow Microsoft standars, but habits that players have gotten to like. "My Games" is THE folder to put saved games, mods, scores, any and all dynamic data about your game in the era of Windows 10 (and a little bit of 7 still).

Say you want to reinstall the windows with formatting, and take backups of everything important to you, including saved games. So you go and take copy of the documents folder, because that's where you expect them to be, along with most other documents you want to keep. "AppData" is a hidden system folder that most people don't even see, accessing it is not common at all, and that's where Application.persistentDataPath would take you.

So please go for player convenience on this one. Also not "My Documents\CompanyName\GameName\", it adds bloat to the documents folder itself. It is best for everyone when saves are organized well.