Search Unity

Could I make a living being an Indie Game Dev?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrSanfrinsisco, Sep 28, 2018.

1. sngdan

sngdan

Cross post (typing terribly slow on my mobile) - if you get the analytics you want from those sites - fair enough. What I would be interested in, if I where you, would be definitely how many different strategies people are using (if I remember that was a key differentiator- ie not only a clicker game strategy) - are people replaying levels to get a higher score or if they fail, etc...

2. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

That's basically the route I am going except I am focusing on building up a fanbase of paying customers from the start. Again for me this is a long-term strategy slowly making progress over time. Make a solid tiny game release it for a fair price market it and interact with the fans of the game. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. It's nothing I expect to happen within several months of effort & time. Quite likely will take years and that is fine.

Basically I need to do things in a way that works for me and my life and how I want to work. I definitely think making a string of completely free games is very good as well. That is how I was starting two years ago before life flipped upside down and I stopped it all. I completed & released 2 out of 5 free games. Life happened and I am just now returning to it exactly 2 years later. But now I am just starting out with paid games.

Sagex and sngdan like this.
  3. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

For me... personally... I am just one person doing this very part-time so I need to focus my efforts on the most important things especially in the beginning which is completing some solid tiny games and getting them out there and marketing them.

One day down the road sure I may well think of getting more data. I am staying away from the detailed aspects of it because previously in my last business with website I was obsessively analyzing all of the numbers and it really just becomes one more "black hole" that a person can get so caught up in they just waste time trying to understand everything.

So basically I view it like this is an older more experienced me than I was then and I am avoiding the pitfalls and so forth from that experience. I definitely have put a lot of thought into things and am aware there is more I could be doing but am just choosing not to do those things. At least not now.

For me this is the critical beginning phase when the #1 priority is to just build to achieve "lift off" so to speak. Lol So my effort and focus needs to be on completing solid games and getting them out there and letting people know about them. A couple of years from now it will be a different story. Different stage.

Plus ya know keep in mind I am same as the rest of the people who love making games just to make games... I would much prefer to just make games. I do like building a busness but I enjoy even more making games. This other stuff like marketing I will do because I have to.

sngdan likes this.
  4. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

LOL! I don't know why this thread turns to a focus personally on me and my first tiny paid game release other than I have done a lot of rambling here enjoying the discussion.

I just checked and it seems like the OP hasn't been around for 10 weeks now. I suppose they could be reading and not logging in. At any rate they will have a lot to read if they aren't lurking.

Basically I'm not that interesting and have strange views. :D All I am doing is making games & releasing them. Or at least that is what I hope to be doing. Haven't even released this first paid game yet!

Anyway.... I found something that is probably very interesting to a lot of folks... @zenGarden you might like this...

5. Antypodish

Antypodish

I wanted to point that while ago. But decided not to interrupt. The discussion mostly is between 2 of you guys. ;)
    And is near irrelevant to the original topic. Really should change the title. But anyway. Carry on. ;)

6. zenGarden

zenGarden

I agree sometimes we talk about very specific things, but the thread is open to anyone.

He is again switching to another game concept :rolleyes:
    I'm not sure he is able to stick to a game type and complete it LOL
    I prefered his fps VR infiltration prototype game.

7. Murgilod

Murgilod

Maybe the OP hasn't come back because his thread has been the zenGarden and GarBenjamin Variety Hour for months.

8. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

What's your strategy for your game? Are you planning on trying to build an audience while developing your game?

LOL! I think we have pretty much stuck to the topic. Sure we have veered off at times but get back on track sooner or later. As @zenGarden said anyone can certainly join in. Sometimes other people do. @neoshaman has had some great input I thought.

Has it really been months now? LMAO! Our show doesn't seem to have been running quite two months but yes I think I do need to cut back on forum.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  9. Antypodish

Antypodish

Your participation is sine October :)

GarBenjamin likes this.
  10. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Well yes I have participated in the thread since October. Isn't that the point of the threads? Lol

I was referring to the so called ZenGarden and GarBenjamin Variety Hour comment.

Anyway have tried to continually steer it back on the subject of the thread and overall we had some good discusssion I think.

11. zenGarden

zenGarden

LOL

The thread lost some interest i think, like many threads not active, we kept talking related and less related things.
    We will perhaps limit our participation in the thread and focus a bit more on our games.

Anyway, anyone is welcome and talk about "make a living as indie".

I think the OP understood the thread is also a waste of time and he focused on making his game instead ;)

GarBenjamin likes this.
  12. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Well I think we covered a lot of things. I thought at times it got sidetracked too much on choosing an art style for my games lol but ya know I also thought well that might be useful to someone and all of those styles you shared are probably helpful to people who will drift into this thread in months to come.

And yes I had hoped other people would share their views and strategy. I said numerous times in my posts this is how I see it and I can only go by personal experience and so forth.

But yeah apparently my quota was filled a while ago and the show has been canceled so let's call it done. :)

zenGarden likes this.
  13. zenGarden

zenGarden

Perhaps we should create new threads like "games art styles", or more specific "good tower defense games and their success", or "good advert and selling strategies" :D

About MinionArts game and his great graphics and code tutorials and work; i was suprised how fast he learned
    https://twitter.com/minionsart
    I didn't noticed it on Patreon but he was already working on game industry
    "I've been an artist in the game industry for a few years, but am now working on the action adventure game Astro Kat."
    He is really not new to game development or a noob LOL

Lot of experience helps a lot, i think this is the same for your tower defense game, as you make a new one you'll have better skills and make better ones.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  14. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I think you are addicted to this thread. lol

Also this person is an artist. That makes the big difference in such nice visuals. Some people are just better at things than others by nature they are more "wired" for it. I've been creating game art for decades now and for a long time I was really into making game art. I'm just not an artist but I have improved to the point where I am completely content. For you... I think maybe you NEED to get to where you can make fantastic art because you value that greatly.

Anyway you can start some threads on the stuff. Or just pm me on stuff as you wish. Sometimes I think it would be good to set up some kind of group for sort of like-minded folks where we can just chat about this stuff. I think although it can be a big distraction it is also good to not work in a complete vacuum. At same time to get into nitty gritty details of exactly what a person is testing and their results I know that is not something I would post on here. So again some kind of small number of members in a Mastermind group would be much better for such a thing. I think I might look for some folks down the road after I have a game or two released.

Alright I am signing off from this thread.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  15. zenGarden

zenGarden

As you are lol

That can be cool for small sessions, otherwise like this thread we'll be less productive posting instead of working on our games.
    Anyway i will also limit my participation in this thread :D

GarBenjamin likes this.
  16. zenGarden

zenGarden

17. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

That really is a very nice combo of interesting visuals for an interesting looking game.

Since I delayed my launch a little bit I have time to improve the game a bit more. Just finished a dev session focused on implementing that multiple color palettes feature I mentioned at some point.

This will go a long way for visuals in that a person can use the default color scheme or 6 different monochrome color choices or grayscale. I think any of these additional 7 choices particularly for this ultra low resolution creates a more pleasing aesthetic overall.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018