Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved Could be keep the Minimum API Level to Kitkat(API Level 19)

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by supersgf, Jun 27, 2021.

1. supersgf

supersgf

I noticed that the minimum supported Android Level from 2021.2-Beta has been upgraded(now its Lollipop API Level 21?). But I don’t know where you got the equipment occupancy data. But as far as I know, the current share of Android 4.4 devices in China is about 11%(data from https://mta.qq.com/mta/data/device/os). Between the world's population and economic development. I think the real percentage can only be higher than this value. Therefore, please consider keeping Unity 2021 and even Unity 2022 to ensure that the minimum compatibility level remains at Android 4.4. And in fact, an obvious phenomenon is that the development of the Android version has entered a slow period. Therefore, it is necessary to maintain low version support. Assuming that the global share of Android 4.4 is 10%, this will also be a large number of people. The number of this group of people may account for several hundred million.
    As software publishers, we should not ignore this large group of people. At the same time, please don't persuade: please use the old version. Because the new version is developed for human use, the popularity of the new version of Unity itself is not very high, and everyone’s enthusiasm for the new version is not high, so please don’t let device support become one of preventing people from using the new version of Unity. reason.

sorry for my bad english(its trans by google translator).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  2. ChrisFoulds-Unity

ChrisFoulds-Unity

Unity Technologies

Thank you for reaching out with your concerns.

Our internal investigations and analytics are not currently matching the significant numbers as shown in the link you have provided. Unity analytics are showing that some months usage on Android 4.4 is near zero percent usage.

We will continue to monitor the situation.

3. supersgf

supersgf

Thanks for the reply, the data comes from Tencent Group (a super company with gaming and social networking as its main business).
    In fact, I have guessed the result before the feedback.
    So I have marked this Thread and gave up continuing to feedback.

4. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

How much data do you get from within China?