Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games Cosmos - Space Survival Game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Skyfall106, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Skyfall106

Skyfall106

Cosmos - A Space Survival Game

Hey everyone! For the past few weeks, I've started work on a Space Survival Game. Here's the concept:

A player starts on a planet, similar to Earth, and progresses by building bases and farming materials, exploring ruins and remnants of some civilization. Once you get to a high enough level, you can start to build modular spaceships, and travel to other planets.

There are 5 Tiers of planets, with some tiers having multiple planets, each planet is different, such as a desert planet, forest planet and even a mechanical planet, full of machines and mechanical animals. Each has different ruins and animals, also different resources. Each planet also has different levels of radiation and oxygen, with radiation engulfing entire planets, sections of the planet or both.

Travel between planets happens as you level up and unlock new technologies for spaceships to survive in the different hostile environments of each planet.

There is a lore behind the game, which will be revealed when released. This includes some kind of barrier, not allowing you to exit the solar system where the planets are and a barrier not allowing you to exit the island which is the playable area on each planet.

The game is still in early development, but there are weekly updates which will be posted here and on our Twitter, follow them below to stay updated.

Here are some of the main screenshots of the game, there are more that will be posted throughout the forum, so read on to see more!

Screenshot 1: Early screenshot of a testing environment, with 3 consumable blocks, restoring thirst, hunger, and water.
    Screenshot.jpg

Screenshot 2:
    Screenshot of the temperate planet, where every player originally spawns. Planet.jpeg

If you have any suggestions make sure to post them here, any suggestions are accepted!

warthos3399 and Deleted User like this.
  2. Darrkbeast

Darrkbeast

Sounds cool, so for travel between planets, how will that play out. Will you build the ship and fly it to the planets or more of a cutscene. I know planetary physics can be a challenge. What about the building system, is it more premade structures or piece by piece.

Just some things I think about when making a survival game. I do like the concept. I kind of prefer a game like this with heavy focus on story and lore only because there are quite of few survival games where you just basically do the same thing, but not as many where you survive and have a deep story.

Anywho I wish you the best and look forward to your updates.

warthos3399 likes this.
  3. warthos3399

warthos3399

very cool :)

4. Skyfall106

Skyfall106

I'll break this into parts for you:

Travel Between Planets

When I was first testing the planetary thing, I made it on a massive scale, like the planets were 100'000's of units wide, that didn't work at all and outdid Unity's limit for scene size, then I realized it would be much smarter to make the objects small and have the camera move at a slow speed, providing an illusion.

When you first spawn into a server, you start off like most survival games, I'm sort of modelling it on a similar to Rust system because it is a very well made game and is also one of my favourites, a player will explore relics on the surface and build up a base but will level up in a similar way to Ark, and once a high enough level is reached the player can unlock spaceship parts, and start building modular spaceships to travel to other planets.

You will be able to have cool space battles and shoot down other ships and loot their wreckage for their loot, but the hard part is entering a planet, what I wanted was to be able to enter a planet by just flying up to it then entering it but it was too difficult to manage, so at least the way I'm going to do it, for now, is when the player gets close to the planet there is a countdown on screen, then the player enters the planet.

Building System

The building system will basically be exactly like Rust and Ark, build your base with parts like foundations, walls, doorframes, windows etc then place furniture inside your base such as storage, furnaces, etc.

That was a lot, and the game is going to have a very in-depth lore because good lore is awesome, Once I start working on the lore I will post some screenshots here.

Thanks.

warthos3399 likes this.
  5. Skyfall106

Skyfall106

Menu - Options

I've been working on the Menu that shows up when the game boots and that can be opened in-game. I've been working on a rough layout for the menu, most likely am going to change the whole thing but I got something down for testing.

I tested customizing the Image Effects section of the pause menu, so you can enable or disable Ambient Occlusion, Bloom, Depth of Field, Anti-Aliasing, Vignette, and Color Grading. The prost processing effects are still being worked on, so more will be added.

What's Next?
    The next thing im going to work on is customizing the graphics setting and then fill out the rest of the menus. After that, I will work on tooltips for the options to give users an idea of what each option does to the game.

Pause Menu.jpg

warthos3399 likes this.
  6. warthos3399

warthos3399

Good looking menu set-up, try this... its really a space/planet base game, try transparent/semi-transparent menu, might look good :)

Skyfall106 likes this.
  7. Skyfall106

Skyfall106

Ill give it a try ;)

warthos3399 likes this.
  8. Darrkbeast

Darrkbeast

Cool, thanks for breaking it down. I played rust myself, I prefer the older versions of rust but I see the things you want to take from it. I do like a building system like rust has, the new versions of that are well done I thought. I look forward to your progress.

Skyfall106 likes this.
  9. Skyfall106

Skyfall106

Inventory System

I've been working on the inventory system, currently the inventory isn't functional but as soon as it is I will showcase it with a quick demo video.

Basically, the player is able to store 36 items in their inventory, but can expand with a backpack (There will be maybe 3 backpack levels, each with a different capacity). The player can equip a helmet, and a balaclava for protection and warmth, up to a shirt, armour and a jacket, backpack, pants, (I forgot to add pant armour, that'll be in the next screenshot)
    shoes and gloves with a live preview, wont be there until I model a player.

There is also a favourites section where the player can favourite items for quick crafting. There is also a quick craft section so the player can quickly craft items with the current resources in their inventory

What's Next?
    The next thing to do is make the inventory functional with items, then I need to add the crafting menu. Stay tuned to see the updates.

Inventory.png

10. warthos3399

warthos3399

Hope your still working on this :)

11. Skyfall106

Skyfall106

I am, I was going to post the other day but I'm waiting a little bit longer to get some more content out, just came back from a holiday and am going to get back into the project soon.

I've been reworking one of my old projects, a piece of software, which is almost complete and will be done this week, once that's finished I will post some updates :)

I hope your project is going well as well.

warthos3399 likes this.