Search Unity

Corrupted data when using different Unity versions for the same project

Discussion in 'Cache Server' started by Peter77, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

With the old Cache Server, we constantly ran into the following issue and I wonder if that's still the case with the new technology and if a solution to this problem exists.

We use a build server, that builds the game with different Unity versions. We named those jobs "stable" and "experimental".

The stable job builds using what you now call Unity LTS. The experimental job builds uses the latest Unity beta version. When we added the experimental job to the build pipeline, it caused the Cache Server to serve corrupted assets to the stable build.

We observed corrupted assets multiple times and tried all sorts of things. Poked in the dark quite a bit until we found the issue disappears, if we turn off Cache Server usage for the experimental job. Once such corruption occurred, we always had to wipe the entire cache.

It seems, using different Unity version for the same project, which is stored in different folders though, is causing Cache Server not to differentiate between Unity versions when serving those cached assets.

It seems Cache Server was serving beta assets to the stable version, at the time serving Unity 5.5 assets to 5.4. Even though Unity premium support told us, that can't be the case, we observed using multiple Unity versions corrupts the cache.

Has this issue been addressed already?
    1. If it has not been addressed yet, is this issue in your internal bug tracker to be fixed eventually?
    2. Is there a workaround, to build the same project with different Unity versions, without screwing up asset caching?
    I wish I could submit a bug-report for this, but it obviously requires our infrastructure and caches in order to be reproduced. So that's not really possible.

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I'm very much interested if this has been fixed, because we're going to start a new project very soon and I would like to setup a stable and experimental build job, if this is no longer an issue with Cache Server 6.

If someone from Unity Technologies knows, that would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Is Unity Technolgies even monitoring this forum? :confused:

4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

6. SugoiDev

SugoiDev

Just chiming in to say we had the same issue. Ended up giving up on the cache server altogether because of this and other issues, so I'm not sure how it is right now.

Nubees and Peter77 like this.