Search Unity

Correctly monetizing implemented ads & physical address requirement (Google play store)

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by bluenotebook4, Feb 15, 2020.

1. bluenotebook4

bluenotebook4

Hello, I would like to ask few question regarding correct implementation and monetization of ads. I have my game published in Internal testing mode on Google Play store, i am using Unity ADs, in both code and dashboard Ads are currently selected as "test mode", everything seems to be working fine (Unity test ads are showing).

Before releasing the game publicly, besides changing test mode in both code and dashboard, what are the steps required for me to receive revenue from Google play store for shown ads? From my understanding i require to set up merchant account(this game contains only ads and nothing else, but i plan on releasing more apps that might include IAPs in the future).

Bonus question - as most of you(with published apps that are monetized) might know, google play store displays physical address of devs that offers monetized applications (Paid apps, apps with IAPs or ads, etc.), is physical address that they display is the one that you enter in Developer Account settings or the one that you enter when creating merchant account?

Extra bonus question(rhetorical if you may) - how come a significant amount of monetized apps(games) (that have ads/IAPs and are tagged with "Contains Ads" "Have in-app purchases", in their game details tab, have only very vague address descriptions that literally say only name of the country, or some have no address at all, yet these apps have six figure download numbers and/or have "Editor's Choice" marks, yet when creating merchant account you are required (cant bypass) to fill fields that ask for address, postal code etc.

2. kyle-unity

kyle-unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @bluenotebook4,

To receive revenue from ads shown in your game, you need to complete a payout profile on the Unity dashboard. We have a full guide on how to do this and other revenue and payment issues on our knowledge base:
    https://unityads.unity3d.com/help/resources/revenue-and-payment

Unfortunately, the specifics of your Google Play account settings are outside of my area of expertise, but I hope this helps :)

3. bluenotebook4

bluenotebook4

@kr-unity Thank you very much for your response. Information given in that link is useful and informative. Correct me if i am wrong but from what I understand, information that I fill up when creating Payout profile is private? One more question - once my Unity payout profile is created, do my earnings from playing ads through my game(-s) that are on Google Play Store, does revenue go through Google, to Unity and then to me? Sorry if i am phrasing this, its just a bit overwhelming to understand it all.

4. kyle-unity

kyle-unity

Unity Technologies

@bluenotebook4 No problem as I get that the way everything works together can be confusing at times.

You're correct that the Payout profile information is private, and revenue from Unity Ads is directly paid to you by Unity - it doesn't go through Google at all.

5. bluenotebook4

bluenotebook4

@kr-unity So all in all, correct me if i am wrong, after implementing Unity Ads into the game, I get paid directly by Unity because i am using Unity Ads (Unity's service) and all revenue is calculated directly by Unity, on the other hand IAPs/Paid apps (I understand that this might be not your field of expertise) are bought through Google(or whatever other platform), they get their cut and then they(Google in this case) pays me through their payment system(Merchant profile) which they describe as "To sell paid apps and in-app purchases on Google Play, you need to set up a profile in the Google payments center." (they dont say anything regarding Ads, unless you use their own Ad system(Admob if i am not mistaken).

Thank you very much for all this clarification!

6. kyle-unity

kyle-unity

Unity Technologies

That's my understanding, yes.

IAP and paid apps are situations where the revenue is coming directly from the users of an app, so Google has to act as a middleman in this case to handle the payment process. However, it's not necessary for Google to be involved for Ads revenue, as we can process that directly - we only need to track when users interact with ads.

7. bluenotebook4

bluenotebook4

That's all the information that I needed to know. Clear, simple and straight to the point. Thank you very much for quick and direct responses.

kyle-unity likes this.