Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Correct root bone for a non-humanoid model (Mech) ???

Discussion in 'Animation' started by msgamedev, Oct 16, 2017.

1. msgamedev

msgamedev

Back in Unity 3.5 I did some character rigging + animating. In those days the root was placed between the feet of a character at its origin.

How is it made today in particular for a non-humanoid character in this case a mech?

According to the unity docs the root bone is especially important for non-humanoid generic animations: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/GenericAnimations.html

Should the root bone still be placed between the feet or should the pelvis/lower torso bone be the root?

Attached Files:

fourthrones20 likes this.
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

To be honest - it doesnt matter. As a animator I prefer to place my root node at the center of mass location but having it at the base line 0 plane is perfectly fine also. Most older set ups needed this low position for grounding but this isnt the case anymore.
    I like the center of mass because it allows for more realistic full body motion for accrobatic and over the top animation creation.
    The importance of the root node in generic rig is mostly for locomotion and rotation rather than root position in Y location.
    When setting up root node this will become evident in the process/workflow.

3. msgamedev

msgamedev

thy very much. I was unsure about it. Better to know it beforehand rather than starting animating and runing in some possible troubles later.