Search Unity

Correct procedure to revert

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by VoidFish, Jan 19, 2017.

1. VoidFish

VoidFish

Hello. I made the mistake of installing Unity 5.5 (yes I know it is experimental)

I had created a backup BEFORE installing 5.5 What is the correct procedure to revert Unity? I have run into multiple crashes with 5.5 and realize it is still beta/alpha/unstable/not ready for production. I missed/didn't see where it was written that 5.5 is still in development.

When I try to install the correct (5.4) version of unity it errors/crashes. I have already uninstalled 5.5 (YES I understand it's beta and prone to crashes) but I do not know the correct reversion procedure.

I do understand if I reinstall Windows I will be able to resume development, but I was hoping there was a way to uninstall the beta/buggy version of unity(5.5) and reinstall the stable version (5.4) but every time I try it says ("This application is already installed")

My question is simply:

How do I FORCE install 5.4 and NOT 5.5.

I have tried:

Uninstalling ALL unity versions and installing the version at: https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download?thank-you=update&download_nid=44408&os=Win

Uninstalling ALL unity versions and installing https://store.unity.com/download/thank-you?thank-you=personal&os=win&nid=178

However every time I try it installs the BETA/CRASHY version, 5.5.

How do I install the stable version?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Unity 5.5 isn't experimental or anything else; it's a finalized release. Unity 5.6 is currently in beta. The way to install any version of Unity is to download the installer and run it as normal; nothing else is required and there is no special reversion procedure. For future reference, you can have multiple versions of Unity installed, so there is no need for re-installing anything; just keep the older version around until you're 100% sure you won't use it again. As for the crashing, test your hard drive and RAM to make sure they're not faulty. Also prevent virus scanning software from interfering with Unity.

--Eric