Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

CoreText Warnings

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by kromenak, Nov 12, 2021.

1. kromenak

kromenak

I recently updated a project from 2019.4.5 to 2019.4.32. After updating, I see a lot of log spam when running my Xcode project (repeated dozens of times with different font names):
    So, I set a breakpoint and got the attached callstack. It appears that this warning is emanating from Unity code related to generating meshes for text, via TextGenerator, when it is reading OS fonts.

As far as I can tell, the in-game text looks OK, but I was wondering whether this is a known issue, whether it is benign, or if it arises from some sort of misconfiguration of my project? If it's possible to fix, that'd be great, but if it's a known issue, I'll just ignore it!

Attached Files:

2. Neonlyte

Neonlyte

3. kromenak

kromenak

That was the link I originally found related to this problem, which helped me set a breakpoint to see that the issue is occurring in Unity's TextGenerator code. I may be missing something, but I don't understand how the info at that link would help fix the issue in Unity.

I guess I'm curious if this is a general Unity issue that a lot of people are seeing, or if it's something that is only occurring because of a particular way my project is configured? Has anyone else encountered this and found a way to alleviate it?

4. Studio93

Studio93

I am getting this too. Have you found a solution?

5. embraceware

embraceware

I'm getting the same log spam when I use a GUI.Label. I'm using a GUI.Label to display a debug FPS counter. I don't have a font specified, so I assume it's an internal reference Unity is doing. Has anyone found a solution?

6. pKallv

pKallv

Any progression on this?

7. Wula

Wula

Hi @kromenak, have you found a solution?

8. robertas-unity

robertas-unity

QA Minion Unity Technologies

Hi! Thanks for the reports everyone!

We've been able to reproduce this in-house and passed it along to our development team for a fix.

Here's an IssueTracker link if you want to follow the progress (may not be immediately available, will be generated in a bit).

9. jeremyfryc

jeremyfryc

Hello, thanks for sharing this bug. I'm experiencing the same issue as well. The log is getting spammed on the second scene in my game which makes use of the Adventure Creator asset (which uses Unity GUI). This is the error for my game:

2022-01-31 14:34:18.697731-0500 DexterStardust[3323:1532177] CoreText note: Client requested name ".SFUI-CompressedSemiboldG2", it will get TimesNewRomanPSMT rather than the intended font. All system UI font access should be through proper APIs such as CTFontCreateUIFontForLanguage() or +[UIFont systemFontOfSize:].

I get hundreds of these and it takes about a minute to load that first scene. After that, the game runs fine. But this is not something I can ship, for sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!