Search Unity

Core GameKit! Pooling / Spawning / Combat

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jerotas, Jan 27, 2013.

1. jerotas

jerotas

V 3.2.8.5 changelog:
    • Added Global Wave Paused event to LevelSettingsListener and the Playmaker Listener.
    • Added a check inside PoolBoss.Spawn to see if the pool exists or not, and log something if not. If you are using the multi-frame pool creator option, this will be very useful.
    • Updated Inspectors to look good in Unity 2019.3 - Unity made it unreadable with their changes.

2. lolaswift

lolaswift

Hi, any plan to add a Save/Load system? Any plan to add integration of Emerald AI?
    How to do ragdoll with the killable?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  3. jerotas

jerotas

Load and save generally not needed as World Variables can persist. If you need something further, buy a product like EasySave.
    As far as "integration" with AI packages, it's not needed. You can use any AI with Core GameKit and it doesn't conflict with any of our code. Just make sure to initialize the AI in OnSpawned instead of Awake / OnStart code.
    Ragdoll I know nothing about, so can't really answer that question. Most things "just work" if you add them in - is there a particular reason you're asking that question?

4. chrisk

chrisk

Hi, 2019.3 release is around the corner and I'm wondering if you figured out the problems with the Fast-Enter-To-Play mode. I'll appreciate if you can give us an update. Thanks.

5. jerotas

jerotas

I have not had time to look into that yet. I have been spending the past few weeks to get addressables support working for master audio. Besides addressable this is the next most important feature we are looking at.

6. chrisk

chrisk

Great, I'm also working on converting my project into Addressable as well. I'll look forward to it.
    Cheers!

jerotas likes this.
  7. jerotas

jerotas

Core GameKit and Master Audio are currently 20% off for a limited time!

8. jerotas

jerotas

V 3.2.8.6 is released! Master Audio integration is here! Changelog:
    • Fixed Global Wave Paused event on LevelSettingsListener and the Playmaker Listener, added Level Started event and Wave Elimination Bonuses Started events as well.
    • Fixed: Can now delete World Variables that are part of the prefab on Unity 2018.2+;
    • Fixed bug: Incremental Offset wasn't functioning like an incremental offset in Killable Death Prefab.
    • Added support for experimental Fast Play Mode in Unity 2019.3 - it works by default it you turn on Fast Play Mode on the Unity menu as shown on this page: https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/11/05/enter-play-mode-faster-in-unity-2019-3/
    • Added Random Offset X/Y/Z for Killable Death Prefabs. Works like Random Distance in Syncro Spawners.
    • Added welcome window where you need to enable 2D and 3D support if you have those packages installed. It will pop up automatically when you download the update. Now you will be able to work with CGK without requiring both Physics2D and Physics packages installed. You will need to enable 2D and 3D features on the Welcome Window if you have those packages installed.
    • Added optional support for Master Audio (check the Master Audio checkbox on the Welcome Window) to add Play Sound events for Killable: Invincible Hit Sound, Deal Damage Sound, Damage Prefab Sound, Knockback Sound, Vanish Sound, Death Sound, Respawn Sound.
    • Added Play Sound options for Master Audio for Level Settings: Initialized Sound, Win Sound, Lose Sound, Level Started Sound, Level Ended Sound, Wave Skipped Sound.
    • Added Play Sound options for World Variable: Value Changed Sound.
    • Added Play Sound options for Syncro Spawner: Item Spawned Sound, Item Failed To Spawn Sound, Wave Finished Spawning Sound, Wave Start Sound, Elim. Wave Completed Sound, Wave Repeat Sound.
    • Added Play Sound options for Triggered Spawner V2: Item Spawned Sound, Item Failed To Spawn Sound, Wave Finished Spawning Sound, Wave Start Sound, Elim. Wave Completed Sound, Wave Repeat Sound, Spawner Despawning Sound, Spawn Sound, Despawn Sound.

9. jerotas

jerotas

V 3.2.8.7 changelog - I apologize if anyone already downloaded the previous version. Please grab this one instead. The bug is a big one.
    • Fixed bug with spawning non-rigidbody death prefab. It would spawn a bunch due to bug.
    • Added MaxValue, EndGameMinValue, EndGameMaxValue properties to InGameWorldVariable.

hopeful likes this.
  10. jerotas

jerotas

V 3.2.8.8 changelog. NOW SUPPORTS ADDRESSABLES!
    • Added Addressable support for all prefabs (turn it on from the Welcome Window).
    • Are now able to select prefabs or Addressables from dropdowns instead of having to drag, if already set up in Pool Boss.
    • Moved Show Welcome Window preference to scriptable asset so it's only for current project, not all.
    • There's no longer a cap of 100 on the Initialize Time (Frames) field in Pool Boss. It can be as high as the number of prefabs.
    • Fixed: bug where Triggered Spawner wave pause behavior would pause when not using Global Waves.

mimminito and hopeful like this.
  11. mimminito

mimminito

Woooooo!!! Thanks for the update

jerotas likes this.
  12. jerotas

jerotas

V 3.2.8.9 changelog:
    • Fixed Wave Completion % so it rounds up or down instead of always down.
    • Bug fixed: If Wave Completion % is less than 100% bonus prefab still works.
    • Bug fixed: Bonus prefab for Global Waves on LevelSettings wouldn't tell you if the prefab wasn't in Pool Boss.
    • Namespaced all editor scripts & example Scene scripts so that they don't show up in Intelli-sense.
    • Fixed link to docs website on Welcome window, hosting changed.
    • Fixed non-compiling Master Audio integration bug.

13. jerotas

jerotas

V 3.2.9.0 changelog, Mini Pool Boss has arrived!
    • Removed last update to Playmaker Custom Actions in 3.2.8.9. Adding namespaces breaks existing users. Now removed.
    • Fixed constantly saving prefab mode inspector for Pool Boss and LevelSettings in Unity 2019.3
    • Fixed previewing waves in Unity 2018.2+ when you accidentally put preview children in the prefab.
    • Fixed Master Audio integration. It didn't compile.
    • Fixed broken Bonus Prefab and Prefab selection on both spawner types for Addressables.
    • Fixed broken Addressable spawn in both spawner types and Killable.
    • Fixed bug where SpawnTracker would log an error to Console when you stopped playing, in Unity 2019.4.
    • Added "Items Created" Custom Events to Pool Boss that you can fire when it's done starting up.
    • Added method you can call on Pool Boss to destroy all items and release Addressable memory prior to letting the Game Object get destroyed when changing Scenes: PoolBoss.DestroyAllItemsAndReleaseMemory
    • Added "Create Items On Start" checkbox for Pool Boss. Default is checked. If you uncheck it, you must call PoolBoss.Initialize when you want to create all the pool items.
    • Added "Pool Mini-Boss" prefab, which is like a mini Pool Boss. It is used to create temporary pool items in Pool Boss. They are created when the game object is enabled, and removed when it is disabled. It supports Addressables and will automatically release Addressable memory when it's disabled or destroyed.
    • Changed max limit on Init Time (frames) in Pool Boss to be 1000. No longer capped at the number of pool items you have.

14. P3ndragonLLC

P3ndragonLLC

Hello, does the spawner require terrain or can it spawn in the air or on meshes?

15. jerotas

jerotas

It can spawn anywhere. There's nothing terrain-specific as I'm no terrain expert. It spawns either based on time intervals or MonoBehaviour events like collisions / triggers / visible etc.

P3ndragonLLC likes this.
  16. P3ndragonLLC

P3ndragonLLC

Great, can you give me an idea of what the Behavior Designer integration provides, like can BD assign what to spawn in waves?

17. jerotas

jerotas

It would be better if you contacted Opsive, the BD author about that. He wrote all the integration and simply sent me the package. I am not a Behavior Designer user. But I think the answer to that specific question is no.

In general, the other integration plugin authors copied what was written for Playmaker integration, which are listed here: http://www.dtdevtools.com/docs/coregamekit/IncludedIntegrations.htm

P3ndragonLLC likes this.
  18. P3ndragonLLC

P3ndragonLLC

Sounds good, I see what you mean about the playmaker options, those would be useful for integration.

For spawning, can the spawn points be put on moving surfaces like conveyor belts?

19. jerotas

jerotas

Sure, if you place your spawner close to there. you could also use gravity rigidbodies to have them drop onto the belts from above.

P3ndragonLLC likes this.
  20. dKaiser20

dKaiser20

Hello, I'd like to ask for help. I have this game that after the wave has ended I enabled PAUSE GLOBAL WAVE, while it is enabled I have this screen that can grant a buff if they watch an advertisement. The problem here is that after watching an ad as I continue to play by unpausing the game(CGK). My sync spawners will not spawn immediately, instead it will wait approximately the time the ad was watched. I believe this is because Unity will pause the game while an ad is playing and I know that this is due to

UnpauseWave()
    _wavePausedTime = Time.realtimeSinceStartup - _lastWavePauseTime;

I'm just a beginner and I'm afraid to change the LevelSettings.cs and to be honest I don't know how to change the code to make it as I want to (which is, after watching an ad and unpausing the game the spawner will spawn as it is). I've tried a lot of things to solve this but can't really help myself so I ask for your guidance. Thank you.

21. jerotas

jerotas

In that case try not pausing the global wave? I remember ads will just pause the game automatically in the past.

22. dKaiser20

dKaiser20

I've already tried that one but sadly if I will not pause the global wave the next wave will continue and will still spawn while doing some other stuff.
    also, because of using time.realtimesincestartup as I unpause the game the spawner will have a delay of spawning (because unity had paused the game while the ad is playing).

23. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

would there be any way to spawn the ad event so that completion of the ad is a condition for ending/beginning a wave?

24. jerotas

jerotas

There's only "wave active criteria" which may end up skipping over a wave, so that's not a good way to go. There's no functionality for "custom end wave" stuff.

I will try and take a look at this in the next couple days and report back. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  25. jerotas

jerotas

I don't understand why this happens actually. I don't have an ad to test unless you send me some kind of example scene. Now I thought that realtimeSinceStartup continues to run even when "paused". If you can't send me an example scene, can you log Time.realtimeSinceStartup to the Console during PauseWave and UnpauseWave and let me know what they are? Also let me know how long actually elapsed while watching the ad.

26. dKaiser20

dKaiser20

Hello, I 'll try my best to show all the necessary details for this problem.
    Wave details(Timed, 30 sec duration every wave)
    #Every after wave the game will be paused using PAUSE GLOBAL WAVE
    #Then in my public override waveEnded, I will show a UI which has an option to upgrade one of which is to watch an ad
    that leads me to these scenarios;
    #1 - after watching an ad, I have a continue button that closes the UI and LevelSettings.UNPAUSEWAVE then to the next wave
    #1.1- The result is there is a delay of spawning after >=8 sec. (8 sec is the time of unity's test ad).

#2- after watching an ad , instead of using LevelSettings.UNPAUSEWAVE I used RESTARTWAVE to continue.
    #2.1 - The result is, there was no delay of spawning but my timer was starting from the time (30 sec - (time that I watched the ad + the time in sec since i unpaused the wave). Like if I wait more than 30sec before continuing, as I hit the continue button I already finished the next wave.

This is the record using my editor and that's without watching an ad. I believe this will not give you some hint because in the unity editor when watching an ad the timescale is still 1. while in a device the timescale will be 0.

Time.realtimeSinceStartup after wave #1 PAUSED 43.37402
    Time.realtimeSinceStartup to start wave #2 UNPAUSED 57.99138

Hope this helps and thank you for taking some time in looking into this.

27. jerotas

jerotas

Thanks.

So this is what's confusing. I'm using Time.realtimeSinceStartup because it's not affected by timescale. It says so right on this page: https://docs.unity3d.com/540/Documentation/ScriptReference/Time-realtimeSinceStartup.html

It would have no effect unless something else weird is going on.

Now why are you calling RestartWave instead of UnpauseWave. Maybe that's the problem and where the bug lies?

I will need you to log those same things *with* an ad to see it gives me any clue.

28. dKaiser20

dKaiser20

#1- Time.realtimeSinceStartup It's suppose to not get affected by timescale. yes but why is it that it has a delay in spawning?
    #2- I TRIED RestartWave because UnpauseWave is not working.
    #3- I cannot give you a log because when you watch an ad in unity editor the timescale is not = 0. while in mobile device when you watch an ad the timescale will be = 0.

so to make things easier for you and me, I should have sent you my scene so there will be no more confusion. Again, Thank you for taking time in solving this. I really think that it's in the code somewhere in LevelSettings that delays the spawning.

29. jerotas

jerotas

I think the code and logic is correct, except that something weird happens on a device when the ad runs which I haven't accounted for.

If you could log #3 when running on the device, it might help me to figure it out.

If you're saying it can't be reproduced in the Editor, then I'm not sure how sending me an example Scene will help. I'm not going to be able to run it on device unless it's PC or something. What platform is it?

30. dKaiser20

dKaiser20

it's on android. Anyway I have an idea. How about in the editor I will use timescale = 0. while watching an ad, that way it will imitate what a mobile device do in the editor.

31. jerotas

jerotas

Sure, I don't think it will work to cause a bug though.

32. jerotas

jerotas

Actually yes. I misread that. Way to think out of the box!
    So you could have an actual "ad wave" as an elimination wave where you spawn something invisible (no renderer), then launch the ad. When the ad is closed, just despawn the invisible spawn and it will advance to the next wave. No need to pause waves or unpause.

Sweet!

33. dKaiser20

dKaiser20

Thanks a lot for this. It finally worked.

jerotas likes this.
  34. jerotas

jerotas

V 3.2.9.1 changes:
    • Fixed bug: Pool Boss Categories imported into Pool Mini-Boss were attempted to be deleted by default.
    • Fixed bug: SpawnWithFollow method in Pool Boss didn't work properly.
    • Fixed bug: False warning was logged when you use different Pool Bosses in different Scenes.
    • Fixed bug: Addressables package broke its usage so code has been modified to work with the latest version.
    • Fixed bug: Listener for LevelSettings would have "Lose" fire even if you won.
    • Added asmdef files for Core GameKit and a separate one if you have both Core GameKit and Master Audio in your project, should you need them. Install the package from the Assets/Plugins/DarkTonic/CoreGameKit/AssemblyDefinitions folder.

hopeful likes this.
  35. hoyoyo80

hoyoyo80

Hi all, excited upon purchasing since doing pool using playmaker kinda tedious. but i get compile error with these logs:

These are just some and im using unity 2020.1.12f.Kindly help me

Assets\Plugins\DarkTonic\CoreGameKit\Scripts\Combat\Killable.cs(6,20): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'AddressableAssets' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Assets\Plugins\DarkTonic\CoreGameKit\Scripts\Combat\Killable.cs(9,18): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'MasterAudio' does not exist in the namespace 'DarkTonic' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Assets\Plugins\DarkTonic\CoreGameKit\Scripts\Combat\KillableDeathPrefab.cs(4,20): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'AddressableAssets' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Assets\Plugins\DarkTonic\CoreGameKit\Scripts\Level\LevelWave.cs(6,23): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'AddressableAssets' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Assets\Plugins\DarkTonic\CoreGameKit\Scripts\PoolBoss\PoolAddressableOptimizer.cs(6,19): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'AddressableAssets' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

36. jerotas

jerotas

If you're getting that error, that means you checked "Addressables" support checkbox on the Welcome Window: http://www.dtdevtools.com/docs/coregamekit/WelcomeWindow.htm

But you don't have the Unity package for Addressables installed. So you'll need to open that Welcome Window back up and uncheck "Addressables". Or you can install the Addressables package from Unity.

37. hoyoyo80

hoyoyo80

I guess im screwed, i cant get back the welcome windows.Any solution?But yeah, lucky it is on a test project.

38. jerotas

jerotas

Once you can compile, you'll get the Welcome Window back. So go ahead and install the Addressables package from Package Manager. Then you can disable Addressables integration if you don't need it, and then uninstall Addressables package.

39. jerotas

jerotas

V 3.2.9.2 changelog:
    • Fixed label for field in Timed Despawner. Was mislabeled as "Start Timer On Awake". Changed it to "Start Timer On Spawn".
    • Fixed endless reloading in Project View in Unity 2019+.
    • Changed DeathVelocityMode of "Destroy" to "Die". Destroy is confusing because it will despawn not be destroyed (game object).
    • Changed EventReceivedBehavior of "Destroy" to "Die". Destroy is confusing because it will despawn not be destroyed (game object).
    • Changed WaveRestartBehavior of "Destroy Spawned" to "Kill Spawned". Destroy is confusing because it will despawn not be destroyed (game object).
    • Changed WaveRestartBehavior of "End Early When All Destroyed" to "End Early When All Killed". Destroy is confusing because it will despawn not be destroyed (game object).
    • Changed Killable's "If Spawner Destroyed" to "If Spawner Killed". Destroy is confusing because it will despawn not be destroyed (game object).
    • Changed Killable's "If Parent Destroyed" to "If Parent Killed". Destroy is confusing because it will despawn not be destroyed (game object).
    • Added experimental code to PoolBoss to integrate with Normcore.io. You enable it by uncommenting the #define NORMCORE_NETWORK at top of PoolBoss.cs

40. Dreamcube017

Dreamcube017

Hello again!

This may be a simple answer but can't figure it out. xD I am still working on that multiple choice word unscrambling game I mentioned in the Pooboss thread and thigns are going quite smooth.

My only issue is that I don't think I understand how Listeners work with PlayMaker. I got the Lose one to work, but how do I restart the game?

I tried just creating a state in PlayMaker that resets everything and respawns the wave, but I just get an error that says the game is over for Core Gamekit. So how do I restart it? Do I use a Game Started listener from the PlayMaker Listener component or maybe Restart Wave? I see in the inspector where I point to the state machines themsevles, but I can't figure out how how to tell PlayMaker to trigger them. I know some are based on reaching a certain amount of hit points, but not sure about all of them.

Thanks!

41. jerotas

jerotas

You call LevelSettings.RestartGame. You can use the Playmaker Custom Action that calls static methods to do that, we haven't included one. Restarting a wave won't get rid of "Game Over status".

42. Dreamcube017

Dreamcube017

Hi, sorry for the delay. AH okay so I'll have to write my own action with that method in there then. Alright. Thank you for the quick reply.

I decided to just force a level restart for the time being. xD Thanks again!

43. jerotas

jerotas

You don't have to write an action. Playmaker comes with an action that can call any static method. I don't recall the name but you can ask on the Playmaker forum.

44. Dreamcube017

Dreamcube017

Oh! Wow I just looked it up! "Call Static Method" is the name of it. Thanks!

45. jerotas

jerotas

No problem. And that's the reason we haven't written a lot of Custom Actions is because you can get to them natively with Playmaker :)

46. trojant

trojant

(1) Hi, can I randomly generate objects with different scaling sizes in the pool? For example, each object is randomly scaled from 0.5 to 1, which is a different object size. thank you.

(2) I used triggered spawner 2 script. I want to generate an object when on enable, and then destroy the object when on disable. Through enable and disable, I can easily repeat spawning at any time. What should I do? Or is there an easier way? thank you.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  47. jerotas

jerotas

#1, there is no random option, but there may be a way to do that through custom code. Are you talking about Triggered Spawners or Syncro Spawners?

#2, sure use a triggered spawner with Enable event to spawn whatever. You don't need to set up any Disable event on the Triggered Spawner. If you are spawning a Killable, you can tell it to die when its spawner dies. Open the Killable's Inspector, and go down to the Despawn & Death Triggers section and expand it. The top control says "If Spawner Killed?", and choose either Despawn or Die there.

48. trojant

trojant

#1 it's Triggered Spawners.I want to generate birds of different sizes, but Gameobject random scale of The same bird affects the pool performance, right?

#2 iIt's settled, thank you very much.

49. jerotas

jerotas

Ok, for #1, you will need to make a subclass of TriggeredSpawnerListener and add your code to the following method.
    Code (csharp):
    2. /// <summary>
    3. /// This method gets called immediately after a wave item spawns.
    4. /// </summary>
    5. /// <param name="eType">The event type.</param>
    6. /// <param name="spawnedTrans">The spawned item.</param>
    7. public virtual void ItemSpawned(TriggeredSpawner.EventType eType, Transform spawnedTrans) {
    8.    // do something to the Transform.
    9. }
    For an explanation of how to use Listeners, you can read the page here:
    https://www.dtdevtools.com/docs/coregamekit/Listeners.htm

50. Dreamcube017

Dreamcube017

EDIT: I got it to work by making the type a float. However, Restart Game doesn't seem to work. Even when I click it in the Inspector, nothing happens. However, Continue Game seems to work well so I am using that instead. I suppose this issue is solved, but I'll leave this here incase anyone else needs it.

Hello again! So I thought I had it, but for some reason, it returns with null?

upload_2021-5-4_22-3-29.png

Did I do this correctly? On the API page of Core Game Kit, it says to use Dark tonic.CoreGameKit.LevelSettings.RestartGame (). Did I miss something?

Was there something else in the gamekit settings I had to do? It still says the state is game over.

Thanks again!

Last edited: May 5, 2021