Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Core GameKit! Pooling / Spawning / Combat

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jerotas, Jan 27, 2013.

1. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

thank you for the fix on the poolmanager issue... (didn't try yet, will try tomorrow)

yes when you can, email me the 4.0 version please

thanks for the quick turnaround

2. daisySa

daisySa

I just realised I never answered this request. For me, that's easy:

1. Being able to fade the music at the end of a battle (rather than it stopping abruptly); and

2. Being able to control the start of a wave via an event (e.g. OnBecameVisible would be perfect, if it means that the spawn will only trigger when the player character is within sight of a spawner).

3. jerotas

jerotas

Just emailed :) Now the 4.0 code is all in one place (commended out) so people can easily switch it out.

4. jerotas

jerotas

Coincidentally, that is what I'm working on for the next version. And thinking about some more things as well.

5. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

Hey all Killer Waves users - we want to see what you're creating with Killer Waves and help you promote your projects on our website and social media!

Just drop us a line at imadethis@darktonic.com and we'll help you spread the word about the awesome stuff you're making.

Be sure to include the following:
    ★ The name of the project/game
    ★ 1-2 screenshots at least 640x480
    ★ A brief description of the project
    ★ How you used Killer Waves
    ★ Links to more information about you/your project if available

We will post your project details up on darktonic.com, and promote it on our Facebook page, Twitter, Google+, and future marketing materials.

Exposure and marketing are arguably the hardest things for indie developers, so let us help you!

Dark Tonic Dev Tools for Unity - Make something KILLER.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  6. jerotas

jerotas

Killer Waves V1.4 is coming very soon! The code is all done, now I just need to update the documentation and make a cool example scene to show off all the new stuff. Here's an idea of the new features.

1) Added "is enabled" checkbox for spawners.
    2) Added "Game Over Music" section at top of Level Settings. Your existing music settings will probably be lost, please check them after updating to this version.
    3) New "silence" option for music waves.
    4) Added "Music Fade Time" for Silence music mode to fade previous music out over time automatically.
    5) Fixed bug where the same prefab would be spawned for each item in the same frame, even in a prefab pool.
    6) Added new triggered spawner script to trigger waves from any prefab during collision, trigger, becameVisible, becameInvisible, spawn, despawn, mouse click, onSpawned and onDespawned events! This will allow you to make no-code explosion prefabs, enemies that spawn more enemies, enemies that spawn waves of projectiles, prefabs that spawn waves of things when destroyed, spawners that only spawn after they've scrolled onto the screen and a lot more. Very flexible. These are not hooked into the global Level Waves at all.
    7) Collision and Trigger events have an optional layer filter and tag filter fields so you can trigger things only between certain layers and tags.
    8) "Despawn prefab" checkbox for certain events such as Collision trigger so you don't have to code that.

Rock on and keep the feedback coming! I have a lot of good suggestions from you guys so far both through email and in this thread and I will get to a lot of it in the next few versions.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  7. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

that is a nice list of new features, was really feeling the need for the spawning/control of waves (triggers)

been away from my computer for a short while, can't wait to get back to it and implement 1.4

8. daisySa

daisySa

Fantastic! Thanks guys, that's an excellent update, will be downloading it shortly...

9. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

10. jerotas

jerotas

Spawnception (ahem I mean Killer Waves V1.4) has been submitted to the Asset Store. The more I add on to this plugin, the more I think of that I still want to add. I'm starting to get a rather long feature backlog, and I intend to build all of it, which is good for you! Especially if you purchase while it's less expensive (now). The price will be going up to $30 for the new version.

I will put up a video later this week to show off the Triggered Spawners and Despawners. They are super useful and cake to use. Some genres of games could probably get away using only the new triggered stuff and not the global level waves. Good to have both of course!

By the way, I ended up adding 3 different Despawner scripts, one is the "triggered" counterpart of the Triggered Spawner new feature.

If you like, you can already download the updated documentation to check out while you're waiting here.

Rock on.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  11. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

12. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

The video for the new 1.4 features will be coming next week, and will be added to our Unity 3D plugins video page.

In the meantime, to recap, here are the updates in 1.4:

1) Added "is enabled" checkbox for spawners. (makes testing / iteration extra fast)
    2) Added "Game Over Music" section at top of Level Settings. Your existing music settings will probably be lost, please check them after updating to this version.
    3) New "silence" option for music waves.
    4) Added "Music Fade Time" for Silence music mode to fade previous music out over time automatically.
    5) Fixed bug where the same prefab would be spawned for each item in the same frame, even in a prefab pool.
    6) Added new triggered spawner script to trigger waves from any prefab during collision, trigger, becameVisible, becameInvisible, spawn, despawn, mouse click, onSpawned and onDespawned events! This will allow you to make no-code explosion prefabs, enemies that spawn more enemies, enemies that spawn waves of projectiles, prefabs that spawn waves of things when destroyed, spawners that only spawn after they've scrolled onto the screen and a lot more. Very flexible. These are not hooked into the global Level Waves at all.
    7) Collision and Trigger events have an optional layer filter and tag filter fields so you can trigger things only between certain layers and tags.
    8) "Despawn prefab" checkbox for certain events such as Collision trigger so you don't have to code that.
    9) 3 new Despawner scripts, one is the "triggered" counterpart of the Triggered Spawner new feature.

:D

We're also talking about full Playmaker integration. Let us know if that's something interesting to you, so we know where to prioritize the next update!

13. jerotas

jerotas

The new V1.4 video is up in the OP. Here it is as well:

By the way, we were just notified that Killer Waves will be featured in the 50% off Asset Store sale on Feb 27th, so if you want to get in at a great price, try to buy it then. I believe that's a 24-hour only sale.

-Brian

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  14. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

Just waiting for the sale price to kick in! Should happen sometime around midnight PST.

The demo vids show some shoot 'em ups in action, but that's not all Killer Waves is good for. It's also massively useful for tower defense, platformers, first person shooters, procedural games, RTS, MMO, roguelike, music/rhythm, twin stick shooters, special effects, basically whatever you're making.

Every project needs to spawn "stuff". Killer Waves just makes it as fast and easy as possible to set up and modify.

15. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

50% off, get some now! 24 hour sale, today only.

Just $15 buys you the BEST spawn system tool on the asset store.

16. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

just wanted to say hi to our many new Killer Waves users from yesterday's sale!

Let us know if you run into any issues or would like to see some new functionality, and don't forget to post up the killer stuff you create!

17. John-Sandrey

John-Sandrey

When I make a web build I get this error,
    Assets/KillerWaves/Scripts/Level/LevelSettings.cs(2,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UnityEditor' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

If I comment out ""using UnityEditor;"" in the LevelSettings.cs script it will compile and make a game for a web player. Do I Need that line of code or is there a quick fix for it?

18. jerotas

jerotas

Hi John, thank you for the heads up. I will take a look at that tonight. Hopefully it's an easy fix. Will update here after I've spent a few on it. If you could comment that line out and let me know if everything exports and works kosher, I'd appreciate it.

19. John-Sandrey

John-Sandrey

Hmmm I get the same error on android, IOS, and pc builds also. Just so you know, I am using Unity 3.57 and on a Mac computer. I don't think the computer makes a difference. And I get this error right out of the box with only Killer waves installed.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  20. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

Thanks, John. I've duplicated the error with web player export on 3.5.7 PC export.

We'll get this sorted, thanks.

21. jerotas

jerotas

John, thanks for letting us know about this. Next time I will do a test export game to make sure I didn't leave anything like this in it. To fix the export problem, simply remove the "using UnityEditor" line at the top of LevelSettings.cs

That works while playing in the editor but fails on export. The next build will have this fix.

22. jerotas

jerotas

Ok, I have submitted a hotfix for the issue John reported. Should be live in about a week or less. Also it comes with one other addition I added from a user request:

- Added "spawn order" dropdown modes for prefab pools. Can be random (as originally designed) "or original pool order".

23. meta87

meta87

Very glad I picked this up during the sale, it's quite handy! I'm using it to load enemies and items in a 2d platformer.

I'm wondering if there is a way to load a wave via a trigger? I see the triggered spawners, but I'd like to load a bunch of spawners from one trigger. Basically, spawn in items and enemies in the next section of a level when the player reaches a checkpoint. Would this be possible? I don't think I can rely on elimination, because the player might skip over an enemy or item. Thanks in advance.

24. jerotas

jerotas

It seems to me like you should be able to do that by spawning a prefab from a triggered spawner event (Trigger Event maybe that happens when you grab or bump into something signalling the end of the current level), and attach multiple Triggered Spawners with Visible Event waves to the trigger-spawned prefab. Or have a bunch of child prefabs under it with one triggered spawner each. In the 2nd case, the only caveat it that if you use the Visible trigger, each child prefab will need a MeshRenderer component or it won't fire.

If none of this sounds like it will work for you, we will figure out something to add to the plugin to make it possible. Possibly you would like a 9th triggered spawner event type that you must initiate from code instead of configuring through the UI? This may be necessary depending on what the "end level event" is. Let me know if that helps!

25. meta87

meta87

Thanks for the quick response. Your suggestions got me on the right path and its working great now. I ended up adding a bunch of triggered waves with despawners to a parent object and despawning it on a trigger. I want to spawn them off screen further into the level, so I was stumped for a bit trying to use the visible event.

Triggering waves through code would definitely be something I could see using if you'd like to add it at some point! Thanks again.

26. meta87

meta87

Actually I'm having one issue with this approach that I did not notice when I posted earlier. Here is how I have things setup:

I'm using poolmanager and I uncommented the proper lines in the killer waves scripts.
    I spawn a "checkpoint" prefab when the game starts using killer waves.
    This prefab is just a trigger with a script to despawn itself when the player enters.
    It has several children prefabs that have triggered spawners with OnDespawned Events.

It all works great, but I get an error from each child prefab:
    "KeyNotFoundException: A Pool with the name 'MainPool' not found. Pools=[]" (This is the correct name of my pool)

Code (csharp):
    1. SpawnPoolsDict.get_Item (System.String key) (at Assets/Plugins/PathologicalGames/PoolManager/PoolManager.cs:317)
    2. SpawnUtility.Spawn (UnityEngine.Transform spawn, Vector3 spawnPos, Quaternion spawnRotation) (at Assets/KillerWaves/Scripts/Utility/SpawnUtility.cs:18)
    3. TriggeredSpawner.SpawnFromWaveMeta (.TriggeredWaveMetaData wave, EventType eType) (at Assets/KillerWaves/Scripts/Spawners/TriggeredSpawner.cs:285)
    4. TriggeredSpawner.OnDespawned () (at Assets/KillerWaves/Scripts/Spawners/TriggeredSpawner.cs:99)
    5. UnityEngine.GameObject:BroadcastMessage(String, SendMessageOptions)
    6. PrefabPool:DespawnInstance(Transform) (at Assets/Plugins/PathologicalGames/PoolManager/SpawnPool.cs:1220)
    7. PrefabPool:PreloadInstances() (at Assets/Plugins/PathologicalGames/PoolManager/SpawnPool.cs:1597)
    8. SpawnPool:CreatePrefabPool(PrefabPool) (at Assets/Plugins/PathologicalGames/PoolManager/SpawnPool.cs:269)
    9. SpawnPool:Awake() (at Assets/Plugins/PathologicalGames/PoolManager/SpawnPool.cs:172)
    It is working regardless, but I figure I should still probably try and fix it. Again thanks for the help.

*Edit, oh I forgot to mention that the errors get thrown right when I start the level.

27. jerotas

jerotas

meta87, I have a lot of experience with the intricacies of PoolManager. You don't want to have OnDespawn events in child prefabs, those will not function properly. You can move all those child prefab KillerWave Triggered(De)Spawners into the top-level prefab. Yes you can have more than one instance of the same Triggered Despawner on the same prefab. They will all work.

However, you may still have the problem you encountered after changing that because Pool Manager may be calling OnDespawn for objects not in the scene initially the instant the Scene is started up. If that is the case, let me know and I'll try to add some code to fix it.

If you need to use the child prefabs for positioning concerns, I will need to find a way to add support for that. Let me know. I'm thinking onEnable / onDisable events?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  28. meta87

meta87

Thanks for setting me straight. I just started using poolmanager so I didn't realize there was an issue with spawing and child prefabs.

Yea I was using the children so I could position them in exact spots throughout the level (all outside of the visible screen). I think you are right that On Enable/Disable events would work. It would be great if you could implement that when you get the time. No rush, my game is far from finished... I posted a review on the asset store, keep up the good work!

29. jerotas

jerotas

meta87, no problem. Thanks for the review! I will definitely add the 2 events very soon. Pool Manager despawning of children works only if you de-parent them first...that requires a little code to do though. You may find that helpful later.

30. outtoplay

outtoplay

Damn..... missed this. Hopefully you participate in another! Grrrr

Anyway quick question. Say I have a 2D sidescroller, (think bird flying along the surface of the water), the triggered spawners seem perfect to set up areas that as the bird flies into them, fish prefabs could be spawned to jump out of the water for the bird to eat. That sound about right?

One other question. Is there a way to send a message to another game object upon such a trigger event? For example, say the bird flew to a point in the sidescroller, it triggers a bunch of fish jumping out of the water (fish prefabs with an Addforce.Impulse on them to make them jump), I'd like to send a message to the 2d animation on the bird to, let's say, play chew clip. DId that make sense?

Anyway... looks terrific. Great job.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  31. jerotas

jerotas

All the spawning fish and having scripts on them to move around, piece of cake with this plugi, you are correct. The sending a message to another object, it's not something you can do out-of-the-box with Killer Waves - yet. It sounds like something that could be built to hook into the TriggeredSpawner script. The trick of course is to incorporate things in such a way that everything is organized and doesn't overwhelm the user. I will put on my list to allow this in a future version. By the way, are you using a particular 2d plugin for this? I'm trying not to limit things strictly to 2dToolkit or any other implementation. But it's good to know regardless.

Good idea! Keep 'em coming.

32. outtoplay

outtoplay

For the various 2D animations I would be using Smooth Moves. It's outstanding. The animation triggering was just a thought. as I can tie which 2D animation to play on the bird based on his control keys. 2dToolkit is great for say the fish, their simple sprites, but for more involved chracters SM is terrific... here's a lil clip of one of the NPCs you run into in this game.
    https://vimeo.com/45913374

So I would create say standard trigger areas (like a cube with no mesh renderer?), and on enter, it would trigger whatever creature with it's preexisting animation, in this case, an AddForce that made them jump up and toward the bird.

Cool...thanks, Brian
    B.

33. jerotas

jerotas

Outtoplay, what I need to do is add some "hooks" so that you guys can "tie into" the triggered events and do other things at the same time with scripts. It will be fairly easy and I think it is pretty important for a variety of things. I will get it into the next version, but that may be a couple weeks or so. There are tons of new things I am testing out now and they bring it to a new level of usefulness.

Your use case of KW sounds spot on and will work great. I recommend using the randomization settings for added unpredictability. Smooth moves looks awesome!
    -B

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  34. outtoplay

outtoplay

Sounds great, Brian, looking forward to working with KW...

35. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

Looks awesome! Both the tool, and your art, there, great stuff.

Let me know when you have something you wouldn't mind sharing out, and we'll help you promote your project!

36. outtoplay

outtoplay

Sure thing Brian, I look forward to sewing Killer Waves into the project. It's quite a toolset!

37. jerotas

jerotas

Thank you for the kind words outtaplay. Here's what I just finished up for the next version.

This single script enables you easily to allow multiple-hit targets, auto-despawning for a few common scenarios, trigger explosions, prefab replacement and more! I still want to get a couple other big things into the update, but this is a very useful update. Extremely useful for tower defense, shoot 'em ups and even puzzle games (more I'm sure)! As usual, absolutely zero code is required on your part.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  38. outtoplay

outtoplay

I love you...
    (But in a good old fashion, manly sorta way) ; `)

Now, if you can figure out how to allow separate triggers (like cubes with no mesh renderer, so I could enter the trigger, and things could span from other spawn points, (like in this crappy mockup pict), life would be unimaginably more wonderful.

$Bird-scene2.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  39. jerotas

jerotas

Well if you want for example 3 fish to spawn and they are equally spaces apart, you can use the incremental settings section of the triggered spawner script. For the gulls, you'll need to use code to fire the "customCodeEvent" on the gull spawner (of which the new version will have 2 custom code events) and hook into the trigger event from the triggered spawner to activate it. This will be possible in the next version out :)

However I've thinking of a more straightforward way to do it involving child spawners...which may not make it into the next version. Definitely the version after that though if not. - Edit: it's in 2.0!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  40. outtoplay

outtoplay

Is it possible to enable a spawner when an player flies into a trigger? Or is that something that needs to be enabled during Start() of the scene to fill the pool of the things to be spawned? ( I think I just answered my own question...damn)

This thing is so damn close...to doing what I need.

On another note (or another prototype)... Do the # of spawners in a scene negatively affect performance?

Say I had a 12 spawners arranges in a circle around a center point. I was thinking about implementing a Random.onUnitSphere type thing, but since they'd be off-screen anyway, your system would offer way more options for what I could do with the 'enemies as they converged on the player at the center)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  41. meta87

meta87

Wow sounds like you've added a lot of good stuff! Looking forward to it.

42. jerotas

jerotas

Number of spawners doesn't affect performance in any significant way. They have been written with performance in mind from the get-go. Syncro and Triggered spawners only check for spawning more of a wave inside FixedUpdate (which for my mobile games runs less often than Update). If that is not the case for you, you can change FixedUpdate to Update at the method declaration inside the spawners. Or you guys can tell me I need to reverse it :). If there's nothing to spawn it's like 2 lines of code and they exit.

In any case, twelve spawners won't affect performance much at all.
    You know you can use random rotation + post-spawn nudge to spawn things at a a circular point a fixed radius away from a spawner right?

The part about enabling a spawner on a trigger shouldn't be too hard...are you talking about enabling a triggered or syncro spawner? I was planning on doing the "child spawner" thing in there which would start waves of spawners in child nodes of the triggered spawner. Is that sufficient?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  43. dark_tonic

dark_tonic

a new Killer Waves user had a couple of questions that we thought would be useful to share here:

Yes, you can use the Triggered Spawners. They become active as soon as they are visible, are collided with, or any other number of events. Tons of settings to delay the wave by seconds and so on.

Yes you can use whatever you like for AI, whether it's Rain, A+ Pathfinding (which we use) or anything else. There are no limitations whatsoever on the components (such as AI) that the prefabs you spawn can have.

All of our plugins are written with the non-coder in mind. We make complex behavior simple and intuitive to set up.

Thanks, M.D.!

44. jerotas

jerotas

As of tonight, we are feature complete for Killer Waves 2.0! This is a HUGE update featuring many things asked for by users in this thread and through email contact. Here's a list of what's coming very soon!

- Added OnEnable / OnDisable events to Triggered Spawners.
    - Added "Despawn this" on some events for Triggered Spawners so you don't have to add a despawner just for that.
    - Added 2 Code-triggered Event types for Triggered Spawners so you can call them directly.
    - Added retrigger limiters to Triggered Spawners so you can't repeat-trigger a wave continually if that isn't desired. You can specify # of frames or time to limit by.
    - Added Killable script to easily allow multiple-hit targets, auto-despawning, explosions, "death prefab" prefab replacement and more!
    - Added OnClick event for NGUI to Triggered Spawners and Triggered Despawners.
    - Added minimal mode to triggered spawners to improve the increasingly busy UI (now 13 events).
    - Added "World variables" like health, score, etc that Killables can affect when destroyed. Stats are customizable by the user and carryable (or not) from scene to scene. UI for this is super simple and powerful!
    - Added World Variable listeners you can hook into NGUI or whatever you like to change the display only when the values change.
    - Added "game over behavior" to allow spawners and killables to shut off at game over (or not).
    - Added game over triggers to World Variables so you can have the game end when you run out of lives or health for instance.
    - Added Child spawners (it's a setting of triggered spawners), which can be called by parent spawner. Choice to propogate events to children or not, any number of levels deep.
    - Added 9 listener classes for Syncro Spawners, Triggered Spawners Despawners, Level Settings, Killable, and more classes, so you can hook up custom code when things happen like wave start, wave end, item spawned etc. Each listener can be subclassed for your particular needs.

All of these new features requires absolutely zero coding on your part unless you need something custom that the listener classes provide.

This update will raise the price, so best to buy in while it's cheap if you haven't already. This is now pretty much a shoot em up (and tower defense, and multiple other genres) kit ready-to-go! Expect this to be submitted something this weekend with a video following quickly after.

-Brian D.T.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  45. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

Excellent!

46. Zink

Zink

Assets/KillerWaves/Scripts/Level/LevelSettings.cs(2,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UnityEditor' could not be found.

get this same error, where can i find the hotfix?

Using Mac, building to ios with Unity 4

47. jerotas

jerotas

For some reason the Asset Store never approved (or denied) the hotfix. It has been 3 weeks and I followed up and got no response. You can safely remove the "using UnityEditor" line at the top of that file (LevelSettings.cs) and save the file. That will solve the problem. Let me know if that does it for you.

-Brian

48. Zink

Zink

Thanks for the quick response, this worked for me. Did read the thread but had commented out the wrong line at first. (not a programmer) Killer waves add on works great, I dig it.

49. jerotas

jerotas

Glad to hear it! Do let us know what sort of things you'd enjoy to see added to the plugin after you've used it for awhile. The new version does include the hotfix of course. I should be submitting that any day for approval. You will dig the new version far more, with all the stuff it will let you do with minimum fuss and zero lines of code for you to write :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  50. jerotas

jerotas