Search Unity

CORE-Framework with 100+ mobile ready shaders [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by echologin, Dec 8, 2012.

?

What version of Unity are you using ?

1. 3.5.x

19.0%
  2. 4.0

6.1%
  3. 4.1

78.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SteveJ

SteveJ

Anyone have thoughts on the dissolve shader thing?

2. echologin

echologin

Sorry for delay ( took off weekend for once ), which exact dissolve shader are you using ? and did you remove the old shaders b4 upgrading to 1.1 ?

3. SteveJ

SteveJ

Using echoLogin/Unlit/Dissolve/20-Burn. I followed all the instructions when upgrading (I think). The model just disappears rather than dissolve, but it was working previously (i.e. the texture has the correct alpha channel added, etc).

4. echologin

echologin

It sounds like the alpha channel is a solid color.

Did you change Alpha channel ? or pick only RGB instead of RGBA in texture inspector ?

What works best is the Clouds filer in photoshop ( just on alpha channel ) raise contrast a little then maybe ass a tiny tiny bit of noise

If thats not it can u send me a small project to show this ? ( Private msg the link )

I just tested that exact shader here and it seems to work fine.

5. SteveJ

SteveJ

Yep, I have the alpha channel, Photoshop difference clouds, etc etc etc. "It was working previously" :) I don't know, I'll go back over it all and try to see what's going on. Nothing else changed though. You can confirm that code should still work though, right? Nothing changed in that regard?

6. echologin

echologin

Also you do have EchoCoreManager in scene right ? if you send me some kinda sample project to show problem im sure i can fix or find problem it in a minute

-Scott

7. imtrobin

imtrobin

Seems to be the same issue I've reported, if the texture has an alpha channel, it doesn't work. If I use unity import settings to create alpha, it dissolves properly.

8. SteveJ

SteveJ

Just created a test project with the same script, same texture, and it works perfectly. I don't understand why it doesn't work in the original project. Playing around to try and figure it out.

9. SteveJ

SteveJ

Stumped. I've done testing to confirm that the code is being executed and is correct. That the texture works (in a sample project). I've deleted all the shaders and reimported the package. Still nothing.

If anyone comes up with any thoughts, please let me know so I can give them a shot. It's the strangest thing.

10. echologin

echologin

Are you guys using photoshop ? and are textures PSD or something else ?

can you send me texture and snapshot of texture properties in inspector ?

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

​Warning: This asset is underpriced. The price should be $100.

I tried the new beta build from echo on skype, it is way underpriced IMO.

12. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Hey,

Love the shaders, but I do have a question.

I want to use both Beast Lightmapping and realtime shadows. Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thanks,

13. echologin

echologin

in verison 1.1 no , but in next update it will work! should be soon, Not going to say how many days, because something always comes up.
    If your not already add me to skype I can send you beta when it is ready Skype = "echoLogin".

14. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Great, thanks,

I have another question. I added the Manger Prefab in my game scene and every object that has a shader that uses the CORE framework has an "Echo game object component.

When I build on the device (Android HTC Inspire 4G) the load time between each scene goes from 3 seconds to 30 seconds. When I remove the Manager Prefab and the GameObject components, the time goes back down to 3 seconds. I also noticed the shaders still behave correctly without the scripts.

What are they used for?
    Have you seen the loading time increase?

Thanks,

15. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Ok,

I figured it out, I had the "Fix Scale" checked on all of the game objects.

Turning that off fixed the load time.

16. SteveJ

SteveJ

I'm using a TGA. I'll PM you the texture after. It does work though in a fresh project so it's pretty baffling why it doesn't work in my actual project. All the import settings look the same etc.

17. echologin

echologin

Yes FIXSCALE will make a new mesh if the objects scale is != 1,1,1 this can reduce drawcalls but longer loading time

EDIT: Just made fix-scale and add children default to false

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  18. echologin

echologin

OK ill check it out when you send image

19. echologin

echologin

Can you say 6 lights on mobile ? 2 lights doing bump-mapping @ same time ( 1 Dir, 1 Point )

SUPER FAST!!

6 Light Demo

( Song is from my musicpack 1 )

Coming in next update!

All lights selectable with options so it only uses what you need for max speed.

1 Dir light and you can select if it affects bump-mapping and specular
    1 Point light and you can select if it affects bump-mapping and specular, can also turn on and off falloff

4 Extra point lights - chooses 4 closest to camera view - all these lights have fall off

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  20. rextr09

rextr09

Hi, I have just purchased the framework. It does great so far. But I couldn't simulate the built-in diffuse shader (no texture) with lightmapping. (I'm using iOS basic).

Can you add a shader that has a single solid color + lightmap support? (Like the built-in mobile/vertex-lit but has a color picker instead of texture)

Thanks.

21. echologin

echologin

Sure if you PM me your invoice number i could send shader -- will only take a few minutes to make

22. rextr09

rextr09

Thanks, your support was one of the reasons to buy this framework. I sent you a PM.

23. echologin

echologin

The Shader you need is called "echoLogin/Unlit/Solid/10-Fastest" it is already in there

unless you needed real lights and lightmapping on a solid object ?

24. rextr09

rextr09

Oh, sorry I realized that I left the objects "scale in lightmap" property set to zero, that's why "echoLogin/Unlit/Solid/10-Fastest" didn't work at first. Now it works :)

Now, I have another question about "echoLogin/Light/Solid/Color". It seems like it doesn't work since it's always black whatever color I set. It's black even in the editor preview. Should this shader behave like built-in diffuse normally? (BTW I'm not using the EchoCoreManager prefab)

25. echologin

echologin

All the "LIT" Shaders need the EchoCoreManager to set the shader keywords or they will not behave properly

Also most of the shaders need to be in default folders they came in ( do not move things around ) there
    are quite a few shaders that reply on other shaders as well as my own include files

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  26. rextr09

rextr09

Hmm, Ok. I don't use EchoCoreManager because I don't like its Update function doing "something" every frame :) Isn't it possible to do lit shaders without CoreManager? Or you make it this way because it's more efficient? Thanks.

27. echologin

echologin

It might show EchoCoreManager as doing something when in editor, but its just pulling info from unity
    This does not happen in a built app at all.

The alternative would be to have more than 2-3 times the variations of shaders i have now, and that would be impossible for me to upkeep

As soon as I make this unity 4.1 and up only that will change with the per material keywords

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  28. SteveJ

SteveJ

I'm still working on getting this Dissolve shader working again. I've just come across something interesting that I was hoping someone could help with.

I started a new project. Brought in Core Framework from the Asset Store. Copied in one of my models, its texture (TGA with the dissolve alpha), and my script (below).

When I run the project though, I get this error:

Code (csharp):
    2. public class Dissolve : EchoGameObject
    3. {
    4.     private void Start()
    5.     {
    6.         Invoke("Dissolver", 1.0f);
    7.     }
    9.     private void Dissolver()
    10.     {
    11.         EchoFXEvent efx;
    12.         efx = EchoFXEvent.Dissolve_echoShader(this, -0.5f, 1.5f, 3.0f);
    13.         efx.StartDelay(1.0f, null);        
    14.     }
    15. }

29. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Is the manager in the scene?

30. echologin

echologin

Try not using invoke, it looks like your trying to use a delay using Invoke then again with framework.
    Also like hippo said make sure the EchoCoreManager is in scene.

Code (csharp):
    2. public class Dissolve : EchoGameObject
    3. {
    4.     private void Start()
    5.     {
    6.         Dissolver();
    7.     }
    9.     private void Dissolver()
    10.     {
    11.         EchoFXEvent efx;
    12.         efx = EchoFXEvent.Dissolve_echoShader(this, -0.5f, 1.5f, 3.0f);
    13.         efx.StartDelay(1.0f, null);        
    14.     }
    15. }

31. SteveJ

SteveJ

Damn you all and your intelligence! Of course I forgot to put the manager in the scene :)

The Invoke doesn't hurt things.

I'll fix this tonight and continue the testing. I'm just trying to reproduce as close as possible to my actual scene. The successful tests I did before were using a sphere, so now I'm using one of the actual models from the game in case that's causing problems (i.e. with something in the new version).

It's all quite a mystery.

32. echologin

echologin

Missing the EchoCoreManger is my #1 support problem ( have to ask hehe )

Steve can u send me a simple project somehow that shows problem ? or maybe add me to Skype, if i dont have you already
    Skype name = echoLogin

33. SteveJ

SteveJ

Yep - I'll do that tonight with this new test thing I'm doing if it still doesn't work. My main project is a bit massive to upload.

34. SteveJ

SteveJ

Sorry to be a pain :(

Okay, so the test project works fine. Same version of Core Framework, same script, same model, same material. All works fine.

Doesn't work in my real project.

What I'm basically doing is swapping out the material on a creature model once it dies. So the "dead" material gets applied (which uses the dissolve shader), and then the script is called to execute the dissolve. I can see that the material successfully changes, and the dissolve function is called, it's just that nothing happens. No errors. No dissolve. Nothing.

Is there anything at the project level maybe that could be stopping it? A setting or something that I might have changed and not realised it?

It's seriously driving me mental. It WAS working.

35. echologin

echologin

Ahh swapping material could be problem, I detect what shader properties an object has at start-up
    changing materials would negate that info. ( so my system would think the material did not have
    _echoMix property used to slide the dissolve )

{Quick Fix}
    Have the dissolve shader on by default ( so its there at start )
    Then on startup [ in Start() not Awake() ] change to normal material.

{Real fix}
    I could add a function that would change materials and recheck what properties that object's material has
    ( this should fix it )

What exact shader are you using again ?

PS: been up all night working be back in 8 hours or so

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  36. SteveJ

SteveJ

Is that something that's changed since v1.0 though?

I'm using unlit dissolve burn.

I'll try the suggestion of starting on the dissolve shader material first just in case.

37. echologin

echologin

v1.0 There was a bug where it sent a few of the properties to all shaders whether it had the property or not
    v1.1 only sends data needed by shader ( more optimized )

now that i see the downside i will code a feature to handle this

( also fixed a few other bugs that could cause other problems when instantiating materials during gameplay )

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  38. SteveJ

SteveJ

All working! That was the problem - I had to have the burn shader material assigned first, then do my texture swapping. Thanks for the great support!

You're not off the hook yet though... :) I have another issue in something else that I'm working on. I'm going to do a couple of videos later today though so you can easily see what I'm talking about...

39. SteveJ

SteveJ

40. echologin

echologin

That is weird, does it still happen if you use a NON bump-maped lit shader ?
    ( ill try to recreate that somehow )

please if you have any kinda messenger like skype, gtalk, msn, yahoo, icq can we talk on there in real time ?

Skype is great for support because you can screen-share and show me bugs or whatever in realtime.

41. meta87

meta87

Is it possible to use the Flame Outline effect with an ortho camera? Here's a screenshot of what's happening for me. It looks right in the editor, but angled wrong in Ortho. I'm using the most recent version and have the EchoCoreManager prefab in the scene. Thanks in advance.

$core.jpg

42. echologin

echologin

It works correct here with ortho. what kind of effect are your trying to achieve ?
    This is an outline effect but in screenshot i do not see the object the flames are suppose to be going around ?

Anyway you can make a simple project to show me this problem ?

-Scott

43. meta87

meta87

Thanks for the quick reply. The object is a unity sphere, the outline shows up correctly, but the rippling flame effect doesn't completely surround the object.

I will make a simple project and email it to you. Thanks again.

44. echologin

echologin

Just IM me the link, ill be working for at least 8 more hours

45. meta87

meta87

Hmm well everything is working correctly in a new project. Must be something about my current project. Will try and get to the bottom of it.

46. GXMark

GXMark

Hi Scott

I'm thinking of purchasing your fantastic shader product. However, for my game i'm in need of the outlining effects you produce however i need them to properly occlude when objects such as primitive cubes, cones and cylinders etc intersect in world space. I noticed your demonstration on outlining shows overlay (non-intersecting) but not inter-sections. What effect does your outlining have on these kinda requirement?

GXMark

47. echologin

echologin

The outline is basically the same object drawn under the main object using a different shader for outline.
    and overlay is drawn after using the overlay shader. So it would have same effect as if it was part of the object

This is not a post process effect. ( I plan to make a post outline also in future )

if you want using unity simple objects make a scene and send it to me, ill add outline and show you a web demo of how it looks.

-Scott

48. GXMark

GXMark

Hi Scott,

The following image shows a very basic intersecting toon shader cube primitive outlined with intersection.

I was playing around with a stencil buffer post process effect to solve this task but had great difficulty with my lack of shader knowledge to get the intersection to work correctly. Basically i was trying to use an intersection shader to indicate the region of intersection which created a stencil that had blurred effect applied 4 cap cone etc and then to lerp it with the frame buffer.

Other Features

1. Ability to outline compound (group) of objects from a nested group of game object's

for example game object
    > game object
    > game object etc

2. Ability to outline mesh objects of any kind (intersecting and nonintersecting)

3. Ability to easily select colour, glow intensity etc..

These features combined with your ultra nice outlining effects would be awesome.

Attached Files:

49. echologin

echologin

$outline.png

Here is how intersection looks with my outline, not sure why it shows through at intersection seam.
    ( im sure its fixable )

Right now with my outline feature you can:

Outline an object and all of its children ( is this what you mean by nested ? )
    All the outlines have material properties that can be tweaked ( color, size of effect and so on )
    ( color can be changed per object )

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  50. echologin

echologin

Getting close with next update, here is latest 6 light demo

6 Light Demo

This demo shows 1 main point light doing bump-mapping, 1 directional light also doing bump-mapping
    4 extra lights which are the 4 closest to main camera view ( can have any amount of lights in scene )
    and the specular shader affected by all 6 lights on the blue pillars.

In this next update you will be able to:

0) Use 6 lights on mobile, its very fast
    1) Choose what lights your app uses ( 1 main point, 1 main dir, 4 extra lights -- in any combination )
    2) Pick which lights affect bump-map, specular
    3) Turn falloff on and off for main pointlight
    4) Intensity tweek slider for each light, so you can overbrighten, darken whatever
    5) turn light-probe / spherical harmonics on / off
    6) After picking options you press "compile shaders" button on CoreManager to build shaders with only the code you need for maximum speed / smallest size
    7) More shaders like GUI Shaders, BumpMap Specular and more !!

COMING SOON!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013