Search Unity

CORE-Framework with 100+ mobile ready shaders [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by echologin, Dec 8, 2012.

?

What version of Unity are you using ?

1. 3.5.x

19.0%
  2. 4.0

6.1%
  3. 4.1

78.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. echologin

echologin

At this time 6 is the limit, one main point, one main directional ( that can also be used as spotlight )

Then 4 extra lights, You can have 100 of these but the system only uses the 4 closest to main camera.

I did this for speed on mobile, but now devices are so fast, this limitation will be removed in v2.0 of framework.

2. PrisonerOfLies

PrisonerOfLies

alright, I think its good if there is an option to choose whether to toggle to activate x number of lights closest to the camera or remove this restriction.

3. echologin

echologin

Like i said that will be gone when i get v2.0 out. it would take tons of work to make it work both ways. My thinking was on mobile u shouldn't use more than 2 lights anyways. thought of 6 as a bonus.

4. lazygunn

lazygunn

I'll echo Jerotas here, this is absolutely top stuff if you want some real example of how speedy you can get your framerate going, obviously in mobile settings, absolutely vital and theres plenty of people who have this who can vouch for this. I used it in a desktop setting for something that absolutely had to run at a decent clip and it was fine for one particular aspect which was killing it. Had the bright idea of using the framework for this particular circumstance and the framerate went from doglike to extremely pleasing - definitely worth your money if you genuinely do value your performance. I won't post the work simply because there's so many different shaders and suchlike involved that its misrepresentative of core's feature set, but I can say without a shadow of a doubt the videocard dealt with everything with ease except the instance where it was this framework that stopped us tearing our hair out

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

@PrisonerOfLies

What echo is saying is that you always get 2 lights, but the other 4 are dynamically sorted, so you get thousands of dynamic lights in the level but 4 affecting the nearby geometry, this is cool stuff for a lot of game scenarios, especially for dynamically generated games where beast isn't really an option.

If you are doing mobile, then you really should just be using beast + light probes as this is a significant quality boost and performance boost (see shadowgun). Echologins stuff supports all this so going against the grain on it is probably not a great idea.

Personally for mobile I would just use lightmaps + light probes with a single dynamic light for bump maps (which echo supports). Fast stuff that looks great. Just my 2 cents.

6. lazygunn

lazygunn

Man with my mobile stuff it's been 100% lightmappng or even just baked colourmaps with maybe one light. If you're not using mobile then i userstand not wanting a light limitation i suppose... but then.. there will be answers coming up

7. andyz

andyz

Hi do any of the included shaders speed up the most basic of lighting for mobile? - specifically plain diffuse (or specular) 1 directional light with/without color and unlit
    Also on mobile, what about using 'Wrapped Diffuse' to give more interesting lighting from all angles with 1 light or do you use a second fill light with these faster shaders?

8. echologin

echologin

Yes the lit shaders are faster than the default unity diffuse, I dont have a wrapped diffuse shader but u can use multiple lights w/o any measurable speed loss ( exception being any bump/normal mapped shader if using more than one light for bump mapping )

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  9. echologin

echologin

Version 1.3 was just accepted and available on asset store !

10. PrisonerOfLies

PrisonerOfLies

thanks for the replies.
    never regretted supporting this framework

11. WarpB

WarpB

Awww man! Spotted this last night and thought "Ooo, I'll get that in the morning". Hence the saying "He who hesitates, pays an extra $15" :)

12. JayG81

JayG81

Even at 60, it's a steal. It's helped me tremendously.

13. echologin

echologin

Sorry i had no idea 1.3 would go through few hours that after I got featured. ( didnt even know feature was coming )

14. PrisonerOfLies

PrisonerOfLies

problem.
    i have a plane mesh, scale at vector3(10, 1, 10) and the lighting goes crazy.

$Untitled.png

15. PrisonerOfLies

PrisonerOfLies

16. echologin

echologin

The lighting is vertex based always. either expand the light radius or add more quads/triangles.

17. PrisonerOfLies

PrisonerOfLies

if i have a large plane, is it more optimized to use per pixel lighting or use more vertices for the plane ?

18. echologin

echologin

a few more triangles will be faster than per pixel.

Just in case its a bug, can u send me a test scene that shows this ?

Also did you try adjusting the lights range value ?

19. PrisonerOfLies

PrisonerOfLies

The test scene is similar to your 6 light tutorial except that I scaled the plane larger and use only point light

20. echologin

echologin

And that light is the main point light with falloff checked in manager ?

21. echologin

echologin

And that light is the main point light with falloff checked in manager ?

Do you have Skype ? this could be resolved in 5 min via a screen share.

22. PrisonerOfLies

PrisonerOfLies

Yes but I am currently at school, I ll be online 6 hours later

23. echologin

echologin

I work weird hours if u see me online just msg me.

24. gecko

gecko

I've just started trying this out in a project. I put the _EchoCoreManager in the scene, then gave one object the "Light/10-Fastest shader," then clicked Compile Shaders on CoreManager. But the appears unlit -- it's not as dark as if I assign an Unlit shader, but it's pretty dark (darker than with the standard Diffuse shader), and the Directional Light in the scene does not affect it. Am I missing a step?

25. echologin

echologin

Make sure the light is marked as Auto Or Important.

Also make sure on EchoCoreManager that the Main Directional light option is checked on

If that is not it can u PM me a link to show screenshot of inspector for EchoCoreManager and Light object settings ?

or add me to Skype ( name == "EchoLogin" )

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  26. gecko

gecko

sorry -- the directional light was set to Not Important. Now it works! RTFM, eh?

27. echologin

echologin

I had to do that because the of the extra 4 light option, only way to tell my system which light is main point or dir and which of many can be the extra 4 lights.

It can be confusing but its worth it for the speed.

Eventually i will go to just using unity lighting model.

28. echologin

echologin

Just a small demo to show how my shaders look with real art ( not my programer art )

Car Reflection

Uses car model from the new unity free asset beta, For Shaders it uses bumpmap-specular and bumpmap-reflective in framework. and is using all 6 lights for specular

BTW that is a fake fast 1 texture reflection.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  29. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

That car reflection is the business. Love it.

30. echologin

echologin

kewl - thx

31. serpin

serpin

Echologin,

Lit shaders don't seem to work with Unity sprites:

Unlit shader on sprites (transparent - fastest):

$nolit-notlit.jpg

Lit shader (light - transparent - fastest):

$nolit.jpg

32. echologin

echologin

Do you have the _EchoCoreManager lights selected ( what kind of lights are in your scene )
    Also make sure the lights are set to Auto or Important if they are the Main lights or set to Not Important
    If using the 4 extra light option. Also make sure camera is tagged as main camera.

Do you have Skype ? or can you send me that object and its texture ?

33. echologin

echologin

As much as i like money, wait on buying this i just put it on sale until i get v2.0 out so wait !!

34. echologin

echologin

New price is set !!

35. ZJP

ZJP

New customer. Thanks alot... :D

36. echologin

echologin

Cool thanks !!

37. RodolfoLasparri1

RodolfoLasparri1

Hello, awesome job on this shaders!

I'm trying to move my project to core framework but I'm encountering a problem using Light shaders with any kind of beast baked lighting

basically the shadows received by beast lightmapped objects don't get any kind of color tinting, neither from Ambient Light color on render settings or from the "_echocoremanager" directional light shadow tinting feature

this is a screenshot of the shader ("light/10-color") working ok without beast lightmaps using "_echocoremanager" shadow tinting set to red but not with lightmaps... (only the ground is lightmapped) am I doing something wrong?

$LightmappingCoref.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  38. echologin

echologin

If you are using the lit shaders. make sure the Add Beast Code option is checked on the _echoCoreManager.

If you have no realtime lights in scene it would be faster to use the unlit shaders they all support beast lightmapping.

Do you have Skype ? if so add me "echoLogin" I find it easy to help people "live"

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  39. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

didn't want to read all the 30 pages of the thread trying to find an answer. It's been a while I was looking at these shaders without asking this question: do they react to light probes? Specifically the dissolve ones. thanks

40. jerotas

jerotas

Any idea when v2.0 might come out? We have the latest installed, but aren't using most of it yet. We could hold off if the newer version is near?

41. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Bump this

42. echologin

echologin

The lit dissolve ones should you just have to check the add Beast Code option in EchoCoreManager

43. echologin

echologin

Minimum 3 months, i thought putting it on sale would coax me to get it done faster

44. jerotas

jerotas

Cool, I'll be using the existing version then. I'll Skype with you when we're ready.

45. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

thanks for your answer.

46. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

is it a new package? or an update from the existing?

is it possible to have a simple list of major add/changes?

47. echologin

echologin

Do you mean what v2.0 will be ? it will be update to current and free to whomever has version 1!

Right now with what i've learned from doing postfx studio i'm probably going to make it an easy to use shader maker ( will generate fast shaders, with ability to do what it can do now and more ) with all the framework stuff polished up and easier to use. ( especially pooling ) So its an easy to use starting point for a game.

48. gecko

gecko

I'm using Unlit/Transparent/10-Fastest shader for some tree billboards....but I really need it to be double-sided. Is that something you could add, as an option?

49. echologin

echologin

You could just load up shader and change the line that says

Cull Back

to

Cull Off

This is reason number 64738 in v2.0 im gonna make it where user just picks what is needed in shader and presses MAKE instead of me trying to guess every variation in the world. I will make it so simple anyone can use it and will still be fast.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  50. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I second the double-sided option. It's especially common for sprite based games which flip or rotate.