Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

CORE-Framework with 100+ mobile ready shaders [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by echologin, Dec 8, 2012.

?

What version of Unity are you using ?

1. 3.5.x

19.0%
  2. 4.0

6.1%
  3. 4.1

78.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

That massively sucks, especially given how affordable the asset is. This is why we can't have nice things!

2. derkoi

derkoi

Wow, that sucks that it makes that much difference. :(

3. echologin

echologin

My theory why it affects some assets more than others is the learning curve, framework requires a little learning and setup. If they haven't paid i think they are more opt to say screw this and forget it since they have invested nothing. Where as simpler assets they might eventually actually purchase it. ( after downloading pirated version )

So after postfx maker , ill get one last 1.x version out then work on 2.0 ( will be way easier to use ) maybe that will
    help

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  4. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

FYI, I couldn't quite get the material swapping method to work right no matter what I did, so I did end up swapping between two GameObject's in order to get what I wanted. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

I did notice that the hit area is kind of low res. Is there a way to make the highlight area of the hit location higher resolution? I'm using the built-in Unity sphere primitive; would it help to use a higher poly mesh?

Here's what I've got (looks better in realtime, but you get the idea):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvtnB8zsgkg

5. echologin

echologin

More polygons in shield sphere ( if your using the built in make shield object function that is really only for rapid prototyping )

Do you have Skype ? if so add me "echoLogin" i can help tweek even make new shaders to accommodate your needs.

Im going to sleep now but will be back on Skype when i awake.

6. KakCAT2

KakCAT2

Hi!

I suppose not but... are the shader sources included in the package? I'd like to use the mobile shaders as an starting point for platforms other than unity.

Thanks!
    Kak

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unlike games piracy where there's a lot of volume, asset store piracy can be a killer, because the author typically a) is indie and this is his ONLY income and b) a lot less units are shifted so it only takes literally one pirate copy a day to put scott out of business then none of us get any speed.

edit: another bonus of purchasing from scott is that he tends to actually work for you with one to one support on skype... i think that alone saves so many hours that it pays for itself shortly after purchase. Yes, I'm recommending people buy scotts stuff (echologin) including his post-fx framework coming soon because that is stuff one just supports due to it being top notch.

People don't realise its not just for mobile. Not all shaders need to be triple bump parallax rim lit vector spectrum. Most things in the game look the same with a custom fast shader. Rift needs this speed too.

/end sales patter... but I meant every word.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  8. echologin

echologin

yes source is included, but for lighted shaders it might be a little hard to decipher because they are made from a few huge include files that are controlled by #ifdef's ( this made it easier for me to tweek a few files that affected many, and the manager uses this also to set the light options )

-Scott

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  9. JayG81

JayG81

I have a need...a need for speed.

It's pretty discouraging that people are doing that; it ends up hurting everybody. And why someone would give the file away for free after purchasing it themselves rattles my brain. This angers me too as Unity is more than just a piece of software, it's a community. The Unity dev team is pretty generous as it is.

10. echologin

echologin

Will be submitting update very soon ( TONS of fixes, and a few new shaders )

Last chance to get it on sale!

11. QFGlenn

QFGlenn

When I look at the CORE Framework as a whole, I can see that what it does for my project far exceeds the value of the purchase. echoLogin will be solving problems for your team before you even recognize the issue. He is a dedicated asset developer. I HIGHLY recommend purchasing this asset. Don't pirate this, if you get it any other way, you are missing out on the great personal support the developer puts into his product. Multiple occasions I have asked for help. He 20 years experience, so anything from simple issues to advanced questions to more abstract lines of thought, up to and including commission work he is always professional and helpful. I have had a 4 hour conversation with Scott, and he was extremely helpful. This developer has given me customized versions of the included shaders to fit our game's needs. He includes the fastest pooling system I have seen on the asset store. His higher cost shaders are visually appealing and his lower cost shaders are really fast, ESPECIALLY ON MOBILE. On a suggestion I made he has included in the CORE framework is a vertex terrain shader that works really well. It goes to show that buying this asset pays for itself, because all these new updates editions and renditions transition seamlessly into my project and provide a performance or visual boost. He has a lot of sample projects to see. Please support this asset, as it will really stimulate updates and new content we can all benefit from.

12. JayG81

JayG81

I just noticed something when upgrading to Unity 4.3 and using the EchoLogin shaders: the bumpmap/bumpmap specular shaders no longer work on my Galaxy S(1) phone. The meshes don't render at all. I didn't want to have to upgrade to 4.3, but I had to in order to get another plugin to work. :(

They still work on my Galaxy Tab II and BB Z10.

EDIT: There's actually a few more shaders that don't work.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  13. echologin

echologin

the same shaders work with < 4.3?

ill figure out whats going on 2 maro
    ( at thanks giving thing with fam today )

now i wish i brought my macbook

14. JayG81

JayG81

Oh, right, totally forgot about Thanksgiving. I'm Canadian. :p

Yeah, they have worked on everything up until 4.3. Although, I skipped 4.2.2--but definitely 4.2.1.

Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy your turkey. There's no rush on this, I was just pointing it out.

15. echologin

echologin

i think i have an s1. and s2 somewhere

ill pm u link to latest framework when i get home. has tons of fixes msybe it will work

16. echologin

echologin

thanks for compliments !

17. KakCAT2

KakCAT2

despite the "ifdef problems" it looks like a great resource to learn form for a very reduced price, I'll definitively be getting it soon :)

18. echologin

echologin

Cool thanks !!

19. echologin

echologin

so far testing update no problems found, gonna submit monday

20. God-at-play

God-at-play

I had some questions about this since I'm considering buying this for the indie game I'm currently working on. Do you have a comprehensive list of the included shaders? I went to your website but the list there seems outdated.

For example, do the unlit and lit versions of 20-color shader support the scene Ambient color?

We'd need the unlit 20-color and then a lit 20-color with normal mapping. I didn't see the normal mapping version mentioned even though on the front page there's a "bump map" mention.

Lastly it is easy to extend your shaders? We want to add another slot to the two shaders mentioned above that adds a texture with screen-aligned UVs.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  21. echologin

echologin

You can see the shaders in the asset store where it shows all the project files

"For example, do the unlit and lit versions of 20-color shader support the scene Ambient color?"

Unit does not support ambient light color, lit shaders do.

"We'd need the unlit 20-color and then a lit 20-color with normal mapping. I didn't see the normal mapping version mentioned even though on the front page there's a "bump map" mention."

My bumpmap shaders are normal map, i do not have a bumpmap that has a color property yet ( woudnt be hard to make one )

"Lastly it is easy to extend your shaders? We want to add another slot to the two shaders mentioned above that adds a texture with screen-aligned UVs."

The unlit ones are easy to modify, the lit ones would be harder because they all derive from 3 include files.

Sorry for delay been trying to get update out and another asset.

-Scott

22. God-at-play

God-at-play

Cool, thanks for the info. :) Sounds like this should be pretty easy for us to work with then. One more question: what tangent space do you use for your normal map rendering? Unity's craziness, or something more standard?

23. echologin

echologin

its same as unity, just a little faster

FYI: version 2 of this should be easier to modify the shaders. going to simplify everything into just a handful of shaders with many options. ( will be more total possibilities also )

24. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

25. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I guess normal mapping per pixel would mean the entire scene is drawn again per light, or have I got that wrong? It is interesting because if we move to object space we should be able to use vertex lighting to obtain the same result without the fill hit. Or not?

26. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

Yes but what about performances? Is it possible on mobile? And with unity free?

27. echologin

echologin

Its possible and should be fast enough, but actually drawing the bumps on the 2d objects mesh so light hits them right would be faster.

28. thehosse

thehosse

Hey echologin,
    I've just purchased Core framework, it looks great.! Although I was hoping they had cubemap reflection support. Ideally I need unlit shaders for mobile that support beast lightmaps;

Unlit / diffuse rgb / reflection cubemap.
    Unlit / diffuse rgba / reflection cubemap.

So I can create reflective solid and reflective transparent objects that run quickly on mobile. Is this something I can do with core framework?

29. lazygunn

lazygunn

Just a quick plug to as im reminded i owe echologin one, these shaders are the S*** and if you really want to see shader performance take off like a rocket, esp lots of particles, get this stuff

I see why hippocoders been saying he's been buggig you to make these things for ages, he was completely right

30. echologin

echologin

There are fake reflective shaders ( uses one texture for speed on mobile ). i plan to add cubemapped reflection in future update.

All the unlit shaders should work with beast lightmapping.

31. echologin

echologin

Cool thanks !

32. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

This Framework is excellent! Just thought I'd let you know echo ;) Keep up the great work... looking forward to your PostFX plugin! When is that coming?

33. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

34. echologin

echologin

Thanks, submitting postfx 2maro ( and new framework ) literally all i do is work on both from time i get up to time i goto sleep

35. echologin

echologin

The trick i use in framework to do outlines will not work with transparent parts.
    I will eventually be adding some kinda true outline system to my postFX Asset in a future update.

36. dev_2051

dev_2051

Hi echologin,

I want to buy core framework.
    But just want to enquire are there any shaders which can be used to achieve portal type effect(character going in portal and then disappearing slowly),needed for my current project?
    Thanks and keep up the awesome work you are doing!!!

37. echologin

echologin

That sounds more like a post image effect, you could kinda fake it with a model of a vortex and some additive shader and scroll the UV.

but if you want to actually warp the scene into a vortex that would have to be a post effect.
    I am about to release a post fx system asset, it doesnt have vortex in it but that could be something i add to it down the road.

38. echologin

echologin

Just wanted to say Thanks to all the people who bought this, this asset is my main source of income right now and every sale has an impact on my life.

-Scott Host

39. JayG81

JayG81

Thanks for taking the time to make it!

40. echologin

echologin

that was the easy part doing support and maintaining it is the real work !

41. echologin

echologin

version 1.3 submitted . Many MANY bug fixes and optimizations, also a few new shaders.

Price is going to $60 USD, last chance to get it on SALE.

42. jerotas

jerotas

The purchase was well worth it! I give 11 stars.

43. echologin

echologin

Thanks !!

44. dev_2051

dev_2051

Just bought a copy of Core Framework.Liked the beautifully set up scenes showcasing the awesomeness of this framework.
    Can you please prepare a document explaining the ideal scenario/usage for each shader,this will really help newbies like me to learn from your vast experience.

Thanks keep up the great work :)

45. echologin

echologin

Yes eventually, for now if you want to add me to Skype "echoLogin" could ask me any questions about the shaders.
    ( ill try to update website shader info when v1.3 goes live )

Also the shaders have keywords in names

Fastest = fastest shader of this group
    Color = uses vertex colors and has a global color property
    Lightmap = uses alpha channel for a lightmap effect ( like lights that are always bright )
    solid = no texture just color
    reflective = one texture fake reflection ( cube map coming soon )
    zwrite = with transparent shaders it will write to zbuffer
    discard = with transparent shaders it will use clip in shader ( very slow and doesn't work on all devices )
    rimlit = does a rim lighting pass

Also each group is sorted by speed of shader

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  46. highpockets

highpockets

Hey, do you have a list of the shaders that ship with this package somewhere? I'm looking for an optimized bump mapped, light probe shader for mobile.

BTW Do you think I'm asking to much of the iPhone to support 25ish objects in my scene with a shader like that? Each object has the same material and the vert count is low on them ( just rectangles ), but at some points during gameplay, they can take up a pretty greedy portion of the screen..

I've been on the edge about buying this shader package for sometime now.

Thanks

47. echologin

echologin

You can see alll the .shader files when browsing asset store from unity, but what that dont show is the options, CORE Framework lets you choose options for lit shaders then recompile them ( watch the 1st video on 1st post of this thread ). My bump map shader should use light probes if you check the Add Beast Code option on manager then set lights for realtime. You could also with my stuff use up to 6 lights instead of using light-probes that might be faster than using beast with bumpmap. One thing the light probes can not affect the bumpmap only the real lights. ( but you can choose which one of the 2 main lights affect bump-mapping )

If the 25 objects are bump-mapped ( normal mapped ) that can slow things down on mobile what is your target device ?

48. highpockets

highpockets

I just bought the package. Loaded with tons of great stuff!! It will help me in more ways than 1!!

I want to target a variety of devices. I have been testing it on the iPhone 4G and it seems smooth, but I keep on adding new elements to the scene, which is inevitably going to slow it down. I'm thinking that I have to choose either bump maps or shadows with beast/your 6 light option. I'm leaning toward shadows with beast/6 light option, but…… that means I have to redo my textures :(.

I will look into your tutorials. Instead of my search for the overly ambitious bumpedprobe shader, I'm going to be looking for a way to use one detailed texture on multiple objects while changing the colour of each object by code to ensure dynamic batching. I was able to do it with a custom surface shader (masked tint idea), but I'm sure I will be amazed at the performance enhancement of one of your vert frag shaders that does something similar.. Can you think of a shader in your package that would be a good candidate for such a task?

I'm stoked to try your stuff out!!

49. echologin

echologin

Thanks for purchase!! any shader with the word "color" in name uses vertex colors and global tinting.

Also if u PM me your invoice # i will send ver 1.3 that is awaiting approval ( lots of fixes and speedups )

If you have skype i can answer questions in realtime ( name = "echoLogin" )

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  50. PrisonerOfLies

PrisonerOfLies

sorry, i am a little bit confused here, is this framework able to support more than 6 lights ?