Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

CORE-Framework with 100+ mobile ready shaders [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by echologin, Dec 8, 2012.

?

What version of Unity are you using ?

1. 3.5.x

19.0%
  2. 4.0

6.1%
  3. 4.1

78.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SteveJ

SteveJ

Sounds awesome. Looking forward to it :)

2. metaleap

metaleap

Most assets that become more popular set up their own support forums where often users end up helping each other out.. do so stop letting everyone distract you from focus/flow on Skype all the time! :D :D

Also, in my own experience "selling digital goods", if support becomes overwhelming that means the price is set too low :D I know, I know, we're all poor indies here but um just sayin'...... :D

3. ClockworkWolf

ClockworkWolf

Hey all,
    Can the echoLogin folder be moved to a subdirectory inside Assets? It seems like when I do, I get the following error when I try to compile the shaders:

DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path "blahblahblah/game/Assets/echoLogin/Shaders/Light/echologin_shaderoptions.cginc".
    System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/c514da0c8183631c/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/FileStream.cs:292)
    System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
    (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream:.ctor (string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare)
    System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor (System.String path, Boolean append, System.Text.Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/c514da0c8183631c/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/StreamWriter.cs:124)
    System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor (System.String path)
    (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.StreamWriter:.ctor (string)
    EchoCoreManagerEditorSetup.CompileShaders () (at Assets/echoLogin/Editor/EchoCoreManagerEditorSetup.cs:87)
    EchoCoreManagerEditorSetup.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/echoLogin/Editor/EchoCoreManagerEditorSetup.cs:368)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditors (Boolean isRepaintEvent, UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, Boolean eyeDropperDirty)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

4. gshape

gshape

The fix works fine!! I tested on iPhone 5S and the problem seems gone now!!
    Amazing support and product!! Thanks again and looking forward to your new Post FX asset. :-D

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  5. echologin

echologin

Yea the framework needs to be in the installed folders because a lot of the shaders depend on other files and i need to know where they are.

As u can see in one of the errors its looking for the shaderoptions.cginc file that file is generated by EchoCoreManager then used by shaders to know what to compile.

6. echologin

echologin

Thanks !!

BTW: the PostFX thing will be a separate asset from framework ( pro only )

7. ClockworkWolf

ClockworkWolf

Thanks EchoLogin, no worries, it's more of an organization thing. :)

I'm using your light/reflective/2tex shader at the moment, it's very nice! Also love the glows. Won't have known how to write those. Cheers!

8. echologin

echologin

I have a new reflective with specular ( looks good on cars/metal things ) in next update ( if you want to try beta just PM me invoice # )

9. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

@Echologin: i have a project using cartoon/toon effect(think borderland) with metal textures(need reflective with specular), terrain texture, other bio element. can I achieve this from your shaders?

10. echologin

echologin

Not at the moment I could add those ( but I have to get my new asset out 1st )

11. echologin

echologin

Next update is almost ready, just going to have it tested for a week or so....

12. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

sweet can you tell us what are the changes?

13. SteveJ

SteveJ

@echoLogin - how's the post processing effects pack coming along?

14. echologin

echologin

I have one more thing to program into it, then its ready for testing.

( hope to have that one more thing done by end of day 2maro )

15. SteveJ

SteveJ

Want it!

:)

16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Seen it in action, I think its really cool how you design your own post FX and layer them. Seen predator stuff, heat shimmers etc. Really cool (60fps on ancient mobiles).

17. SteveJ

SteveJ

Sounds awesome. Really looking forward to it...

@echoLogin - no pressure though :)

18. echologin

echologin

im at the 100% stress level now, any more pressure will not affect me :)

19. echologin

echologin

by ancient mobile he means the 3gs, the postfx can run multiple simultaneous effects with up to 2 passes 60fps on 3gs ( in most cases, and obviously just doing 1 pass is faster )

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

A friend wants core framework and is asking if you are going to be putting the price up soon since it says on sale right now?

21. echologin

echologin

soon!

22. derkoi

derkoi

Hi,

Any tips on how to get self illuminated shaders to work? No matter what I put in the alpha slot, i can't control where the illuminated parts are, the whole thing stays illuminated.

Also I tried the main directional light as a spot light but the beam isn't round, is there some resolution setting or something?

Cheers

23. echologin

echologin

The Self Illum shaders are for beast lightmapping, u should put the Light on alpha channel on the 2nd texture slot called light ( a )

The spotlight needs more triangles on object it hits if that is the case. ( eventually I will make it all calculated per pixel )

24. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks for clearing that up.

Is there a shader that gives me the effect below (blue lights) by using an alpha channel on the material? I assumed that's what self illuminating shaders did that.

$sci_fi_tanks1_banner3.jpg

25. echologin

echologin

any shader with "lightmap" in name

26. metaleap

metaleap

Wait so the "lightmap" shaders are about self-illum / emission, rather than about, you know, "lightmapping"? Well the more you know! I gotta scoop these out now :D

27. echologin

echologin

yes anything in my shaders called lightmap ( nothing to do with beast ) lets the alpha channel dictate what is full bright or lit by lights ( or any value in between )

Self Illum are really only useful for static objects using Beast lightmaping.

( same concept just made for different uses, one for realtime lights, other for beast )

28. derkoi

derkoi

Awesome.

I think it'd be really handy to have a list of your shaders with the Unity equivalent alongside them, so we can find the best one to use when replacing Unity shaders.

29. sicga123

sicga123

+1

30. echologin

echologin

( sorry for delay moving to a new place again )

That be a hard call other than the most simple shaders there is no exact 1 to 1 mapping of my shaders and unitys.

Unity shaders are general purpose. where as most of mine where made for a specific task

Once i get v2.0 out ( wont be for a while ) there will be a lot less shaders but with per material options so it will be easier to use.

31. fred_gds

fred_gds

I'm currently thinking about buying the asset but I have a couple of questions.

1.) Would it increase performance on a simple diffuse (I have many diffuse shaders with a single )
    2.) I am also using many trees wich have the nature tree soft occlusion shader on them. Would there be a ready to use shader. So that I just need to make a few clicks to switch the shaders?

32. echologin

echologin

1) "I have many diffuse shaders with a single" << with a single what ? ( i do have normal diffuse lit shaders )

2) I have a few lit and unlit cutout shaders for trees.

33. fred_gds

fred_gds

I forgot a word ;) with a single texture.

34. Toad

Toad

Any update on the post-processing effects?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  35. echologin

echologin

its done and in testing, would be out now just i had to move again just got unpacked to point today where i could work again.

36. Toad

Toad

Cool, looking forward to the release!

37. paulygons

paulygons

Hi, I've been trying to instantiate a prefab that contains a point light (with the echoLight script on it). I read in the latest 1.2 ReadMe:
    "All EchoGameObject(s) in the scene must be active in order for CoreFramework to register them." I assumed this did not mean active at start. My question, is it possible to instantiate objects and lights at all if I want to use CF shaders? I've been changing things up for hours now and have yet to make this work, including: enabling "main point light" and "specular/rim/ramp", 4 extra point lights, also with specular "affect shaders of type"... etc, etc.

To make it simple, when I have the point light already in the scene, it works fine, when It's instantiated as part of a prefab it does nothing. It's slowly dawning on me that the readme is not fooling around, if you want this stuff to work it better exit in the scene to start with. Am I being daft here?
    P.S. I'm not slamming the product btw, I have no doubt this is user related. I've been impressed with the massive amount of work all these shaders represent!
    P.S.S. I know echoLogin has his hands full with stuff ATM, any other CF veterans have some wisdom about this?

38. echologin

echologin

Do you have Skype ? ( if so what is your skype name )

In the ObjectPooling sample project it shows how to spawn lights.

Also make sure the lights being spawned are set as "Not Important" and make sure the 4 Extra light option is set in EchoCoreManager.

39. paulygons

paulygons

Let the record show, on a Saturday near midnight (for me), echologin is ON THE CASE. If anyone question's your commitment, send them to me! //said like Gimli from LOTR

I recall seeing that demo, I'll go back and study up with it, thank you for the reminder.

edit: "Not Important" was spot on and solved it. Thanks again!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  40. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I originally bought this for some quick optimized mobile shader options.

The more I explore it and look deeper into it, I find more aspects of it to be not only useful, but invaluable. It is an incredible value and an extremely valuable asset.

There are very few of the hundreds of assets I have bought that would recommend at all. There are a very few that I would recommend, and then only for specific needs. CORE I would recommend enthusiastically as useful toolset for most projects. There is always something useful in it for many situations.

41. echologin

echologin

Thanks !! wait till i go unity 4 only it will be better and easier to use

I actually made this for a base to one day make a game for myself ( raptor 2 ),
    I thought selling it would not only make money but make it a better product along the way.

42. echologin

echologin

43. paulygons

paulygons

Hi again. Another starter question: I noticed things get weird with my prior scripts that turn lights on and off using SetActive(false). Specifically, they don't turn off, even when I manually turn it back on, and toggle the EchoLight script's "Light On" value to off. To be specific, the light GO turns off, but the objects using CF shaders still show the last active lighting effect. The only ways I've found to really turn the light off is to leave the light active and set the color to black, set the intensity to zero, or maybe use the OnDisable/OnEnable functions script (so not accessible in the editor when testing and messing with stuff). From a resource standpoint I'm assuming that it's worth getting the EchoLight component and calling OnDisable, otherwise the light, though black, or intensity zero, is still eating time with EchoCoreManager.

The question, finally, before I redo my code that rely's on SetActive, am I missing something or do I need to operate this way henceforth when using CF stuff?

44. echologin

echologin

That might have been a bug i fixed, send em your invoice # via PM or add me to Skype "echoLogin" and i will send you the latest version.
    Turning the game object on and off should work ( it needs this so OnEnable and OnDisable can be called )

45. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

I've got a question related to the shield and dissolve shaders. I'm new to using the CORE shaders, but it seems pretty straightforward so far.

I want to use the shield hit shader for a sci-fi effect when projectiles hit a GameObect, then when the shields go down, instead of the "shields down" effect from the shields demo scene, I want to transition to a dissolve effect. I've almost got it working (I think). I have the shield hit material set up the way I want, and it works fine when calling EchoFXEvent.ShieldHit_echoShader.

So when it's time for shields to go down, I switch the GameObject's renderer to a different material set up with one of the dissolve shaders (echoLogin/Transparent/Dissolve/20-Burn specifically).

The shield hits do work. In order to transition to the dissolve effect, I do this:

Code (csharp):
    2.         this.renderer.material = CollapsingShieldMaterial;    // Switch to the dissolve material
    4.         EchoFXEvent efx;
    5.         EchoFXEvent.Animate_echoAlpha(this, 0.5f, 0.5f);    // Set the alpha to 50%
    7.         this.renderer.enabled = true;    // Re-enable the renderer
    8.         efx = EchoFXEvent.Dissolve_echoShader(this, -0.5f, 1.5f, 2.0f);    // Fire off the dissolve animation
    It does switch to the dissolve material, and I can see it at 50% alpha, but the dissolve animation doesn't happen. When I try the dissolve material on a separate GameObject, it does work.

Any ideas on what I can do to get that working? Maybe there are just some values that need to be reset? Worst case I suppose I could swap GameObject's, but that's not ideal.

Thanks!

46. echologin

echologin

The problem is the system doesn't know about the new materials properties.

Look in the sample projects ( Dissolve one )
    I use the alternate material on an EchoGameObject.
    You could make dissolve the alternate to shield

Just drag dissolve over to Alternate Materials slot on EchoGameObject

then call SwapMaterial() on a EchoGameObject ( see SphereBrain.cs in Dissolve project )

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  47. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Thanks for the reply!

OK, that works, except that before I even do the SwapMaterial() call, the cool location-specific "hit" on the shield effect stops working. It's definitely closer than what I had though.

48. echologin

echologin

Well yes u cant switch shaders and have effect of the last shader. The only solution would be to make a dissolve-shield shader.

Ill keep that in mind for future updates.

49. echologin

echologin

Finding people giving away my asset for free is just a little disheartening. Everytime my sales drop i can find someone passing around a link to download my stuff w/o paying. You would think Game Developers would be better than this since they want people to buy not pirate their own games.

Ive heard people say "they wouldn't buy it anyways" but for months now i see a direct correlation with people posting links, me getting links removed and sales.

Im not talking about a little drop its night and day difference.

50. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

No, just the mere existence of the alternate shader being assigned causes the hit *part* of the shield effect to stop working, even before the SwapMaterial call. It still does the flicker part of the shader, just not the part that lights up where the collision occurred.