Search Unity

copyright Strike Problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mohanadGadamse, Jan 8, 2017.

1. mohanadGadamse

mohanadGadamse

i don't have too much Knowledge in legal issues , but i'm asking about your Experiences in this issue , and my question is , if use the free assets from the assets store is there anyone Claims that you steal assets from has game ?, or maybe the assets publisher itself claim this , even if the assets are for free?, my second question is how you can solve the problem and prove that you have the right to use this assets? .

thank you and Sorry for my English

2. BubyMB

BubyMB

In most cases, most assets can be used but non-commercially. It normally says.

mohanadGadamse likes this.
  3. neginfinity

neginfinity

This is incorrect.

Unless there's a separate license for the asset you bought, all assets are subject to asset store eula.
    https://unity3d.com/legal/as_terms
    And:
    Basically, you can use assets you buy from unity asset store for making games and interactive media. You are allowed to redistribute them as part of your games/media, BUT you are not allowed to resell them, lease them, distribute derivative works based on assets on their own, etc. Also, unity assets (as far as I'm aware) can be used in any game engine.

As long as you adhere to the license, you should not receive a copyright strike.

Jacob_Unity, Amon, Ryiah and 4 others like this.
  4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

What @neginfinity said.

You can't get a copyright infringement if you have written permission from the copyright owner to use the assets. Which on the asset store you do. (Within certain parameters in the agreements as above.)

5. 00christian00

00christian00

That is if the assets are legal to begin with. As far as I remember Unity doesn't take any responsibility over what is distributed on their store. So if somebody distribute ripped models and the owner file a lawsuit you are on your own.

6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Well no, as long as you acted in good faith, you have grounds to pass the lawsuit on to the asset creator. They did after all guarantee that they had the rights to distribute the asset when they loaded it to the store.

Sure you'll have to remove the assets from your game, which can be painful. But with a decent lawyer you shouldn't actually end up with any legal penalties.

mohanadGadamse and Ryiah like this.
  7. Ryiah

Ryiah

mohanadGadamse and 00christian00 like this.
  8. N1warhead

N1warhead

One of these days i'm so going to get one.. I really wanted the Lamborghini Reventon. But sadly they only made a few of them. Sorry not trying to get off-topic. They are just my favorite cars lol.

Ryiah and mohanadGadamse like this.
  9. mohanadGadamse

mohanadGadamse

how to solve the problem in this situation

10. Murgilod

Murgilod

Hire a lawyer.

N1warhead, Ryiah and theANMATOR2b like this.