Search Unity

Copyright Notice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AQAGA, May 25, 2020.

1. AQAGA

AQAGA

After doing some searching, i found that if you buy or use a free asset from the asset store that is not restricted, you are not obligated to include a copyright notice iside your game or somewhere else. Right?

2. AQAGA

AQAGA

But what do i do, if the same asset is published on github with MIT license, which obligates you to include a copyright notice?

3. CityGen3D

CityGen3D

If you purchase an asset from the Asset Store you only have to be concerned with the Unity EULA that governs that purchase unless it's explicitly stated to you otherwise when you purchase it.

So it doesn't really matter what it says elsewhere. Although obviously it would be a bit of a concern if you found an asset being distributed under a different license and clearly by a different individual or company, because it would imply that one of the distributions wasn't legitimate.

But aside from that specific scenario, I don't think it's something you have to worry about.

Although obviously it's quite nice to credit other developers and artists where appropriate anyway, regardless of your legal obligation :)

SparrowGS, Socrates and AQAGA like this.
  4. AQAGA

AQAGA

Thank you for your answer!
    This is also the case with free Assets, right? Just want to make sure:)

5. CityGen3D

CityGen3D

Yes, with the usual caveats that I'm not a lawyer!
    The key thing to point out really is that the developer of the asset would have agreed to the Unity license in order for it to be on the Asset Store in the first place, so they can't override it elsewhere.

But if you have concerns over a particular asset for whatever reason, you should talk to the asset developer specifically. There's no other reassurance a third party can give you beyond reemphasising the EULA.

Last edited: May 25, 2020